Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Service Traction" & "Reduced Engine Power"

211K views 78 replies 47 participants last post by  Colt Hero 
#1 ·
I am having problems with my 2011 Malibu LT. It will randomly read "service traction" and "reduced engine power". I have had the car for only 3 weeks and had to have it towed with the dealer plates still on it last weekend. They said they fixed some of the terminals but this morning it happened again. Its in the shop for a second time and they are replacing the throttle body...Extremely frustrating and dangerous...as it happened the second time right before I was going on the freeway...Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?

#2 ·
Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?
Have you searched around on here a little?

That sounds strangely familiar......and an unusual combination of symptoms, I think.

It might be a symptom of a general electrical failure.....ie. low voltage due to a bad battery, loose connections or failed charging system (but that is somewhat of a guess).

It sounds to me like they are making wild guesses too. :(

I strongly urge you to NOT take it back from them until they can drive it for 100 miles or 3 days without the failure happening again.

You might ask them if they have done a thorough search of their "service bulletins". Believe it or not, sometimes they don't.

#3 ·
Without knowing which codes it popped I can only speculate but that "engine power reduced" message comes from the throttle actuator control (TAC) system & is often resolved by replacing the throttle body assy. The "service traction" message is set for a long list of problems. It is typically set in response to a primary issue. In your case, a TAC problem.

#4 ·
If you're having TAC problems, there are no guaranteed solutions. There are throttle position sensor problems sometimes, which is serviced as part of the throttle body ususally. There have been terminal crimp problems from time to time and there have been wiring issues between the throttle body and the ECM. The problem when it occurs usually doesn't stay current very long. It fails for a brief moment and then works again. The car won't clear itself until you cycle the ignition OFF and ON, it's designed that way.

As for driving the vehicle for 3 days or 100 miles, that may sound good to some of you but there are people that freak if you put 5 miles on their car. Even if you drive it a month and a thousand miles, there are no guarantees. MK with all the codes we have and all the computer controls available to us, unfortunately you do sometimes have to go with your best hunch/guess/shotgun to try to fix the car. How do you diagnose a concern that you see for one single frame of data on a snapshot of data? I know it's fun to bash the tech working on the car and call him an idiot when he doesn't fix it, but I haven't yet found a repair person in any field that nails it 100% of the time.

#7 ·
I know it's fun to bash the tech working on the car and call him an idiot when he doesn't fix it, but I haven't yet found a repair person in any field that nails it 100% of the time.
I think you will find that I deal out harsh criticism pretty carefully.

The only "mechanics" I consider idiots are those who say: " There are no codes set so obviously there is NOT a problem"........as he stands beside a car that is shuddering and blowing smoke out the back. :eek:

Milder criticism comes a bit easier though. ;)

#9 ·
I am currently ha in this problem with my 2008 Malibu and we haven't found d anything wrong nor any codes. Both my mechanic and the dealership agree this is likely a problem with the engine wiring harness, but I was hoping to look online to see if anyone had resolved it and there seems to be no definite answer.

#11 ·
I am currently dealing with this issue. So right now i am in the process of having gm review this because to me this is was a manufacturing issue that is not our fault to where we would have to pay for this because there shouldnt be anything wrong with our newer cars. I have a 2011 malibu and i am recieving the same message which is the throttle sensor. I seriously am trying to find people with the same issue in order for them to take a look at this and give us a well deserved recall on the car... And to repay any consumers for what they have paid in repairs. If you are one of those people please let me know and also call 1800-222-1020 place your complaint so they can take this seriously and provide us a new car

#12 ·
Had the same issue. Paid about $500 to replace the throttle body. Called the GM 800 number in the back of my owners manual and asked them to open a "Case number", and explained my dissatifaction with this (only have 62k miles). GM contacted my dealer, and the dealer reimbursed me about $400 of my repair ticket. I was satisfied, and as a result, will continue to buy GM products! It never hurts to ask.

#13 ·
I have a 2012 Malibu with only 51,000 miles on it! Got the same message, "reduced engine power", "traction", etc. I just paid $110 for a new accelerator pedal position sensor, which the dealer let me know that I could NOT bring back once I had hooked it up. This problem is WIDESPREAD across all years and makes. Really disghusting that GM has not recalled this. I am so tired of this stuff. I have purchased GM products my entire life. I will NEVER make that mistake again. Sorry, for being so negative about this, but it truly is ridiculous. They have these electrical parts made in China as cheaply as they can to maximize their profits, while quality goes right out the window, and we are the ones left holding the bag! Get off your rearends GM and do something about this.

#14 ·
You'll find a comment I made to your other post. You're just as upset as the rest of us who've experienced this, and have every right to be.

#15 ·
so here is my question to you all, im having the same issue and cannot seem to find the problem to the issue. my question is when you car completely shuts off and dies, does it drain your battery, and need to be jumped!? I've put a new alternator and battery in it, and my problem is still persisting. thanks in advance.

