Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

remote start problem

19K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MadMaxx 
#1 ·
hey i installed an aftermarket stereo a few months ago and didn't re install the "dic" so i thought that was the problem i just installed the metra 99-3303 with "dic" display thought that would fix the problem but it didnt anyone have any idea what could help

#2 ·
The remote start stopped working immediately after the install? Hood ajar switches go bad sometimes. Scan data has 'remote start disable history' data in it but of course you need a scan tool equipped to read that data to see it. Lights flash when you lock the car, then attempt a start?

#4 ·
My '11 is picking and choosing when to start using the remote. I'll have to set an appt this week while I'm off work. While I'm there they'll have to get a new right headlight due to water being inside. I tend to think they'll discover the hood latch switch is marginal and replace it.

#5 ·
i was looking this issue up a few days ago (mine hasent worked in months) and from what i read it can be a number of things causing it. granted the hood swiches do go bad alot, but from what i can remember the car gets the singnal then checks the DIC for any trouble codes or warnings (like a false open hood reading) and if all that checks out then it starts.

this information didnt really help me any, but i figured id post it on the off chance it helps you

#6 ·
When it was in last Wednesday (today is Monday), the service writer immediately backed away when I told him I had done some mods. Started spouting "won't be covered" garbage. His tech took a look at it, cleared any and all codes, and it's been sweet for a week now - starts every time by the remotes.

It was also there for water in the right headlight that hasn't gone anywhere for 2 months. His first words were "GM says that's normal." I told him it isn't and I disagree. He said he'd check with the service manager and GM. They replaced it that visit. Glad they did, too. Saved me a few phone calls!

And finally, the sunroof shade is rattling now and then. Real nuisance. They ordered a new one. The newest TSB has it being replaced with a newer design instead of the old TSB just putting some foam tape up there. I hope it fixes it. If not I'll just live with it. Shouldn't have to, but I will.

#8 ·
Today at noon I hit the remote start and it wouldn't. So I went outside, started it with the key, then turned it off, exited the car, and it then successfully started via remote. I let it run through 10 minutes and shut off, then restarted via remote again.

I guess it stored the reason for the failure?

#9 ·
I'm inclined to believe it would store data as long as the lights flashed to acknowledge the RVS command. I don't see in SI where the BCM data for RS disable history is defined at all. I know it's there though, I've seen it. I think even my Verus (SnapOn scanner) has it.

#10 ·
It has failed at least twice more just this evening. It's 24* outside and tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 18*. I want it to work when it's this cold but it looks like it's gonna fight me until I get it back to the shop.

#11 ·
I'm not sure what you're driving but I've got an '05 Maxx LT. It's had the same kind of problem this winter. I'll get a check engine light on the colder days (high 20's and below) and then the remote start won't work. I've been to Advanced Auto Parts twice to get the code cleared. Both times it was something about my antifreeze. Antifreeze has stayed topped off though, so I'm thinking I have a sensor going bad somewhere. Check out the check engine light the next time you use your remote start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.