Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Platinum" Emblem

11K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Dalecon 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought a used 2011 Platinum Edition Malibu June 2012. On the front door (both sides) is a "Platinum" emblem in a hand written font. I went to the dealership to get them to replace them as they are broken and worn. I was told that they are "after market" stickers. There is no part number for them.

1. Really??? Someone stuck them on the car? The previous owner was a car rental company. Did THEY put the stickers on the car?

2. Did someone put the stickers on to fool me and the previous owner into thinking I have purchased a Platinum edition Malibu?? How can I tell if I got a Platinum Edition???

Anyone know for sure these are after market? And how do I know I have purchased the car that I thought I did?

Thanks for the help,
Karen
Calgary, Alberta

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Its a Canadian thing, the 2lt is called the platinum in Canada.

I just noticed my badges have lots the silver and is clear on the drivers side. Not too concerned about it thought. As you can see for my avatar my car has it.

#5 ·
Yeah, those Canadians! Pontiac's Bonneville and Catalina in the US was called either the Laurentian, Parisienne, or Grand Parisienne in Canada. What's ever weirder is Bills Classic Cars claims that during the years leading up to 1969 they used the Chevy Impala chassis, suspension, and power plant (engine, etc) while still calling it a Pontiac.

So, is the Malibu in Canada actually a Pontiac (reversed roles), or what? (I'm joking - I'm sure it's a Chevy with slight changes to pass Canadian motor vehicle standards, and maybe a sticker or two... ;))

#7 ·
Blame the French community. :) Laurentian and Parisienne are variations of French words and so is Bonneville. Parisian means someone that comes from Paris.

My first car was an 85 Parisienne. :D

#6 ·
I have a 2011 Platinum Edition Malibu and don't have those Platinum emblems.

I browsed through the 2011 brochure and both the LT Platinum Edition and LTZ trims have a leather-wrapped steering wheel with sound controls and leather wrapped shifter as standard. But the Platinum Edition only has a 6-way driver power seat were as the LTZ has an 8-way on the driver seat. The LTZ also has 6-way passenger power seat were as the other trims have no power seating at all on the passenger side. So if you can figure which of these options you have, then you can confirm which trim you have.

#14 ·
My insurance asked if I had a 2LT platinum or non platinum. I had no idea until they decoded the vin.

Though I did notice a 4cyl 2LT identified as platinum on autotrader yesterday...

Canadianbacon, you have super sleuthing skills. I couldn't find anything on the GM site for the 7th gen malibu.

#18 · (Edited)
For 2012, Platinum LT has over standard LT:

Chrome Clad 17" wheels
Chrome tip exhaust
6-way power driver seat
Heated front seats
UltraLux sheer suede seat trim
Leather wrapped steering wheel & Shift Knob
Remote Start
Driver side express up & down power window
Electrochromic rear view mirror w/ compass
Illuminated vanity mirrors

#19 ·
Plaitnum (V6)

Chrome Tech Wheels 17 (18)

Chrome Exhaust Tip(s)

Remote Start Standard

Rear view with on star controles, compass and auto dimmin feature

3 spoke leather wrapped with bluetooth cruise and audio control system controls and leather wrapped shifter

Drivers express up window

Reclining front bucket seats with ultraluc suded seating surfaces

Heated Driver and Passenger seats

Standard 6 way driver seat adjuster

**Please note that where it says standard this is an optional feature on the LT.

#21 ·
Cool. I had been led to believe the v6 was the platinum. Unless it was changed for 09+. Thanks for clearing that up. Excuse me while I go edit my details!

BTW, I've been trying to find that emblem, no luck so far. Might have to go to an Autozone, NAPA, Pep boys, tuning shop.

#25 ·
Based on what I see in the picture of the manual it almost seems like they were trying to make a differentiation between 1LT and 2LT without using numbers, eh?

#27 ·
I actually like that my car doens't say that much on it. I didn't put the badges on my black one, fine with it just saying LT, but I know its got the V6 with out needing to flash with emblems, jsut a second exhaust that only bu owners would really know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.