Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake lights won't turn off and Cruise won't work

26K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  john1050 
#1 ·
So my wife's 08 Malibu (new body) has started acting weird lately. A couple of times, when driving home from work, the cruise has stopped working and the brake lights will go on when she is not braking, co-worker following her. I found a TSB for the previous gen with the same symptoms posted on this website, link below, but I can't figure out which connector that it is talking about and can't find any corrosion on any of the connectors on the ECU, didn't pull main connector because it was screwed down and didn't have any tools with me. Any thoughts? The car has 53K miles on it so I don't know if it is still under warranty. Thanks, Jordan

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2401

#2 ·
I don't think they will cover that under warranty. Print out that info on that TSB and see if they are willing to help you out. Doesn't sound like there is much work involved and a tech would def be familiar with the location of that "problem-ed" connection.

#3 ·
I'm sure you know that the cruise control sees the brake lights turning on and that's what's killing the CC. The TSB article sounds like something you can check for in your driveway, and even perform it yourself.

#4 ·
I had a similar problem in the past with my 08 Bu where my brake was on without any intervention from my part. This is probably why the cruise stop working at the same time. The problem was at the electric pedals combine with the telescoping steering. At some positions, there was an interference between both mechanism. If I remember, there is a TSB on this problem and the solution is to install somewhere 2 small metal washer to add space in the electric pedal mechanism to prevent interference with the steering shaft. The other solution is to play with the telescoping steering and\or electric pedals.

I'm not sure but in my case, the problem came on when the pedals was at the lowest position and the steering wheel completely inside and tilted down so ask someone to stand behind the car and play with the electric pedals and the steering wheels (tilt and telescope) to see if the brake lights come on at different positions.

#8 ·
I have had my 2005 to the dealership 8 times! They cant seem to fix the problem. They have greased the connectors, put in a new BCM, put in a new brake sensor. Im at my wits end! I have called GM and complained, what a joke! They have a manager call me and all they say is we understand your frustration....really? I dont think they do, they are not driving my car! I have an appointment to take it in for the 9th time next Monday. This has been going on for nearly 2 years and every time I make the payment on the car I just want to throw up! If anyone comes up with any further solutions I would like to hear them!

#11 ·
Stand by here at least until Tuesday.
There is at least one "GM Customer Service Rep." who reads these posts and tries to help out.
If that doesn't help any, a call to the corporate service help number, located in the owners or warranty manual might get you some better service.

#13 ·
unfortunatly the car was past its warranty period when I noticed this problem with the car. Now my husband went to North Carolina with the car this week because we had no other choice of a vehicle and he says the brake lights are constantly on they never shut off unless the car is in park. So the problem has gone from bad to worse he still has to drive it back home to Illinois this way.

#14 ·
Dear cozumel2011,

Thank you for the additional information about your situation. I completely understand the frustration that you are going through.

I hope that your husband has a safe trip home. I do recommend that when he does return to get the vehicle into the dealership for further diagnosis of the situation. I am sure that you are planning do so.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#15 ·
I have a 2008 LTZ with 60,000 mils on it, and this problem has just started happenig over the last two months. I have not taken it to a dealer yet but i guess i will after reading this form. Is their any info that would be helpfull to the dealer that i should give them in refrence to this problem?

Thanks for any help!

#16 ·
Is their any info that would be helpfull to the dealer that i should give them in refrence to this problem?
Apparently it is a fairly common problem.
Just tell them all you know......brake lights: on when should be off or whatever.......and cruise cuts out.
I would hope that they would know what to do.
As you may have noticed, it sometimes takes more than one try to "fix" it.

#17 · (Edited)
Just now experiencing this issue. Cruise control dumps (won't engage) at speed, then the SERVICE ESC SOON dash light comes on (at intervals), and then noticed brake lights were constant on with car idling & in park, no foot on brake. Brake light lenses were quite hot, telling me they have been on a while during & following Interstate driving. Vehicle is a 2010 Malibu 4 cyl, 36,500 miles, which I purchased new, 9/09. Chev. Service (while on the road) saw this condition and drew a 'code' and confirmed it is NOT a brake switch, but further diagnosis needed. Being this was on a Sat. late PM, the out of town dealer could not troubleshoot and fix until the next week. This dealer stop was made while I was on the road, so I cancelled my trip and returned 250 miles home & to selling dealer.

