Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 Chevy malibu front wheel bearing

17K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  retho78 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just replaced the front wheel bearing on my 2001 malibu, but now the ABS light is staying on. Is there something that I need to reset or could it be that the wheel bearing is defective?

Thanks.

#3 ·
The light would go off if there is not an issue with the system. Check to make sure the wiring is hooked up properly, like starship said. If you have an ohm meter or digital multi-meter you can measure to see if the wheel bearing is open internally by connecting to the wires coming off the bearing/sensor. Also, if you know someone with a scan toll that can pull the code for you, then you can see if it is related to the wheel speed sensor before trying to diagnose.

#4 ·
I do have a scan tool, will scan tool pick up any codes even if there is no check engine light? The ABS light is on and not the check engine light. There was no ABS light before replacing the old wheel beariing. I did connect the wires back, will check it tomorrow and see if there any lose connection?

#6 ·
That code is an oxygen sensor code, if the check engine light isn't on that is probably a history code that isn't an issue. Your scan tool probably only pulls codes for the PCM. I don't know if any places like autozone can scan for ABS codes or not; you may have to go to a shop that can pull the code for you. Most likely it will be a faulty sensor in the wheel bearing, but pulling the code saves the time if it ends up being something different.

#9 ·
That's a good idea. That would make things a whole lot easier to test.

#10 ·
Yep, will try it tomorrow and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Anyways, about the sensor which side is it and where is it located? I have some trouble sometimes while starting the car, would try to start then nothing, the try again will start up. Could the sensor be an issue. I had changed the plugs, wires and fuel filter about a year ago, because of this, but didn't make any difference. Could the O2 sensor cause this occasional starting issue. Also, battery is in good shape.

#15 ·
I suppose you can take it apart, clean, and lube the parts (takes special grease). It won't help if there's a break in the circuit (traces, wires). I guess I threw the ignition switch bit in passing. If the THEFT light on the instrument cluster does not blink when it happens, the problem is elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.