Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motor Trend: new Malibu is worst/most disappointing new car...

23K views 78 replies 20 participants last post by  EnvoyBu 
#1 ·
http://wot.motortrend.com/staff-picks-the-best-and-worst-cars-we-drove-in-2012-308485.html#axzz2Fw7KfLpI

Every year, Motor Trend staff members pick their favorite and least favorite cars that they drove that year. Unfortunately, for 2012, the '13 Malibu received as many votes for the least favorite car as the hugely panned Coda Electric Vehicle with three nominations each.

The general sentiment was that the car is numb to drive and completely outgunned within the midsize class on multiple fronts. If you believe there's some sort of bias involved, one of the writers simultaneously picked the Cadillac ATS as his favorite.

Here's hoping for the best from the 2014 refresh.

#2 ·
To be fair, it appears that they tested an ECO "to the underpowered, drone-y engine, to the complete disconnect between the wheels and the road"

I felt the same about mine, that's why I traded it for the 2ltz.

It will be interesting to see the refresh.

Tre'

#3 ·
That's why it's important to know what you want in a car, that way you get what you want when you are ready to buy.
Also don't put all your trust in a magazine's opinion (or anyone else's, for that matter) of what you should get, it can mislead you. Only you know what you are looking for and only you know what will make you happy after spending a good deal of money for your purchase.
The best way is to get out there and test drive the vehicle you are interested in and look it over good and you should be happy with your purchase.
Luckily there are still some people around that do it that way.

#4 ·
@mzodarg - They had a 2.5L LTZ during Car of the Year testing (the 2.0T wasn't available). They found it equally disappointing, primarily because the car is so overweight and didn't address shortcomings of the 08-12 model.

@nutcrunch - They thought pretty highly of the 7th gen Malibu. It placed 2nd in the 2008 Car of the Year competition, ahead of the Honda Accord.

I like Motor Trend for their down-to-earth editors and reviews. When someone can't possibly test drive every car in the class they're shopping, magazines like MT give people a strong basis to narrow their search.

I hope GM takes notes better than they did when the 7th gen showed its weaknesses at the end of its run. If they had, the car would be very competitive. This one was a design by committee attempting to be a jack of all trades.

#5 · (Edited)
Why can't you possibly test drive every car you are interested in?

You should always see first hand what vehicles you are interested in and not rely on a magazine or anyone's opinion on the vehicle you are getting ready to plop down a good amount of money on.

That's nice that they thought highly of the last generation Malibu but what matters to me and the wife (since we are paying the car note and living with it every day) is what we like and we think highly of the new generation Malibu. You should always get what you like too whether it be the new Malibu, Accord, Fusion or whatever. Don't let others tell you what you should like.

#6 ·
Why can't you possibly test drive every car you are interested in?

You should always see first hand what vehicles you are interested in and not rely on a magazine or anyone's opinion on the vehicle you are getting ready to plop down a good amount of money on.

That's nice that they thought highly of the last generation Malibu but what matters to me and the wife (since we are paying the car note and living with it every day) is what we like and we think highly of the new generation Malibu. You should always get what you like too whether it be the new Malibu, Accord, Fusion or whatever. Don't let others tell you what you should like.
Amen Brother :)

#8 ·
These magazines are starting to get to me. They put the Malibu last because it does not win any particular category, like most rear leg room, most power, etc. But, when it comes down to it, it does all the things together very well.

I have an LTZ and it has more front leg room than any of the competition, where is that mentioned. Out of the 20,000 miles I drive each year, I drive 15,000 of them alone, I most likely wont even have anyone in the rear seats for the life of the vehicle. I just like the extra space the door offers. Why is this not mentioned.

I consistently get 32 mpg in mine driving around. I cant complain, especially since my last was an 11 F150 Ecoboost that only got 14-15mpg (lifted, tires, etc). Its right in line with all the competition.

I had an 08 Malibu, and this one has all the stuff I love, plus looks much better. Some people say they didn't change it enough, but to me, it looks significantly better than the previous gen, and the previous gen was my favorite car.

Long story short, they are selling around here, regardless of what you magazine readers have been seeing. I like the overall vehicles as I feel it does good in all areas, maybe there are no outstanding spots, but it certainty does not do anything poorly.

