Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

08 Malibu LT with 38,000 miles

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  michaelj3 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!
I'm looking into buying my first Malibu and while it wasn't what I went in to buy, I've fallen in love.

It's s 2008 with only 38,000 miles for $12500. Is this a good deal? I know that low mileage is a plus and that it seems to be in amazing condition. And from the research I've done, they seem to be pretty good in the snow, right? I live where it snows a lot and i'm trading my dying 4 wheel drive in so being without it is kinda freaking me out.

http://i49.tinypic.com/24ywkjk.jpg

This is the picture from the dealership. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Looks like a nice car and the price seems to be in line with what they are going for and the miles are low too so that's a plus.Now if your looking to go through the snow like a 4x4 that's not gong to happen but being FWD there are pretty good in the snow as long as you have the right tires on them.

#3 ·
Read around the forum. The Malibu model line is a fairly decent car overall, but it takes only that one that was traded as a lemon or otherwise unsatisfactory vehicle for you to get it and hate all of them as a result. (We have a former member that griped with almost every post just how he hated his car.)

Test drive it, do the CarFax, and find out all you can. Again, read the issues on here and then go into the dealer with advance knowledge of what to expect.

The 2008 is an early model. One of the issues is a clunk when turning the steering wheel. Another can be a loss of power steering (4-cylinder engine uses electronic PS; V6 uses hydraulic) or an engine misfire due to a poor or non-existent grounding strap on the coil pack.

#4 ·
Kibby,

Malibu looks great! I would also suggest checking sites like Kelley Blue Book at kkb.com and Edmunds.com to see the current value and reviews on the 2008 Malibu. Also, if you are able to obtain the VIN, I would be glad to check to see if there are any open recalls or special coverages and if there had been any major service issues with the vehicle. If so, please private message me your first and last name, the VIN and the current mileage.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service (assisting Michelle)

#5 ·
What model is it, LT, LS, LTZ? V6, or 4 Cyl? That affects the pricing.

Last May, around Memorial day, I walked out with a BRAND NEW 2012 LT1 4 cyl for $18,200 after incentives and dealer discount. I had a GM card w/ $1800 of earnings on it, so my out of pocket was $16,500. Granted, got a heck of a deal, but I bet there are some 12's still out there, if you look real hard and are willing to travel to go get it. The 2013's are not moving well, you might end up w/ a heck of a deal on one of those if you look and negotiate.

I understand why you love it, I love mine too...esp for the $$ I paid.

I actually think you can do better than $12,500. But, we need more info, what are the options on there?

Tires make all the difference in the snow...at 38,000, if it has the stock tires still, put some good new ones on, and not the stuff that was stock, those are not good in the snow.

#6 ·
Quick look at edmunds.com says there are about $4000 of incentives out on the 2012 Malibu right now, see --> http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/ma...e=101388890&irr_section=marketing_support_irr

Furthermore, a cars.com search revealed numerous 2012 NEW MALIBUS in Dealer Inventory (for that matter, your local dealer may be able to get one from a distant dealer via dealer trade). Might be a better play...just a thought.

Here are some, restricted search to NEW 2012 Malibu LT1's.
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/20...egId-mkId-mdId-yrId-trId&pgId=2102&trId=22544

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.