Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaking around 60mph and when braking.

15K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mvortec24 
#1 ·
My wife has a 06 Malibu LT with a 3.5 and 130k.
In the past I have handled all of the routine and preventive maintenance on all of our personal vehicles but this is one I don't know too much about, being front wheel drive and cramped.

When we are driving and the speedometer hits 60, the steering wheel will shake and you will hear a faint rattle. Also when braking and moderate force is applied to the pedal the steering wheel will shake and the rattle is very loud.

This first started happening after we got 2 new tires installed, and alignment done at Pepboys. I have come up with a few ideas of what I think is the problem: alignment, wheel balance, warped rotors, and CV axles.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what this might be? She is also having problems with here fuel sending unit causing her gas gauge not to work.:mad:

We are the second owner of this car and it is very frustrating to me that we are having such major problems. I just replaced CV axles in my truck myself but I really don't think I can do the work on the Malibu. It is just too cramped and I no longer have access to a lift.

Thank you for all of your help as it is much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Moved from General Discussion area...

Please watch where you post...

#3 ·
@Cummins89, I’m sorry to read about the concerns you and your wife are going through with the Malibu. I recommend setting an appointment with your local Chevrolet dealership to have this addressed. By going to the dealership, if you so choose to do so, this would allow them to use genuine GM parts. This would lead to having a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty on the parts and labor. This might give you and your wife some peace of mind with things.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#4 ·
Michelle,
Unfortunately right now I am short on funds with it being the holidays and all.​

Almost every auto part I buy with the exclusion of consumables and non critical parts has a life time warranty. When the time comes that I am unable to correct the problem, I will take it into my Chevrolet dealer:mad:. At the end of the day, The government will not bail me out like they did GM, but my fellow brother, bonded by the bow-tie, will have my back and will help me solve this problem. ;)

I have been exporting with Timken for years and I know an OEM bearing when I see one. I can either pay 90 dollars for it a the dealership or 35 for it over the counter at my local auto zone.

I sure do appreciate your input into the thread Michelle! Have a nice weekend.

#5 ·
This first started happening after we got 2 new tires installed, and alignment done at Pepboys. I have come up with a few ideas of what I think is the problem: alignment, wheel balance, warped rotors, and CV axles.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what this might be? She is also having problems with here fuel sending unit causing her gas gauge not to work.:mad:
I'd start with front rotors and new pads. Usually pretty inexpensive (relatively).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.