Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LED tail lights (Gen8)

26K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  ricky 
#1 ·
I have ordered 2013 Malibu. The European version which differs so that we don't have led tail lights here. But is it possible to install those GM OEM tail lights after? Is it so easy that only tail lights are replaced or should there be also modifications for the wiring and/or control unit? What kind of leds those use? I hope not the filament leds 'cause those are not approved by the E-regulations of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.

Also it would be nice if somebody post a video how those look like in action (turn signal, reverse light, brake light). I haven't seen that in YouTube videos.

#2 ·
Re: LED tail lights

There's a member from Russia who has a '13. He ordered LED taillights for his. Search the forum and you should be able to find his posts. He talks about the part he ordered and where he got it. If you need more info you can PM (private message) him. If he's still checking in he'll get a notification and be able to respond.

#4 · (Edited)

The LED tail lights are from the LTZ model, not the european model. Unless there are 3 different styles of taillights for this car. And I believe they will just swap right out, as in all the resistors and such are on the lights, not the car.

Ive seen several on ebay already. Search ltz tail lights

#5 ·

That sounds good! And yes, I know that european model of LTZ doesn't have LED lights. Actually LTZ is the only trim that's sold here in Finland and it doesn't have the LEDs. But I think I'll order them from US 'cause I love the design that Chevy has done. So classy!

PS. Anyone has video where the LED lights are in action? :D

#6 ·

I do not know if there are any videos but if I feel a little better later tonight I will go out and take one for you.

#7 ·

I am almost positive the guy from Russia that bought the LTZ taillights said he had to mess with the wiring too.

#8 ·

Hi everybody! Long time no see! Happy new year and merry christmas.
Snowwhite, u should better to buy it from Korean web site , which i sent u as a private web link. There will be some problem with installing it because the plugs of led taillights is different. My electrician have done well. Did u find my pictures with those led taillight which i posted?

#10 ·

Hi everybody! Long time no see! Happy new year and merry christmas.
Snowwhite, u should better to buy it from Korean web site , which i sent u as a private web link. There will be some problem with installing it because the plugs of led taillights is different. My electrician have done well. Did u find my pictures with those led taillight which i posted?
Thanks, Ahadmix! There were useful information. The website tells:

"MODIFICATIONS ARE REQUIRED. You'll have to connect the wires yourself (splicing) and add a 5~10W 100ohm resistor between the brake + and - wires."

That's not bad for a modification. I think I will take that giant leap for mankind. :rolleyes:

And yes, the pics look great!

#12 ·

You are welcome anytime...
Where is your car pictures...?
I don't have the car yet. I have ordered it in late december and the car has been in dealership for about three weeks. The reason is that they have asked twice from Chevy the instructions how gasoline Webasto should be installed 'cause the model is new to them. Malibu went on sale here in late november and currently only 8 has been sold. Mine is the only gasoline car, the others are diesels and sold as taxi cars.

#14 ·

Maybe the LED lights wont directly interchange, I just read so on an eBay post that states "Halogen light harness does not interchange" in reference to the LED ones being swapped in.

#15 ·

Ok, what I have found out so far is that they really don't interchange. The plugs have to be changed and they need resistor. So, not too bad. Next I'll wait what the inspection office has to say. Are they legal here. Just waiting for a fat lady to sing... :rolleyes:

#17 ·
The only thing worse than watching that was all the suggested "fat" videos afterward.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

* shudders, just can't shake the images, looks for alcoholic beverage and/or pills to help dismiss the memory *

#20 ·
Ms. Taylor Swift has put on a few pounds, there, nutcrunch!

#25 ·
Can these ridiculous GIF exchanges stop, please. I understand its fun to see your post count go up, but adding nothing of value (such as a moving picture of Oprah Winfrey or Taylor Swift eating a hot dog) is just annoying after a little. Make your point and move on.

It makes this thread (and the others ones where you guys have done it) worthless as no one expects any useful information to be added afterwards.

#26 ·
Sorry you got so upset Joey. It has nothing to do with post counts. It's called having a sense of humor. Try it, it's fun.

Oh and...

#27 ·
Ok... Just if anyone else in Europe wonders the same thing:

I just got email from finnish inspection office. They told me that the LEDs can be approved to the finnish roads if they are european approved (e- or E-approved). Next I have to find out if they are... Nice thing this burocracy. Love it! :)

#31 ·
Rear fog lights are an extra set of lights on the back of the car that are red and illuminate as brightly as brake lights. They are separate from all the other lights so they are not mistaken for the brake lights.

A few cars here in the US have them. They turn on with the front fog lights. I'm sure they're there so the back of the vehicle can be detected in inclement weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.