Costly to me so far not even factoring in pending dealer 'fix' costs which I've just been informed will run me $186.57, parts & labor. Will accept on blind faith that this solves the problem. Dealer tells me it is a faulty brake position sensor switch which they have in stock and will 'fix' today. Fingers crossed.

Have read this is a recurring problem other owners find in the Malibu line and in some Saturns, too. No common solutions has been posted (here or elsewhere that I can find)...so wondering IF dealer working on car now will fix correctly at my expense this first time. Constant brake light on condition bugged me, as this is an obvious safety issue even if constant ON is better than no rear lights at all...AND a potential traffic stop by law enforcement could also sweeten the mix, tho this did NOT happen. On return back home, problem seemed to clear for 90% of the miles and cruise control was normal & no
more dash waning indicators (SERVICE ESC SOON) appeared. Brake lights were cool at several check stops which confirmed to me that this was going to be
an intermittent problem.

All in all, I now have trust issues with this car that I'd normally not worry about until such a vehicle has clocked over 100,000 miles.

Any more updates? I'd appreciate hearing and I will post later after a few months of driving has satisfied me that this will not (probably) happen again. Intermittent and recurring electrical 'gremlins' have a way of doing this, as we all know, just so they can play with our minds and access our wallets!

jaa

#18 ·
If it was just the brake lights being on I might agree with them. But because you're getting the service ESC message on the display, it could be something as simple as Fretting corrosion. If you haven't already, search this forum for that term and you can do the self-service fix before paying money for something that might not fix it.

Sent from the mobile phone of DrivenDaily!

#19 ·
I'd bet on the fretting, i still can't believe this isn't a recall issue. I see a few GM vehicles through the year that have this, I'm sure the people don't even know it's happening. It can be so dangerous for people traveling behind the vehicle. I had to take care of it on my wife's car twice already.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks for information to those responding.

@Mikey d: I'm of the same mind. Doubts remain and confidence in this auto
has eroded to the level of an auto >10 years old and >100,000 miles. Reason
enough for the 'fret' factor, eh?

But, this Malibu is only 5 yrs old and @36,000+ miles.

Correct you are in assuming the 'brake light on' condition has probably happened at
intervals WITHOUT my knowledge. Can't tell in the daylight hours when nearing
90% of this vehicle's operation happens. At night, I can see slight rear window-glass
reflections from high-mount LED brake light...which I'll now look for after dark, of
course. Will also take note if I see other Malilbu and similar GM cars with constant
'brake light on' and will now assume the driver possibly is NOT a brake-pedal-rider.

@Kenneth M: Thanks for the offer to check recalls and services advisories. As
I've owned this car since it was new, I HAVE RECEIVED several recall notices on other
items which have been immediately corrected by the Chevrolet dealer, locally. So,
I am on their list. Now, if they are playing 'secrets' with me on any service advisories,
or recalls, well, I've attempted checking those as well from sources and have not seen
anything that applies. Also, specifically have asked the dealership service reps if any
such services bulletins/advisories exist. Repeatedly, I've been told NO. Perhaps, with
time, there could be a recall on this, or at least some type of service bulletin to correct.
Depends on a certain number of occurrences, I suppose, and then it's still subject to a
judgment call by high level GM management.

Back in my salad days, as we young guys each managed to score on a purchase of that
coveted and well-used FIRST CAR, we all faced peer pressure for said questionable choices, AKA
clunkers/junkers/etc. All of these including my own, we mockingly labeled TOWN CARS. No, not
a fancy Lincoln; simply a car we didn't dare take out of town!

Currently owned 2010 Malibu is now my TOWN CAR. Some things never change,
sport fans!

jaa

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.