Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibu Mud Flaps

17K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  nutcrunch 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone with a new 2013 Malibu has OEM mud flaps that could post a pic, I would appreciate it. I would like to see what the car looks like with them on.

I live on a gravel road and think that I need to have something on there to protect from rocks hitting that fender.

Thanks,
Pete

#3 ·
Not sure if i like the mud flaps or not but i do line the pin strips on it.

#7 ·
If I may I would like to make another alternative to Yosemite Sam mud flaps.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/
I hate mud flaps especially on a car as nice looking as the White Diamond LTZ. I can recommend this product I have it on my 1991 Silverado with big tires and not a scratch, stone chip or dent on the painted surface. I also have it on the rear of my new 2013 Malibu. Find a dealer in your area and check it out. They are invisible and definitely protect the paint. Also, I so not work for 3M.

#8 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of my truck with the plastic shield installed under the rubber side molding from front wheel to back bumper.
You see how the bottom of the truck rolls under so the tires can throw rocks up against the paint and ruin a very expensive paint job.
This is how much I trust 3M plastic shield over mud flaps. (click on thumbnail for larger view)

Attachments

#10 ·
I actually like the functionality, not so much the look. I'll tell you one thing for sure, the 19" tires really thru crap all over the car prior to puting them on. The 3m plastic sheilds would not alleviate that.

Havent notice gravel or rock before or after.

Tre'

#11 · (Edited)
I was merely offering a substitute for mud flaps. If you like mud flaps fine go for it.
If you are like me and do not then checkout the 3 M Protective Films. As for the protection value,
take a closer look at my trucks lower quarter panel. Just about half of the tire is visible to throw
rocks up onto the quarter panel and after 3 years of driving not a scratch, dent or chip.
Also several car dealers are using the film on the front of vehicles instead of using a bra. Just saying. :)

#12 ·
The 3M sounds good to me. I'd love to get it put on the front of the car to protect against rock chips etc. but I called a local place that does it and the price was ridiculous.

#13 ·
The pre cut films are definitely expensive. Im sure it does look better thou. Living on a gravel road, my body shop told me that the films would eventually get chewed up too. Given that my car is black I don't think you would hardly even notice the mud flaps. Thanks for the input everyone.

#17 ·
I'm also thinking of putting them on my new 2015 Atlantis Blue Malibu. I work at a camp and have dirt roads, and the mud is getting slung all over the side of the car, even when I drive slow. Not sure I like the look of black on a color, but I'd prefer to preserve the paint and minimize mud.

I'm curious also how hard they were to put on, and also how they actually work? Do they stop mud and debris from being thrown on the car on the whole? I realize nothing is 100% effective, but if they knock out 90% of it, I'm going to do it for sure.

#19 ·
On the front mud flaps it calls for you to drill into the front fenders. I do not like the sound of that because it will promote rust here in the mid west. So what I ended up doing is drilling one hole through the plastic part of the fender and mud flap. I then used stainless steel hardware to secure the mud flap to the fender. I also used a thin layer of 2 part epoxy where they wanted the two screws to be drilled into the front fender. I also made sure that the epoxy only made contact with the plastic on the front fender and on the mud flap itself. If you use to much epoxy it could seep out and make contact with the metal on the front fender.

Attachments

#21 ·
My '13 is Dark Labyrinth Metallic and I couldnt find any painted to match. But, since I just put 22s on her splash guards are an absolute must. These damn tires throw crap all up the side (which if you knew how anal-retentive I am about my car you'd testify how crazy that makes me), and of course I just got the 22s two days ago, detailed her yesterday and it snowed overnight. Here in Colorado they use Mag Chloride on the roads and even though I keep my car clean I want as little of it as possible on her.

Sorry, went on a tangent. I actually like the contrast on your Malibu. Did you install them yourself or buy her like that? If you installed them, how much of a pain was it?

#22 ·
The officially named color for 2013 Malibus was actually called Taupe Gray Metallic not Dark Labyrinth Metallic although they share the same paint code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.