Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heater Core Replacement

43K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  MJBuchanan77 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever changed a heater core on a 2005 chevrolet malibu before or know somebody that has? And if so, do you have any pictures or step by step instructions on how to did it? I've changed heater cores before but never on a chevrolet malibu. I tried looking online and at youtube videos but there is nothing for the malibu. Any help would be great. Thank you.

#2 ·
It's a chore....wish I could tell you some shortcuts, but really there are none. The whole dash needs to come out, be rolled over, and then you can take the heater core out. You need to evacuate the A/C system, too. Drop the steering column on the floor, remove the brake pedal assembly, the accelerator pedal, the console, every plastic piece around the dash, electrical connectors on both ends of the dash, under the dash, at the console.
I'm in the middle of an '06 right now that belongs to my girlfriends sister. Every shop she took it to turned her down, or priced themselves out of it. Book time is a minimum of 6 hours, up to 7.5+.
If I haven't scared you yet, you can do it. The two biggest things you're gonna need is patience and confidence. I'll try to check back and see if you have anymore questions, but I don't get on here often. Anyway, good luck, I hope I've helped at least a little.

Travis

#4 · (Edited)
Sorry to check back in late, but a Spectra Premium is just fine. The exact same brand that I put in.

Just thought I'd add one important minor detail...before you drop the steering column, or the brake pedal bracket, just remove the brake light switch....wayyy too easy to break. One bolt and one connector to remove.

Travis

#5 ·
Thank you for the tip.

Just one question, there are about ten mounting points holding the heater core cover onto the housing which has to be removed but it looks like they have to be drilled out or something. Did you have to drill them out? if so, what size drill bit did you use?

#7 ·
The heater core replacement was a success! The heat works great in the car now but after i put everything back together and took it for a test drive the cruise control wouldn't work. Any ideas? The on button on the left hand side of the steering wheel lights up but i can't set a speed.

#8 ·
Check to see if your brakes lights are on, if the hood latch switch is sensing the hood closed, and if there is a CEL (check engine light) illuminated. Those will prevent CC operation.

#9 ·
Dang, I'd almost have to agree on the brake lights being on...that would be the most obvious thing after moving the dash and all... If the brake pedal is moved even a slight amount, the cruise will not operate. If you have access to a scanner it will usually tell you why the cruise will not operate.
Good to hear that the heater core replacement did go well, though.

Travis

#10 ·
I only drive the car once since i did the heater core and i never noticed if the brake lights were on or not. There is no check engine light on so would a code reader work to diagnose the problem? I will check the brakelights tonight and let you know about that.

#11 · (Edited)
OK, travis I am stuck. I am down to the dash carriage or frame or whatever they call it. The base metal frame that everything else bolts too. I have removed the hoses and the bolts I removed the bolts that bolt it to the car frame but I still cannot seem to break it loose. All the manuals I can find seem to fall short of this last step. I am sure I am missing some bolts, clips, or something that is preventing me from rolling this forward so I can remove it and replace the core. You sound like you know the process, what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.