Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My 2011 Malibu LTZ V6 mileage story

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Casper_ 
#1 ·
Long read...

Saturday the 17th I started my trip from Louisville, KY, to Alexandria, VA, at 9:40 AM and held myself to 60 MPH the whole time. As I drove I kept tabs on the avg mpg on the DIC (driver info center). It climbed past 28, then 29 and finally to 30 when I put the display back to temp and odometer. When I checked it again it was at 32.x and then it got to 33. I was hoping it would get to around 36 (like my black '09 V6 could) but it never got past 33.9. After it got that high I got into some steep hills that dropped it to 32.x (scarey!), where it stayed for a long time. After I got to the flat lands it started creeping up slowly. I had already gotten past 400 miles and it looked like I was going to be able to make it all the way to my destination on one tank, but with the avg hanging around 33.3 the computer kept showing I was about 50 miles short (Garmin GPS showing distance to destination). Earlier it looked even worse -90 miles- and then actually got to the point that it said I had more miles to empty (MTE) than I had to my destination! But alas, it was not to be. My DIC reported 68 MTE, then 63, yet I still had 115 miles to go. Then it said "Low Fuel" and the MTE changed to a similar message. (Can't remember exact words right now... dang CRS!!) I was working hard to trust my MTE calculation as I approached 500 miles since the last fill up that morning, and though it was arbitrary I wanted to get past 500 before filling just to prove I could. And I did! I passed a gas station at 498 and started sweating a little, but at 503.5 I found a Shell station and started breathing again. After getting to my destination and settling down I did the manual calculation on the mileage. The DIC reported 33.6 when I stopped to fill, and the manual calculation yielded 34.486!!! I drove all the way from Louisville, KY, to Edinburg, VA, without stopping or fueling, a distance of 503.5 miles on 14.600 gallons, paying $50.50 at $3.459 per gallon of 89 octane (yeah, it clicked off a little before that but I topped off about another 30¢ or so). As a matter of fact, I didn't have any snacks or drinks with me (very unusual!) and just never felt the need to stop. It was straight through from 9:40 to 5:55, a drive of 8.25 hours without a break! Of course I tinkled and got a mocha drink at the Shell pit stop and then hit the road again, only this time I cranked it up to 70 to get where I was going, which was only another 50 miles.

I figure that 500 miles at an average of 60 mph = 8.33 hours, whereas if I had been driving at 70 when it allowed (and probably more like 75) it would have a slightly higher average of 66 mph (rough guess), yielding a trip of "only" 7.58 hours, or a savings of 45 minutes, but at a cost of about 7 mpg and maybe more, since I seem to usually get around 27.5 on trips. So, at that mpg it would have taken 18.3 gallons for the same distance, or 3.7 gallons more. At the price of $3.459 that means I saved $12.80 and paid myself $17 per hour for that 45-minute loss. I just might make the return trip at 60 as well!

See less See more
#2 ·
" I passed a gas station at 498 and started sweating a little" - LOL

I did this 2 weeks ago, not for the long distance that you did, but I really tried to reach my destination before filling up. DIC was showing like 100km to empty and I still had around 90km to go. I ended stopping, i knew the area and there were no gas stations for the reminder of the trip, plus, it was already late and i was into the woods.

#4 ·
That's crazy! 500 miles on a tank by sticking to 60 mph? I figured I might be able to crack 30 mpg by driving the speed limit, but I had no idea I was losing like 5 mpg by driving 70-75 on the highway (in a 65 zone).

#5 ·
Talk about crazy! Yeah, it was! But since I wasn't in a particular hurry and needed to save the 45 minutes it cost me to drive a tad slower I opted for the better MPGs. The crazy part didn't start until I got to around 400 miles (which is how far I went last year returning from DC to KY at 75-80) and started checking the computer against the Garmin to see if I could eek out another 100 miles. It was dicey but that elusive goal is now mine!

* does dance around the dining room * <--- You should be happy you didn't see me dancing! ;)

The biggest tip I can offer is to drive with a huge following distance so you simply need to tap the speed up or down a tad to maintain the gap, staying off the brakes. Brakes, as you know, just act to convert the speed into heat and throw it into the air, effectively converting gas into a trail of slightly warmed air that only the USS Enterprise (starship) can detect. I even had to reduce my speed a few times to about 55 just to keep from getting tangled up in a traffic snafu.

But, yeah, it was hairy for a few miles! You should try it some time...

#6 ·
I would think at 60 mph you wouldn't have to "keep a distance". I would think everyone would be passing you like you were standing still lol.

I've done similar driving to my dads for 2 hours at 70 mph and I always yield a solid 30 mpg. Thats why we NEVER take my wifes 2.4L G6 on trips anymore. It can actually yield worse mpg if its windy and hilly terrain, like going to Mackinaw Island. The little 4 has to struggle :)

#7 ·
Actually you're mostly right, but I actually passed several vehicles along the way. And, yes, they were proceeding under their own power, not coasting or being pushed. ;)

#9 ·
We did it ourselves. As far as I know there is no dealer "kit" that they can install.

#10 ·
Yup. Mine aren't even functional yet. It's a lot of work and money. I read a thread where another member had a dealership handle all the work and parts, cost him over $1000. I suppose you could cut that price in half if you purchased the parts on your own and only had the dealership complete the wiring and install the program to activate them.

#11 ·
Or you could use an alternate method while still using the factory lights and switch. There's an accessory relay system that uses a single-contact switch for each of 4 circuits and it cycles the relays on and off. That is what would be needed for the momentary switch the factory uses. The brand is Pilot and the part number is 670844. You'd end up with 3 spare circuits but you also wouldn't have to pay the programming fee. Having them working and looking like factory it would now depend on if you wanted to have them functioning completely like factory or not.

#12 ·
Hey Bob,
your 500 miles are not a biggie, it seems. I went from Cleveland to Toronto last night and i filled up somewhere in Pennsylvania. Doing 70 in 65 and 60 and 55. No passing, all CC. Filled up normally, no overfills, no tricks. About 15 min back on the highway, I checked my DTE and it said 596, around the NY toll booths. I'm pretty sure I can hit the 600 mark just by getting speed limit only :) (got a pic to prove it)

#14 ·
I'm not sure if your car has the V6 or I4. With the I4 I can see you getting further than me quite easily. In the past I've driven 75-80 (July '11) and gotten 29.4, which ain't bad, but another 5 mpg is quite a bonus!

i have gone over 500 miles on a tank and had to stop so the 2 ladies could "go" still had about a quarter of a tank showing , i was going 75 most of th time . I am running the 2.4 so i dont want you to feel that i am just out driving you but someone else stated that they dont do well in hills and mountians but that is preety much what the entire trip was.
when i returned onto the roadway the dic gave me a readout of 620 mile range .
Yeah, I hear ya! :) I didn't have anyone along except me, and it was so rare because I also had no drink or snacks along. I just kept driving and driving 'cuz I just didn't need to stop. I'd love to get 600! Congrats!

#13 ·
i have gone over 500 miles on a tank and had to stop so the 2 ladies could "go" still had about a quarter of a tank showing , i was going 75 most of th time . I am running the 2.4 so i dont want you to feel that i am just out driving you but someone else stated that they dont do well in hills and mountians but that is preety much what the entire trip was.
when i returned onto the roadway the dic gave me a readout of 620 mile range .

#17 ·
I believe so. 16 gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.