Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

How often do you plan to change your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil changes

107K views 164 replies 53 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Just curious as to how you all are planning on handling oil changes...

Will you get it done by the dealer or someone else? Will you do it yourself?

What will your oil change frequency be? 2,000 miles? 5,000? When the Oil Life monitor tells you it's time?

I have historically changed mine myself, at 5,000 miles (which in all of my previous cars has been WELL before the oil life approaches 0%).

#3 ·
The first 2 oil changes are free from the dealer then I will do them myself just like I used to with the 06.

I'll change it when the oil life monitor says to which should be right around 5,000 miles.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know about the other year Malibus but the 13 came from the factory with synthetic oil. Did the previous years?

I change the oil on my Harley every 5,000 miles and it is air cooled and a lot harder on the oil than a water cooled car so I ain't changing it before 5,000 on the car.

#7 ·
The Dexos spec was '11 and up. i think it is possible to meet Dexos spec without synthetic base oil. If you do the changes every 5K, it'll probably suffice. To me the OLM is a nice idea and a guide on a good day. It's not gospel and it's a calculation, not a measurement of oil life remaining. I have issues going 4K but I'll see what the next drain looks like and go from there. I'm not trying to get the last bit of life out of the oil. But it's your motor and your money.

#8 · (Edited)
Well of course it isn't exact, just like the mpg averages the car gives you. I just use it to help remind me when to change it. I also have an Excel spreadsheet on the computer where I type in the date and mileage when I change it.

I think changing the oil before 5,000 miles is wasting money but like you said it's their money. It wouldn't worry me to go 7500 miles before an oil change and many cars I've had have been over that and I've never in 29 yearsof driving had any major engine problems caused by it.

#9 ·
I have only had a Malibu for a few months so I looked thru the maintenance records of my other car [ 99 Caravan 3.3] to see how often I change oil. I only change oil [cheapest conventional] in the spring and fall and it looks like I have been going between 7,500 to 9,500 miles between changes. A few times I skipped the filter change. I didn't realize I have been going that far between changes. Guess I have been lucky. I'll change the Malibu's oil according to the OLM, which is counting down faster than I'd like. My driving habits are the same on both vehicles, which would say I have been using the oil in my previous cars longer than the OLM in my Malibu would let me go. I've been doing this for the at least 20 years and I have never had an engine fail. I haven't owned an overhead cam engine in 28 years, just push rod V6s and V8s. Tough engines!

#10 ·
You haven't gotten lucky, some people are just still stuck on the old ways of having to change the oil so early.

I know I was going way beyond what I should have, but I once had a 91 S-10 that I went 7 years without changing the oil. Still ran good when I got rid of it and the only thing that ever broke down on it was the alternator. Of course I would never recommend doing that however. ;)

#11 ·
Not so fast. If people like you could see the gunked up motors that come in our shop, you might change your tune. A '91 S10 is no modern engine. 7 years with no oil changes, reminds me of a Ron White statement but that's your call, foolish but whatever. Tolerances run very tight anymore, lots of very touchy stuff, the cam actuators can't get gummed up and still be expected to work right. I'll grant you that 3 months/3,000 miles is, for the most part, a thing of the past. Unfortunately, people are going in some sort of competition to see who can run their oil the longest. There are motors that come in here well under 50K on them and they are sludged beyond belief. Then they wonder why the engine uses oil. It's a choice everyone has to make. I just say you're foolish to run too long. 5K is pretty long for some types of driving, short trips for example or lots of idling. I'll keep saying this until I stop seeing the sludge buckets roll in here for overhauls on a two year old car with low mileage. Good luck to you with extended drain intervals. My engine will stay clean even if my wallet is a bit lighter than yours.

