Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Standard Remote Start for 2010 1LT

34K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Aztek 
#1 ·
What's up guys? Does anyone know which remote start comes with the 2010 malibus? I just got a 1LT last weekend and the dealership seems to have lost the remote keyless entry and start contollers. My car has the Power Convinience Package and I think its an AP3 remote vehicle starter system.

The dealership is going to get me some new ones and looking at the 2010 Malibu brochures it says the regular remote start is for "LS Only" which makes me thing that the new Malibus come with the 2-Way Advanced Remote. GMaccessories.com has the regular at $156 and the 2-Way (AP3) for $120...

I am supposed to get all my an extra key made and the 2 remote starts so I want to know if I should be getting the 2-Way because I think it is cooler.

#3 ·
Mine came standard with remote start. LT1 come with them standard for 2010 and yes its just a regular key fob nothing special.

#5 ·
Thanks. That's what I thought but idk why the 2010 brochure has the picture of the 2 different style fob's and the regular one has "LS Only" right under it.

I'm going to ask to see how much it would cost to upgrade to the 2-way one with the LED screen and maybe they'll let me pay the differnce since they are going to have to order new fob's anyways. I'll let you all know the price difference if they do.

#6 ·
I have the advanced two way LCD remote start on my 2009 Traverse and my only complaint is the transmitter is really thick. Probably twice as thick as the standard fob. It is my wife's car and she doesn't mind since it goes in her purse, but if I had to carry it in my pocket, I would not want it.

#7 ·
According to the Chevrolet Malibu Website, they compare different features on different models and I believe it says that Remote Start is not standard on the LS and LT1. Remote Start is Standard with the LT2 and LTZ (I have the LT2). I believe the LT1 is "Remote Start Ready", so it can be installed, but I'm not sure how. With my car, there's a button at the very top of the Key Fob with a semi-circle and an arrow at the end. It's a nice feature, but I really haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. The weather has been moderate, so I haven't had to cool or warm the interior.

One added feature of remote start is the Key Fob has a much larger range than a non-remote start key fob. My previous car had only about a 15 foot range. Today, I was a block away and I hit the lock button and it activated. That had to be several hundred feet away.

#8 ·
As I recall, the non-start fob has a "standard" range of about 30 feet, maybe more. Ya gotta be almost on top of the car for it to work. The remote start fob has the extended-range frequencies and is rated at ~196 feet. I used to have a 2-way aftermarket (Black Widow) on 2 older cars, and it would do its thing from 2 blocks away. The nicest feature was actually the 2-way. When I couldn't see the car the remote would let me know that the car had (or hadn't) received the command. Very nice! The distance was nice to have as well, but the 2-way was definitely the best feature.

#9 ·
I checked the Chevy Malibu Site. Chevy offers 2 different 2 way remote starts as a dealer installed accessory. The first is for the LS and LT1 (standard range remote). That goes for $150.00. The other is for the LT2 & LTZ (with extended range remote). That goes for $250.00. I wonder what the difference is between the two. They look identical except for the $100.00 difference. Also, if the LT2 & LTZ already come with remote start, why would you spend an extra $250 just for the 2 way feature? I can see spending $150 if you have and LS or LT1, because remote start is not standard on those models.

#10 ·
It would cost around $250-$300 to upgrade to remote start. A bit more to go with the advanced fobs. If you ask me, the advanced 2-way remotes are just to splurge...........how important is is to know what radio station the car is tuned too???? LOL!

#11 ·
I don't know what features the GM 2-way remote offers, and since it's a factory option (think: cha-ching!) I wouldn't buy it anyhow. I can get the aftermarket 2-way remote with multiple channels (for more projects) and a distance that'll certainly please me. The beauty of the 2-way is that it tells me when the command has been recognized. That way I don't have to listen for the horn or look for the flashing lights to know when it locks or does anything else. Simply put, that's why I would buy it. "Your mileage may vary."

#12 ·
My brother-in-law has a 2010 Malibu LS. I want to get him a remote starter for Christmas. I thought all I had to do is purchase one at an auto parts store, but after doing some research I want to make sure I get the right type of starter & any necessary accessories if needed (bypass?) for the LS model. The remote starter doesn't have to have all the bells & whistles, and would prefer it to be under $200 (total), but a decent one all the same - 2 way if possible.

Can someone please advise on what I should get - recommend some models, as well as what if any additional accessories needed.

Thank you.

(PS: Not very savvy in listing threads, etc. so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area - I was also trying to post as new, not a response to anyone else's message... sorry!)

#23 ·
Thank you, everyone for your quick responses to my question. After all of that, I found out that he actually has the 2010 1LT - he initially gave me the wrong info! So if I understand correctly this model has the 'set-up,' I just need the dealer to basically connect it. Now it's just a matter of getting it done without ruining the surprise!

Thanks again & Happy Holidays!

#13 ·
I would try to get one from GM, th LTZ come with the the remote start from GM. I would image the wiring is there and it would be fairly simply for GM to install. I have heard in the forum some where people paid $300-$400 from GM to have a remote start installed. I would stay away from cheap car starters, in the end you will have more problems then they are worth. a good shop will install them for around $300-$400 for the entry level.

