Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Water Pump But Coolant is still Leaking Somewhere

20K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  91SHOPlus 
#1 ·
I am having yet another problem with my Mali. I have a 2009 2LT 3.6 V6. About a month ago i noticed that my coolant was leaking out under the passenger side of the vehicle. I took it to the dealership and it was my water pump. It was replaced under my 5yr/100,000 mile warranty.

Now, only weeks later, I looked under the hood and the coolant was almost empty. I took it to my mechanic and he said that there is another leak somewhere but he couldnt quite point out where it is. He did say that its by the water pump however. I havent noticed any spots on the driveway like I did before i got the water pump replaced.

Now im afraid to take it back to Chevrolet because if they check it and it turns out to be something not covered under warranty i will have to pay $100 just for them looking at it.

Any ideas on where this leak could be coming from? I know there are a lot of places coolant can leak from.

#3 ·
Ill look to see if I notice any coolant anywhere under the hood tomorrow. But the mechanic I took it to couldnt pin point it. Im pretty sure Chevy could but I dont have $100 for the diagnostic test if it turns up to be something not covered under my warranty. Whatever it is, it seems to be leaking pretty fast because it was full this morning and now when i got off work tonight i checked it and it was 3/4 full.

#4 ·
You took it there to have the leak fixed. Their first attempt failed so you shouldn't have to pay the deductible again since it's a come-back, not a new issue.

#5 ·
True. That's how I see it. Now if it's something covered under warranty I don't have to pay anything at all. But I called them again and he told me if the check it and its something not covered I have to pay them for looking at it.

#6 ·
I would argue the point with them that since they already took on the task of fixing the leak and it still isn't done, there shouldn't be any further charges for "looking" at it since they apparently didn't check the quality of their work before letting out of their garage.

#7 ·
I took it to Chevy this morning. They called and said its the Upper Radiator seal. Its not covered under warranty and its $289+tax to fix. Now my car is stuck in the shop until i can get $95 to get it out.... Im so upset.. I really can't stand dealerships.

#8 ·
Did you take it there the first time and say, "Change the water pump"? Or did you take it there and say, "There's a leak. Tell me what it is"?

If the former then you're sunk because they did as requested. But if the latter then why do they get to charge more to do the job they were paid to do the first time but apparently failed to correct?

#9 ·
When I took it the first time I told them that there was a leak. I told them that I think its the water pump. They said they will test and see what it is. They did a pressure test and confirmed that it was the water pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.