#19 ·
Search the forum for "fretting corrosion" and see if that helps you. It could be that simple, or it could be more involved.

#24 ·
Best answered by a dealer's service department. Emissions are covered longer than B2B, and each year the B2B terms change what's covered and what isn't. Powertrain may also cover it. Or not.

#25 ·
I had the same issue with my 2008 yesterday. Fired it up in the morning and it sputtered and rocked. The "reduced engine power" flashed on the dash and then "service traction". I turned it off and sat for a minute then tried again and it fired up no problem. LTere I the day I stopped for an appointment and came back out and nothing! Just a click and then all the power would drop off. It reset the clock on my radio and everything! It would not start for an hour until a tow truck arrived of course, then it fired right up! Drove it straight to the dealer as this is the second time this has happened this year. Back in May I had the ECM replaced as they said that was the problem.

This time they did the recall work for the BCM and charged the battery, also replaced in May, and it fired right up. Time will tell if the fix is the BCM recall or just another trip waisted!

I'll keep you posted!

#26 ·
I have a '09 Malibu with a simiLAR PROBLEM EXCEPT the episodes end in a complete shutdown and I have only had enough power to get to the roadside or a parking space. At first I had it towed X2 and then discovered that I could re start after 15 min. or so. Mechanic after $ 500 and a coupla parts I had the car and the second day out more episodes occurred . The shop kept it for 6 days trying to experience the problem. An episode did leave the tech at the side of the road and he "scanned the electrical and pronounced that the Fuse Block under the hood was needing replacement and another 4 days waiting for the part. I have had the car back for 2 days and my fingers are still crossed. Shop was pretty confident, we will see.

#27 ·
I have had my 2012 in the shop twice for the same problem, every time it rains it seems to happen. My problem came three weeks apart, the first time they kept the car for a week, three weeks later it rained again and I was on the highway. This time in a different state and they had the car fixed in one day. Thankful that it is still under warranty.

#28 ·
Glad to hear your dealership has been able to make the necessary repairs for the traction control and reduced engine power, robynd. We certainly understand the inconvenience of having to return to the dealership. If you'd like for us to document this issue within our system for future reference, please feel free to private message us your VIN and full contact information.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#29 ·
I have 2009 Malibu (bought new) and have similar problems from fall 2012 to present. Problems with thermostat, temp sensor, throttle, camshaft actuator sensor, loose terminal at a cylinder. Replaced thermostat/sensor twice, (now at mechanic and being replaced 3rd time). Two mechanics and dealer service center with no resolve. Intermittent problem and each time repairs are done it runs fine for some time, but never completely fixed, problem returns. Initially started with temp gauge not working/thermostat problems then going into reduced power mode. Now just went directly to reduce power mode. Car now out of warranty. Problems noted in forums all over, but no solutions. Temporary fix was cleaning throttle and/or MAF senor, but no vehicle should require that or regular replacement of thermostat/temp sensor. Extremely reluctant to take it to a dealer for service unless I know they have dealt with/resolved these specific problems on other vehicles they've serviced. Seems for the amount of complaints, some identification as to the cause(s) should be arrived at by GM by now.

#30 ·
Well here I come, joining the club.. 2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 V6. 140,000 Miles. Lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin.... driving back from my vacation in Tennessee. 70 MPH on the highway, and BOOM, ENG PWR REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION, SERVICE ESC, dropped me down to 20 MPH, and little to no acceleration available. Now take to take it back a little bit. I did notice back in November my car was idling funny , I thought nothing of it, it wasn't severe, I thought it was just the cold weather. because it would stop after a while. Then on our drive down to Tennessee, I noticed my car was again accelerating funny, and RPMS would dive up and down with cruise control on, or on a decline terrain. I thought man, something's just not right. Thank god our break down happened only 120 miles from home, and not 600. So I got it to the technicians. they plugged it in. And Said its the Throttle body. reading around here, and other sources. this hopefully is the fix. we will have to see... any advice would help :)

#32 ·
Seems very odd to me that the throttle body is the cause. I relayed this story a few years ago and I will share it again here in case it helps anyone.

I bought my 09 LT in Feb 2012 with 13,000 miles on it. Two months later I get in to start it and all Hell broke loose. The door locks started cycling up and down, all available chimes were going off simultaneously, the blue indicator lights in the console showing shift position were cycling through sequentially, the driver info window was flashing the reduced engine power and ECS system warnings, I shift the car into reverse and it slammed hard. I realized later the car was in "limp home" mode - that's like stuck in 3rd gear or something, and you have to start out very slow and can't drive very fast.

All pretty scary stuff.

Very long story short - dealer diagnosed quickly that the main fuse box was shorted out. $385 all in to replace(6 weeks out of warranty) and it has never acted up again.