#12 · (Edited)
Like I said I would never recommend doing what I did going 7 years with no oil change on a car but it happened and the truck ran fine. Yes it was ridiculous to run it that long but hey it is what it is.
I believe it is foolish and wasteful to change the oil too soon. I see guys on the Harley forum changing their oil every 2,000 miles which is ridiculous to me just as changing it before 5,000 miles would be on a modern car. I never said I was going to run extended intervals on this malibu, 5,000 mile changes are what I'm expecting just like the last malibu we had.
I'll spend the little extra money I save on the grand kids while you can spend it on oil. I have a feeling we both will do just fine, but I'll have more fun ;)

#14 ·
Kind of nice having this poll. I checked change with the OLM but in reality probably will change somewhere near 20% left in order to maintain a margin of safety. Want to pass along a service manager's recommendation. He said be sure that you put Dexos quality oil in at your oil change. He has seen significant drops in gas mileage when someone other than dealer's such as chains used other than Dexos. Still makes you wonder what is coming out of bulk fill hose even at dealerships. :)

#15 ·
He has seen significant drops in gas mileage when someone other than dealer's such as chains used other than Dexos.
And of course, he has no incentive to exaggerate that story in the least little bit. ;)

I wonder how many cases, how much mileage difference and what kind of oil was involved.

My "service advisor" told me I should change my oil every 5000 miles, regardless of what the OLM says.......and I don't buy that either. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
I wonder how they judge oil changes in regards to the warranty. I guess they can't void it for going 10,000 miles inbetween changes twice since they don't know if the OLM said it was ok?

#18 ·
They (GM) would need to prove the lack of oil changes caused the failure to deny warranty, and yes, if the OLM went to 0% at 10K, the customer did what they were told they can do.

I did a warranty motor in an '07 Z06 a couple years ago. Obviously was raced, blew it up on the track at Virginia International Raceway and towed it home, came in with a 'died while driving' concern. Had rubber debris on the tires, obviously was pushing the car, had grass under it where he went off the course with it somehow. Per the owner's manual he was to check the oil every so often under 'racing' conditions. We later found out he didn't know how to properly check a dry sump oil system oil level. GM rep came out and said 'put a motor in it and tell the customer not to blow this one up, next one's on him'. Sounded good but that's about it. Customer got a 13 thousand dollar motor for free after neglecting his responsibility to check the oil per the owner's manual.

Really very hard to void your warranty. For DD's sake I'll mention the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Don't want DD to have to put down his spoonful of peach ice cream now.

#19 · (Edited)
Damn some people get away with murder.

From some of the stuff I read on the Harley forums the dealers mechanics need to read that Warranty act since they seem to be telling people they have to use genuine Harley oil or they will void their warrantys. haha
Of course I always fill my tires with genuine Harley air even though I don't have to. I think it makes the bike perform better and it's just good peace of mind knowing that I only paid $75 per tire fill up for high quality Harley air. ;)

#21 ·
Haha oh yea I certainly do. I wouldn't want to put pressue on the genuine Harley tires from going down the road that might make the genuine Harley air seep out.

:D

In all seriousness though, my bike has never been on a trailer and if someone ever sees it on one it's either broken down or I am.

#22 ·
... or stolen.

But that'll be rectified by your Harley Union Response Team (HURT), eh? ;)

And don't forget to flush and fill your genuine Harley headlight fluid before each riding season... ;)

#29 · (Edited)
I paid for an oil analysis this time, so I thought I would share the results. I am not recommending anything, just sharing the relevant information.

2006 2.2 ecotec engine without variable valve timing. Similar engine to the 2.4.

Feb 1st, I changed oil using 5W 30 Motomaster Supreme API SN GF-5 [cheap] Conventional oil.

Installed Fram oil filter CH9018

Air filter is old.

The oil was in the car until July 12th and covered a distance of 7,700 miles, during which time no oil or additives were added.

The OLM counted down to zero about a week before I changed the oil. It did not count down to a negative number but I estimate it should read about minus 5.

Three different drivers drive this car. The overall driving style was a little on the conservative side.

Temperatures ranged form a month of 30 F mornings starts in February to the last month of 90 F. summer days.

A/C used for perhaps 6 weeks.

I guesstimate the driving was 50/50 highway/city. Some short 1 mile trips and some 2 hr expressway runs and everything in between.

When I drained the oil it looked dark amber, not black. It felt slippery and smelled good....mmm. But what do I know?

The way I read this report tells me the oil has done an excellent job of protecting the engine so far but now the additives providing protection against acid build up [TBN] are all but gone.

Used Blackstone labs in Indiana. And used their TBN test for an extra $10.
Tests cost $45 with shipping. I must have more money than brains.
If I am going to shell out this money, others may as well get to read it.

#33 ·
I paid for an oil analysis this time, so I thought I would share the results. I am not recommending anything, just sharing the relevant information.

2006 2.2 ecotec engine without variable valve timing. Similar engine to the 2.4.

