Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

2013 Malibu - remote start doesn't work so scary!

63K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I purchased this 2013 2LT Malibu about a month ago. I recently tried using the remote start feature on the key fob, but nothing happens! I called the dealer, they said hold the button down for 30 seconds and make sure the vehicle was locked. I tried that, but it is still not working! I'm going to take to my local dealers, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Did you make sure you pressed the lock button on the car remote and then press and hold the start button until it starts?

from the manual...
Conditions in Which Remote Start
Will Not Work
The remote vehicle start feature will
not operate if:
. The key is in the ignition.
. The hood is not closed.
. The hazard warning flashers
are on.
. The malfunction indicator lamp
is on.
. The engine coolant temperature
is too high.
. The oil pressure is low.
. Two remote vehicle starts, or a
single remote start with an
extension, have already
been used.
. The vehicle is not in P (Park).

#4 ·
@nu213malibu, I’m sorry to read about your situation with the remote start option on your new Malibu. We realize this is something that you don’t expect to have happen when purchasing a brand new vehicle.

I haven’t heard or read of others experiencing this with the 2013 model year.

Please, let me know how things go at the dealership when you take it in.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#5 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies! I called the dealership yesterday and asked them about this. The Dealer stated I need to ensure the car was locked, which I did push the lock button the alarm was set. Then the Service guy at the Dealership told me to hold the remote start button for 30 seconds. I held it for about a minute and it still didn't work.

I'll going to Dealer today... I'll follow up and let everyone know how it went.

#6 ·
Yea be sure and let us know in case the same thing happens to one of us later. So far thankfully our remote start has worked right everytime we went to use it.

#7 ·
Michelle -
Thanks for your comments! I haven't told my Wife yet that this 30+ thousand dollar vehicle has a problem already and it's not even a month old! She would absolutely freak out!!

Hopefully it's something that they can fix real quick, and it's it's not something that's going to be a long-term issue!

#8 ·
Hey don't feel bad, when we got our car I discovered the key wouldn't work in the door lock and sometimes the door lock switch wouldn't act right either to lock the car.
Come to find out there was a service bulletin on that and the wrong door rod parts were installed from a different car.
They fixed it and we have had no problems since.

#9 ·
Took the car to the local Dealer... The Service Advisor didn't have a clue how to get it to work. So he typed up the work order, and I prepared to go sit in the Customer Lounge. Just as I was going to sign the work order, the Porter stated was familiar with Remote Start and asked if he could take a look. "Sure" I replied!

After about 3-5 minutes, the Porter got it working! When I asked how, he tried to explain, but couldn't! After another 5 min or so, he was able to repeat how he did it.

Here's the magic:

-Press the lock button twice
-Hold the Remote start button (caution lights should flash)
-Engine starts!

Never doubt the power of the Porter!:)

#11 ·
Glad to hear nothing was wrong.
Somewhere when we got the car I read to push the lock button twice and then press and hold the start button. That is what we do and never had a problem.
I looked through the owners manual and it doesn't say that, it just says press the lock button and then immediately press and hold the start button.

#14 ·
Oh yea, I definately still love our Malibu. I only have one complaint and that is the easily scratched black interior plastic by the door sills and kick panels. I try to tell the kids and wife to be more careful but I know crap happens.
Other than that, this car is a dream to drive and look at. Absolutely beautiful car.

#16 ·
Can't believe the service advisor didn't know you had to press the button twice, it used to say it on the back of the old remotes, you had to do it regardless of if it was already locked. I know the switchblades don't say it. The manual says it too if I remember right.

#17 ·
The manual online does not say to press it twice. Maybe the actual manual that came with the car said to do it. I know I read it somewhere.
I agree though that the service advisor should have known.

#18 ·
We were out tonight and I tried pressing the remote lock once and then pressed and held the remote start button and it started right up. I guess I don't need to press the lock button twice to remote start it afterall.

#24 ·
RKS (remote keyless start) will not work if a number of various things don't pass inspection, which it does before starting the engine.

Check out post #2 in this thread for a list that you can check.

If none of those are present, let us know what has changed since it used to work and maybe we can give you some input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.