#31 ·
See if the 13036 recall has been done. BCM connections get cleaned and greased, and a new zip tie added.

Also, check the condition of the battery. The Battery?!?!? Yep, it can cause all sorts of funny issues that you wouldn't expect to be related, but it has happened too many times to too many members. If it's not bad then the free check will be reassuring at the very least.

Also see if the 3-5-R wave plate (transmission) has been upgraded. The earlier models (usually '08-'09) failed prematurely so you may be okay, but check on it anyway if you can get them to do it.

I hope the TB solves your issue. Please keep us posted with what you find out.

#33 ·
More on my 09 Malibu again. I've had work done on the throttle body and problem returned. Currently in service now and having TB work done again. Although temp gauge did not stop working or do so intermittently as in past, scan showed was not running at high enough temp and mechanic said thermostat went bad (now 3rd time) - He was surprised by it's appearance. I believe he said it appear to have opened up to quick or something. Never had problems with other significant electrical issues other than key fobs stopped working (was told using remote start wears those out??) and the chime when manually setting doors to lock is muted, but they still work. Thought that my temporary fix to clean TB may have worked by indirectly affecting something else - like bad connections wiring harness at MAF or TPS, so checked those and appear fine. Mechanic was also looking at something at accelerator pedal and drain plug from sunroof mentioned in a bulletin possibly cause problems in engine compartment.

Thinking there has to be some electrical problem since all previous work and re-work has only been temporary fixes. After seeing the message about the fuse box. Will mention that to him.

#35 ·
My independent mechanic replaced the throttle body as well. I didn't re-post till now to make sure problem was fixed.

Dealer never diagnosed problem with throttle earlier. Not sure if it was too intermittent at that time to detect (and still under warranty). My mechanic kept the car for a few days and drove multiple times with scan tool on tracking codes each drive. When reduced powermode occurred they cleared codes and car ran fine for a few miles and would then recur. They traced problem to sensors in TB. Wish this thorough approach would have been done earlier by dealer. Mechanic mentioned that when GM moved to fly-by-wire TBs, these problems arose.

With all the complaints, GM should have had a recall on the TB. Would have saved me and many others a load of repair bills. Talked with someone a couple weeks ago who had same problem with their Silverado. Had TB replaced twice. First replacement GM dealer put in went bad in month or so after it was put in. Shameful.

Been multi-generation GM family for years. Not so sure about next purchase though.

#36 · (Edited)
My 2012 malibu ltz w/v6 is having the same problem. This happened once almost exactly one year ago in the middle of Feb. in Massachusettes while we are in a deep freeze with 2 snow storms a week. The dealer went by the codes and said the throttle body needed to be cleaned at 40k miles. This year at the same time of year it's doing it again. I knew restarting the car would reset it and wanted to see if this was some fluke that would fix itself instead of freaking out and bringing it to the shop immediately and getting another $200 throttle body cleaning that doesn't fix the problem long term. Do cars really need the throttle body cleaned once a year. I'm really upset I've been driving chevys my whole life and they have been dependable and now the newest one I've ever owned is going to have funky computer issues. I almost feel this is a designed flaw to make the service dept more money or something. I know the car is completely capable of driving if it didnt force itself into limp mode. I still need the recall fix on the bcm wiring. I'm hoping that will take care of it, but who knows with all these minor conditions that can cause it to limp. I can tell the receptionist is getting ready to suck as much money out me that they can get when she says "sir this recall is for a brake light, i dont think it has anything to do with your problem". Really? Are you a mechanic? No youre a receptionist who cant read very well because it says right on the recall description that service esc, service traction are tell tale signs of the recall condition, but she's ready to charge me another $200 for a throttle body cleaning. Every time I attempted to explain the history of this problem she cut me off. Just like the first time when I was trying to explain what the car was doing before it fixed itself. I bought an after market warranty and what really burns me is they wouldn't replace the throttle body and charge it to the warranty and have it only cost me $100 deductible. I don't think I'll be buying GM again I'd rather a hyundai or kia at this point. I didn't spend $20k to be at the shop more than the 2004 impala i was driving when it was 9 years old. Has anyone had a lasting fix with throttle body repairs or did it comeback? And to hear a dying battery could cause these kind of issues is really discouraging. Since when do batteries not let you drive the minute they get weak? Usually the car runs until it no longer has the power to start the car and it's very simple to tell what it needs. Why in the world do they make these computers so quick to put the car into an undrivable state? If it were to go from normal to limp on the highway that would be a scary situation.

#38 ·
No it did not. My first issue is that the recall on my car was only for the brake problem. But it seems that all parts of the recall should have been repaired. My 2011 Malibu LT2 is still at the dealership because the problem still exist. We need to call and complain about this issue. GM knows this problem is happening to these Malibu, but they are not taking responsibility for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.