#9 ·
Yep, that's why I don't go by magazine articles alone. By the sounds of it you would think the Malibu was a terrible car. If you actually drive one then you would probably realize the magazines tend to exaggerate things.
The new Malibu is by no means perfect and has things that not everyone may like but it is not a terrible car, but if you don't check it out for yourself and go by magazine articles as gospel, then you would never know that.

#11 ·
The final word comes in sales, and the Malibu is pretty much bombing.

I'm just hoping that GM is embarrassed enough by the reception of both the press and market that the refresh addresses several key issues.

#13 ·
The final word for me comes when I buy what I want.
Sucks for Chevrolet about the sales and it may sound mean towards them but I don't care about their sales. I care about what I want.

#14 ·
Wow, this thread has garnered a lot of responses in a very short time! Good comments from all. This is what makes a forum a good place to go to get unadulterated input. Keep up the good work, guys!

:D

#15 ·
Let the numbers speak. GM has suspended production of the Malibu because it hasn't met sales targets and they are doing an early refresh. When I first saw it I thought it butt ugly, my mind hasn't changed. Take a look at the competiton: new Fusion and the 2014 Mazda 6 trumps the dowdy, pig snout Malibu. Just my feelings on it looks, also the fisher price interior doesn't have a refined, elegant look. And here is another last place review from a Canadian publication: http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-best-family-sedans/

#18 · (Edited)
Looks are subjective, not everyone will like the looks of a certain car. The wife and I happen to think the 2013 Malibu is the best looking car in it's class thus why we bought it.
At least you are basing your opinion of it's looks on your own thoughts though, White Diamond, and not relying solely on what a magazine thinks of it's looks which is the way it should be.

#20 ·
You should start reading Motor Trend Wingr1800 that way you could have saved all those miles driving such a horrible car. Forget that you are happy with it, that isn't important, the sales numbers should mean more to you than happiness...

;)

#21 ·
Look, I have no problem with you, but you clicked on a thread about Motor Trend's opinion of the Malibu. Most would agree the automotive press is relevant to a car forum. Nobody is challenging your personal opinion of the car.

#22 ·
I have no problem with you either.
Glad we got that straightened out. :)

Relax, you posted on a Malibu forum and I am just pointing out that magazines are not to be trusted as gospel. Everyone should make decisions for themselves otherwise they may be missing out. Most would agree that is relevant to a purchase.

#27 ·
Well your last several posts have been pretty snarky and defensive, like someone is insulting you. If you don't like the way professionals feel about the car, don't read about it. We are all quite aware of your stance on magazines at this point.

#23 ·
magazines are not to be trusted as gospel
I would agree with what you stated. One thing that needs to be taken into consideration is overall sales, I know you said you could care less as your happy. Lets be honest, if it ain't selling there has to be changes.

I wonder if you'll be as happy when you see what the redesign does to your resale value. When I traded off my ECO, I was fortunate to get what I did for it and I know that. I'm just not sure I'll have the same good fortune when and If I trade the 2ltz in due to this refresh.

Makes me wonder what they are planning and if any of the new changes will be available for those who want to update their current (before refresh) vehicle.

#24 ·
Yes I agree if it isn't selling then they need to change it. I couldn't care less personally because I already bought the car and love it.

Resale value never factors into my purchases. I don't ever buy something with intentions of selling it later. I see guys all the time on the Harley forum talking about resale value but it doesn't make any difference to me as I plan on keeping mine for a long time. Same with the car. Yea it is nice to get more for a vehicle when you sell it but that just doesn't matter to me much.

We will have to see what changes they make but I think the biggest change that they should make (and I seriously doubt they will) is increase the backseat leg room. The front should be changed too as I think that might help attract more people.

I am not doubting at all that the car isn't selling well, my beef is with the magazines making it out to sound like the new Malibu is horrible when it really isn't. I just want people to not be misled by that and find out for themselves how the car really is. Make sense?

#25 ·
I am still amazed at the negative press this car receives. We have had our '13 LTZ turbo for five weeks and about 1,700 miles and we have enjoyed every one. Although I didn't drive every car in the class, I drove a few and am quite pleased with my decision. I will admit that initially I was a bit shocked by the sticker of nearly $35,000. However the more I live with the car it seems a bargain. My dealer was great to work with and gave me a very generous trade in allowance for my vehicle. I hope the re-fresh goes well but I think the car is a beauty the way it is.

