Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote Fob Fix

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  greenman 
#1 ·
I just wanted you all to know that I have purchased, installed, and love the solution from KeylessFix (dot) com. I had been having to press really hard on one remote to get the doors to unlock, but locking seemed like a walk in the park. On the other remote it was getting a bit harder but not like the one. I separated the case halves of the one giving me the most trouble and verified that the battery was good (yep), so I cleaned the contacts on the board and on the back of the buttons. Dried them thoroughly (I cleaned them with water) and reassembled them, but to no avail.

I remembered someone mentioning KeylessFix so I took a chance and bought 2 for $18.95. (1 would have been $12.95.) In the meantime I took a small piece of foil and covered the inside of the rubber button to help make better contact. (Boy, did it! It would unlock if I drove over a bump! :)) In less than a week I had the solution in my mailbox. After installing them between the rubber buttons and the circuit board I tested them out and was very relieved to get such a great solution at such a reasonable price.

I am not being paid or compensated. My endorsement of the product is meant to help any others with the same issue and to let you know that the product actually works.

#2 · (Edited)
You can buy replacement button pads on ebay for under 5 bucks. I would be surprised if there was more than one Chinese manufacturer making these pads but it's impossible to know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-G...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c64790514&vxp=mtr

From what I've gathered in doing some research, there is a very thin layer of a conductive paint on the silicone rubber buttons that is failing over time & with use. There are conductive paints available & may work to restore the fob but I haven't tried that. The trick is that the paint would need to have good adhesion to the silicone rubber. The problem of paint adhesion may well be why GM fobs fail so fast. But whatever the reason, the conductive paint loses its conductive property. I took apart a 12-year-old-still-working Ford fob & found they use a different design that obviously works much better.

Also, I would imagine that attempting to clean the conductive paint only serves to make it less conductive by wiping it away.

#4 ·
If you want to try a conductive paint you can get that stuff at the auto parts store that fixes the grid on the rear window defroster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.