Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Failing Cat at 110K

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Rodents 
#1 ·
Hey All

Well looks like my Catalytic converter is shot. It started around 105K and now at 110K my gas mileage is down to 23mpg all highway (I drive roughly 120 miles a day all freeway).

Is the warranty still just the federal 80K, or is it the 100K (either doesnt help)?

Here is my frustration, this car has been a hassle from about 50K on, it kept over heating and it was at the dealer for over a month last year (in total not at once). It took them 4 times to diagnose what was wrong, which eventually turned out to be a cracked engine block. It was replaced under warranty finally at 65K miles. So I have about 55K on the new engine.

Here is my question, do I bother going to the dealer to plead my case that a cracked engine block could have caused the failure in the cat over time or is the cat just going to die at around 100K?

Anyone know the cost to replace the cat? I know in CA it is a touchy subject as to who can do it but would rather keep the car as it is paid off and not scrap it due to the cat.

This is a 2009 Malibu, 2.4L

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Gurudel,
Sorry to hear about the issues your vehicle is experiencing. I can look into your warranty information and your vehicle's issues if you'd like. Please message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage and name of dealer and I'll see what information I can find for you.

Thank you,
Sara
Chevrolet Customer Service

#5 ·
Given a P0420 code I agree with you then. There was a warranty extension on the 2.4l engine cat for certain model years but I can't remember the details off the top of my head. Our GM CS agent can find out. I wasn't aware there were any rules as to who can do the replacement but CA may have such rules, I just don't know. A muffler shop will generally cost less than a dealer. On the 2.4L the cat & the exhaust manifold is a single unit. Good news is there's only one cat. I don't want to guesstimate on local replacement cost. Best way to get an idea is to call several muffler shops with your car info.

#7 ·
10134B was special coverage but it did not include the '09 model year. You have nothing to lose taking up the case with the dealer or GM but trying to tie it back to an engine failure 55K ago probably won't work. If the exhaust manifold has cracked in the 'Y' area between #2 and #3 cylinders though, that may be in your favor. There is a bulletin, PIP4858, which describes just such a failure and the P0420 and a loss of power concern. There is a heat shield that covers this area from view without removing the shield. It's not hard to get this off though, just a few bolts. If the manifold has cracked, you could argue that as your reason for requesting goodwill. It is a common problem. Goodwill may not be 100% of the cost, but even a 50/50 split is a gesture of kindness at 110K. Keep your cool and be persistent, may take some back and forth conversation. Let Michele or Sara help you from here on the forum. I believe you will find it very hard to find a CARB certified catalytic converter, if not impossible, the car is still pretty new. I did see one in the Rockauto catalog, but it is NOT CARB certified. Good luck.

#9 ·
As an update, the warranty is good on my car until 150,010 for emissions equipment. As such, the dealer gladly took the car in, put me in a rental and sent me on my way as they replace the cat. Many thanks to Sara and my dealer Lake Chevrolet. I am due to get my car back today and will update once I get it.

#11 ·
Hello, I have a 2010 Malibu LS 2.4 L that has a code P0420 and a cracked exhaust manifold. I have seen the VISS on the car and it has the PZEZ warranty listed, but I am Mississippi, not one of the PZEZ states. The car has around 115,000 miles on it. Can anybody tell me if this can be covered in a non- PZEZ state? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.