#14 ·
If you want a GM system, check with your dealer first. The LS is the base model and that means none of the equipment needed to install the remote starter (RS) exist in the car. They might even tell you that it can't be done at a dealership, because all they really do to "install" one is reprogram the car to accept the signal - the equipment is either already all there or almost all there.

The best suggestion I can offer is this: Get an aftermarket system from a known name, like Viper or other, and have them guide you on what is needed to make their system work on your car. The 'Bu uses a Passkey (or Pass-something) system to allow the key to start the car, meaning there's a transponder in the head of the key that "talks" to the computer. If it's recognized then the car is allowed to start; if not, it doesn't. Any system you get will need to bypass this system somehow without making it easy to steal your car.

After that hurdle the rest of the system is much simpler. It just checks different inputs, like hood is shut, key is not in switch, doors locked, etc., and then starts the car for a set time.

The 2-way remote gives you 2 important features over 1-way remotes: greater distance from which to control the car, confirmation of command being received.

I hope we've helped you arrive at a decision.

#15 · (Edited)
I just had remote start installed at my GM dealer a few weeks back in my 2010 LS. It took them less than a hour, it was 245.00 installed. I would not let some local shop like Best Buy etc hack up my harness to add a aftermarket for this price.
It works great.

#16 ·
Wow, that's good to know! Thanks for sharing that info!

#17 ·
My car is also a Fleet car so it has no onstar. I can dig up my invoice and provide the part number if someone is interested in having it done. I just contacted my dealer and gave them the vin #. I scheduled to have it done, and like I said they were done with it in less than an hour. The service adviser told me the just need to turn the option on by flashing the car and program the new remotes. I thought it was pretty slick.

#19 · (Edited)
I just looked at my Registration, my vin does have (ZA) just like you stated. I was under the impression that they all could be done?? The service advisor said they do them all the time. This is from a very large dealer here in West Michigan (Berger Chevrolet). I also just checked my invoice and the p/n used was 17800737.

#22 ·
Any vehicle with RPO code AP8 can be upgraded to remote start with this kit. If you have RPO code AP3 remote start was installed at the factory.

Tip: A maximum of 4 key fob transmitters can be programmed to work with this system. Either obtain additional remote start key fob transmitters or bring the original non-remote start key fob transmitters and bring them with you to give the tech when you have the kit installed, the tech installing the system can program them to function. Most dealers will program the additional key fob transmitters at no extra charge if done at the same time as installation.

#25 · (Edited)
I'd love to have edit: someone who treated me to such a sweet treat! That's a really nice idea. I hope you can pull it off! Now we just gotta get ya a reason that'll be above suspicion.

How about telling him you wanna go wash it and vacuum it all by yourself? Nah, too easy to see thru.

You wanna decorate it. Hmm, maybe.

You wanna get some pictures of it. Nah, too cheesy.

You wanna see about getting a lip spoiler for the trunk and just can't figure out a good reason to ask him for the car. Hmmm, that might work. (Only you don't have to get him a spoiler. You're just gonna go "see", remember? ;))

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
No, no, no, that wouldn't be awkward at all. If I'm not mistaken, the person to receive this gift is her brother-in-law (I'll pull my post if you will).
I edited mine. Thanks for catching that. But I'd still like to have a girlfriend! ;)

#26 ·
Just ask him if you could drive his "new car," which will be a nice compliment towards him, because your interested in how they drive lol. Tell him your gonna go get something to eat for everyone and offer to go get it but in his car :)

#29 ·
Well, I trust my oldest sister, don't have any dealings with my other two sisters, and have never met one of my two sisters-in-law. I would let them drive it but I'd be curious what was going on, expecting something good to happen.

And if I ever am lucky (blessed) enough to have a lady friend, she'll be someone I can trust implicitly, so she'd be able to drive it just by asking, or picking up the keys and telling me she'll be back.

I guess I don't see an issue with borrowing it. And I don't think you crossed any boundary, but I don't know what you mean by "OT". ;)

#30 ·
Ok so I need your HELP!!!!!

I have a Malibu 2010 LS (ZA on the 4/5 position :S AP8 code in the dashboard)
So I bought a remote start kit from a user on this site (through ebay), which came off of his wifes car (Malibu LTZ 2009 I guess).
This kit consists of a Module (small black box), An antenna that connects to the module and 2 keyfobs (1 2way remote and 1 normal)
Part numbers are : Module GM19131602 / Antenna GM19131608.

Why i need your help is because I live on an Island on which the Local Dealer won't give any support because I imported my car out of the states and did not buy their Mexican build Bu's.

I went by a local Car Computer Technician that has a Tech 2 programmer to get the stuff installed. I called Maroone Chevrolet in Miami (from which we usualy buy parts) and they told me that the module should be placed in the rear in between the 2 speakers.
So we replaced the Old module the LS came with and put the one that came of a LTZ.
He managed to program the 2 new keyfobs (the 2 old ones will not program with the new module). But my car won't remote start!!!!!! And when we look at the settings for the car through the Tech 2 it says "Remote Start Disabled" and he doesn't get the option to enable it for some reason with his Tech 2.

Someone said earlier in this post that he got an LS to be programmed for that in the US. Can someone tell me if there is any additional programming to be done other than holding the 2 buttons on the keyfobs for the car to recognize them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.