Feb 1st, I changed oil using 5W 30 Motomaster Supreme API SN GF-5 [cheap] Conventional oil.

Installed Fram oil filter CH9018

Air filter is old.

The oil was in the car until July 12th and covered a distance of 7,700 miles, during which time no oil or additives were added.

The OLM counted down to zero about a week before I changed the oil. It did not count down to a negative number but I estimate it should read about minus 5.

Three different drivers drive this car. The overall driving style was a little on the conservative side.

Temperatures ranged form a month of 30 F mornings starts in February to the last month of 90 F. summer days.

A/C used for perhaps 6 weeks.

I guesstimate the driving was 50/50 highway/city. Some short 1 mile trips and some 2 hr expressway runs and everything in between.

When I drained the oil it looked dark amber, not black. It felt slippery and smelled good....mmm. But what do I know?

The way I read this report tells me the oil has done an excellent job of protecting the engine so far but now the additives providing protection against acid build up [TBN] are all but gone.

Used Blackstone labs in Indiana. And used their TBN test for an extra $10.
Tests cost $45 with shipping. I must have more money than brains.
If I am going to shell out this money, others may as well get to read it.
If you keep treating your vehicles like that--using cheap oil, a junk filter like Fram, and running the car almost 8000 miles--it's going to inevitably bite you in the ass. Displaying the oil test you spent $45 on is appreciated, but it also negates all the money you've saved cheaping out on the oil changes.

I've always been taught be good to your cars and they'll return the favor!

#30 ·
In the following, probably three posts, are pictures from a '10 Traverse with a 3.6L V6 in it and it has about 62,000 miles on it. It was a large tobacco company fleet vehicle and was not probably given the best of maintenance. It is typical of what you see when oil changes are left go too long on a regular basis. When you see the front of the engine, take note of the three timing chains, also take note of the 24 valves and associated hardware and what is covering them. If you look at the, as viewed in the picture, right timing chain, you'll see a dip in the top of the chain between the two cam gears. That is play in the chain from a worn (stretched) chain that the tensioner can no longer take up. The timing chain can be heard making noise on start up, there was a good ounce and then some of oil in the short air intake flex duct, there was more in the intake manifold as well. That is not normal in a well maintained vehicle. The engine is basically junk at this point. It needs chains, guides, tensioners and 6 sets of piston rings and that's if the block isn't scored. If it is, then it's motor time. All good as long as GM picks up the tab but that only goes another 38,000 miles, then it's customer pay. Just thought some of you that like real long OCI's should see what does happen way too often. We see 2.4's in the Equinox do the same thing and the 5.3 and 6.0 in the trucks, same thing. Enjoy.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Car

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Fuel line Vehicle

Engine Auto part Fuel line Automotive engine part Vehicle

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Automotive super charger part

#35 ·
Fram oil filters are, in fact, known for inferior quality. They do not have the backflow valve to prevent dry starts and they use cardboard end caps that are prone to deterioration and get into your engine. Buy ACDelco, Mobil 1, K&N, or pretty much anything other than Fram for 1 extra dollar.

#36 ·
The "orange can" fram filters of late usually have cardboard/paper end caps but they do have a drain back valve. Some people suggest that they are not the best filter and I would have to agree, but we are not talking about this filter. The 4 cylinder Ecotec engines used in the Malibu use a cartridge type filter [no metal can]. None of these have drain back valves and they all have plastic end caps including the fram filter. So I'm sure it's a good filter.

#38 ·
We bought our '10 Malibu used from a Buick dealer with 10Kmiles on it.

I come from an Automotive service background and admit I'm anal about maintaining our vehicles.

A local Chev dealer routinely has coupons for full service Mobil 1 changes for $58.88. I use them on both. The other is a '03 Sierra.

I don't NEED the Mobil 1 but being retired, Living in the Desert I make a habit of at least twice a year, Spring prior to the Heat and late year after the Heat's gone.

Never go over 5000 miles.

#39 ·
So i have a 11 ltz w/the v6 in it and i reached zero % this is the first time i will be getting an oil change in my malibu and the dealership cant get me in for a week and a half. my question is i went to a Valvoline place and they have the semi synthetic oil change for 55 or the full synthetic for 75. will the semi hurt the engine or should i stay away from it. i drive 77 miles minimum 1 way every day for work. thanks guys and gals

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.