Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Updating Navigation

13K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jmz768 
#1 ·
How do you check for updates to the GPS Navigation System and go about updating it if one is available? I didn't find anything on this in the owners manual.

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
That's why, with my '09 and again with my '11, I let On* expire and bought a Garmin for less money and don't have to keep paying for it over and over. Easy to mount, great instructions, save mucho dinero!

It'd be nice if they'd let you choose lifetime maps like Garmin does and then the car would never again need to cost money just for some stoopid maps. Some of the choices that corporate greedy types force us to make just don't make sense to those of us with our feet firmly planted on the ground. It's obvious their heads are either up in the clouds or up somewhere else! ;)

#6 ·
Yup that's why i didn't get the nav on the new Malibu I have a Garmin with lifetime maps way way cheaper.

#7 ·
Yea I have never had navigation stock on a car and I kind of wanted it for our new malibu but was glad we didn't get it when the first Eco's that rolled out with it had the bluetooth audio, Pandora and Stitcher capabilities yanked from them. I am even more glad we didn't get it now with the crazy costs of the gps updates.
My whole Garmin gps cost the same as one update of theirs plus I get free lifetime maps and traffic too.

#8 ·
In my other car I have mounted a Google Nexus7, running a code called Car Home Ultra (and a few other utility codes). I draw power from the car's 12V and pipe the audio through the stock radio's aux port.
With my Note2, unlimited Verizon wireless and a wireless tether app, I seamlessly run a 4G WiFi hotspot in the car. This allows me to use Google Maps and Google Navigation, voice commands, Tunein radio, Gmail, Google Calendar and anything else on the web.
I've been running this for almost a year and it is very tight. Of all the navigation codes I have seen, I still prefer Google Nav.
I just got the Malibu today. It doesn't have navigation (but the 7" touchscreen is sweet.) so I will probably use the Note2 w/ Google Nav as a standalone system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.