The car rides and handles beautifully and is super quiet even at highway speeds. I am averaging about 21 around town and as much as 32 on the highway. I think those figures are great for a car that is this much fun to drive.

All in all I am very pleased with my purchase. The car is everything that I had hoped for and more. Maybe I am biased because I am such a homer. I was born and raised in a small Pennsylvania steel town. It means a lot to me that I purchased a car built in America by an American car company. Maybe that makes me a fool but that is how I feel. Anyhow, a big Thank You to the good people of Kansas City for building me such a fine car.

#29 ·
Yep. Glad to see someone understands :)
People should always buy a vehicle according to their wants and needs. Opinions from others are fine but you know what they say about opinions... they are like assholes and some even make it into magazines. :D

#30 ·
I am in the same boat as nutcrunch. Call me crazy, but I buy cars based off of my personal experience with them in test drives, and only speak of my experience. What better way to buy a car than to determine for yourself what car is best for you?

Test driving cars is free. There are no shortage of dealerships, and sales people will almost anything BUT pay you to test drive one of their cars.

Buy what is best for you, not what is best for someone else. I made that mistake once, and I won't do it again. I bought a 2007 Camry because of all the hype behind Camry sales and Camry reliability. Huge mistake, we hated almost every second we owned it. While it was completely reliable, it was not a drivers car in our experience, and was horrible in snow and rain. Creaks were also a common issue.

I will always go by my personal experience. Now, if car is known to be a huge LEMON, then yes of course I would hesitate based on those consumer findings.

#31 ·
Thanks for the laugh this afternoon, nutcrunch. :D

I would love to have a vehicle that does better on gas, but I have a need for a full size SUV; 5ft 5in 13 year old daughter, 105 pound Golden Retriever who is only a year old and a wheelchair… do I need to say any more? LOL :eek:

I miss the fuel economy of a car, but the Tahoe is great.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#32 ·
I am not doubting at all that the car isn't selling well, my beef is with the magazines making it out to sound like the new Malibu is horrible when it really isn't. I just want people to not be misled by that and find out for themselves how the car really is. Make sense?

Not sure what they can do, if anything about the back seat. 90% of the time it's just me in the car so it doesn't effect me.

Unlike you, I always consider long term value of vehicles. Because it does matter to me in the long run.

#33 ·
You have to take everything MT says with a grain of salt. They're trying to sell magazines and lets face the "truth" won't sell. So they're going to over state and exaggerate the Malibus shrot falls making a caricature out of it to sale magazines. Yes, the new Malibu could have and should have done certain things better and shame on GM for cutting those corners. However, when looking at the car in total it's not a bad car.

On the flip side you have the media darling in the Ford Fusion. It's a good car too but IMO once you get past the grill it fades into mediocrity. IMO the Malibu interior looks nicer too.

#36 ·
Midsize car sales is the toughest market. Camry/Accord have decades of "GOODWILL" built into their cars with higher resale values to boot. Who doesn't want more money for their car at trade in time?

It doesn't matter what you or I think of the 2013 Malibu. What matters most are sales and right now they have tanked for the Malibu.

November, December 2012 Malibu sales USA..........21,900
November, December Fusion sales USA..........34,000

If GM says a fix will be in place by next November/December and the 2014s are on dealers lots in August what are they going to do? Build 2014s just like the 2013s are now and then next November call the new version a 2014 1/2?

A lot of confusion. If GM screws up the refresh they are in big trouble.

The eco-2.4 has been a disaster compared to the competition MPG and the new Impala going into production very soon will also offer the same Eco but weigh 300+ pounds more. YIKES!

#34 ·
Really, the only issues I see related to the new Malibu is:

Not class leading MPG
Cramped back seat
Released with limited model availability

Outside of that, it's a better vehicle than the vehicle it replaces, and IMO and IME, a better vehicle than at least the 2012 Camry and 2013 Accord. I haven't driven the offerings from Mazda or Nissan.

So I really don't see any corners that GM cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.