Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Code B0081 - service air bag lite on

94K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mroddam 
#1 ·
We have a 08 malibu lt. we have had this car for about 5 months now- use to love it until yesterday. Car only has 47k for miles but here is what happened. 3 days ago car would not start- dead battery- son jump started it and got it going- now the SERVICE AIR BAG lite is on. Took it to a chevy dealer yesterday- got a new battery and they scanned for codes. B0081-B0083 where there- they tried to clear them but the lite came back. They told me i need a new PPS module in the ft pass seat. :eek:

I said that is a expensive battery.

Any ideas would sure help.

#2 ·
B0081 indicates a problem with the PPS system.

B0083 indicates a problem with the front end impact sensor.

I'm a bit skeptical of that diagnosis. Since the seat cushion is about a $700 job (on your dime I assume) I'd want a second opinion. Of course, that will cost you another diagnostic fee.

#3 ·
Thanks greenman for the info.
they pulled 4 codes total-
B0081 failed
B1325 passed
B0084 passed
B0083 passed

They tried to clear them out he said but the B0081 came back.
It is strange that this can happen with a battery jump- the car is a lt with leather covers on it now-which was done 1 year ago.

The dealer told me that they would have to order the rt ft seat sensor and that there is no tsb or recall for the 08's

#4 ·
That's a horse of a completely different color than your first post. The dealer with his scan tool holds all the cards when it comes to the air bag system.

A discharged battery can cause the air bag lamp to come on at engine start during air bag testing. I've seen that many times. After recharging the battery (or replacing it with a charged battery) the lamp goes out.

On the other hand, the sensor in the seat cushion is known to be problematic so they may be spot on with their diagnosis.

Just be sure the car battery is charged up before spending the $700 (more or less) on that seat cushion.

#5 ·
Did the passenger seat get wet recently? B0081 would have 3 possible sub codes. Sub code 39 is internal electronic failure, self explanatory. Sub code 3A is incorrect component installed and would most likely set with new parts installed only. Sub code 71 is invalid serial data received and usually at that point you check for PPS codes of which there are 5. 32 is a rezeroing fault set while performing a rezero of the system. 34 is a wet seat fault. 36 is a communication error and can be set due to low battery voltage. 52 is a heated seat ground fault and 56 is an internal PPS system fault. Codes 32, 34 or 36 may set along with 56. All 5 codes will set B0081 in the SDM. Without knowing the sub code of B0081 and the PPS codes stored, if any, there isn't much more to say at this point. You can try disconnecting both battery cables and holding them together for a couple minutes. Do this with the key out of the ignition. After a couple minutes, reconnect the battery and see if it helped. Doesn't cost anything to try it.

#6 ·
Thanks Rodents for the info.

I am looking at the codes on the work order- i hope i get these right.

B0081 with a 71 behind it. and a failed
B1325 with a 03 behind it. and a pass
B0084 with a 71 behind it. and a pass
B0083 with a 71 behind it. and a pass
Are the 71's and the 03 the sub codes?

Thanks again

#7 ·
Right, the 03 sub code is for voltage below threshold, weak battery, parasitic draw pulling the battery down, something, can't be hard to figure out. The B0081 71 is the one you're interested in. There is very likely a PPS code that has to be flashed and then you'll know what is wrong. I have a Cobalt in my bay now with that code and the PPS had a code in it for the seat belt tension sensor, so as soon as I fix the tension sensor, the PPS code will clear and then so will the B0081 71 code. You need to know what the PPS code is before going further.

#9 ·
Hello R.O.G,

I see that you may be looking into visiting your local dealership due to an issue you are experiencing with the service air bag lite illuminated on your G6. I would be happy to locate a dealership in your area and reach out to them on your behalf. Please contact me via private message referencing this thread if I can be of further assistance.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#13 ·
Jennifer...
I have a 2007 G6 GT with the same issue. I have had it to the dealer twice... the first time i was told not to worry that I could disconnect the module and there won't be an issue (they couldn't do it there due to safety issues...but I could with NO issue... what's wrong with this answer) The second time was just today and I was given the codes of B0081 in the sir module with a sub code of 056 in the pps (failed). Is GM willing to foot the bill for the repair if I take it into a different GM dealer. My car has slightly over 79K and this issue started 15K to 20K miles ago.

#10 ·
I'm in an '09 Saturn Aura 2.4L with a very erratic passenger seatbelt On/Off display light as well as erratic dash "service airbag" message. The display light acts completely on it's own, whether there is a passenger in the seat or not.

I called GM on Friday with my VIN # and they said there are no recalls on my car whatsoever.

#11 ·
If I recall correctly, there was a TSB (or two) on the connectors and/or wires for the passenger seat. Seems the wires were too tight or some such nonsense as one symptom, and the terminals were not up to par for another symptom.

I believe the driveway fix is to unhook the seat sensor and plug it in several times, though I could be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.