Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HID Bulb Question

7K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  itsbmw 
#1 ·
I got HID bulbs put on about 8 months ago. The driver side bulb today went halfway out. It still half way works. Its like the side of the bulb stopped working and the front still works. They are 8000k. But the one thats halfway out looks white now instead of blue. Would that be the bulb? Or the Ballast? Also the guy who installed the bulb told me I would have to take the bumper off to change the bulb does that sound right?

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
It could be either the bulb or the ballast. From your description, I'd say bulb. And yes, you do have to take the bumper off on your car (or so all I've heard says).

RwP

#5 ·
What makes it sound like the bulb is the "only from the front, not the side" comment.

Tell you the truth, first thing I'd do is install a good relay harness.

Then second I'd order a new full set from someplace like DDM Tuning (my favorite, dunno about service, I haven't needed any from them!) and replace both bulbs and ballasts. Put the old ones in storage, marking them, in case you need a spare.

As to life - I dunno, I've got a couple of years on both of my sets, but they're high beam only (I run HIRs for low beams in the Cougar, and did in the Malibu until ... well, read my signature.)

RwP

#6 ·
I don't know if the same thing would apply but i have a set of cheap ballasts set up with my fog lights and if they have been on for a while and then you switch them off and on one of them doesn't work because i assume the ballast gets too hot and needs too cool and it could be that you are having the same problem, try switching the bulbs from one ballast to the other to see if the problem changes to the other light or you have the problem on the same side and that will tell you if it's the bulb or the ballast

#7 ·
Well its when I first turn them on. So I don't think they could be overheating. I dont really have the money to replace everything. I got all this installed at a place thats closed now but the ballast is still under warranty. So im gonna start with the bulbs. Do you know what type for connectors i would need for the bulbs? Ugh this is becoming a pain. No one works on HID lights around here.

#8 ·
well before you spend too much money on some bulbs try switching your current bulbs around to make sure it's just the bulb itself. I'm not sure how they installed your ballasts but if you have to take your bumper off to get to them it may be kind of tricky but it would be better than spending a fortune on something that wasn't actually broken

#13 ·
You should do a proper retrofit. HIDs are not meant for reflectors. But since no one seems to listen to me when I say that, at least save yourself headache and get a nice HID kit with a harness. Go to The retrofit source and get one of their 3Five kits with the relay.

#14 ·
What do you mean HID's are not meant for reflectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.