Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolant leak - round 2

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  LindenBruce 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Well, I'm back with another coolant leak on the OH8 Malibu with 3.5V6. This time it's the radiator. It appears to be leaking from the bottom passenger side of the tank where it crimps on to the aluminum core. It's dry above this point so I'm fairly positive it's not the hose. You can see the coolant in the purple circles.

I am looking at getting an A/C Delco radiator for just a hair over 200.00 but it's warranty is 12 months. However, the Spectra radiator is 130.00 with a 24 month warranty. And O-Reillys Murray is 190.00. So what do you guys think? A/C, Spectra, Murray? Or a different brand? I plan on doing the hoses while I'm there, it just makes sense. But, should I do the thermostat too while I'm there? The car is just a tad over 5 1/2 years old with less than 80,000 miles.

Also, circled in red, is the transmission coolant line. Do I need a special tool to disconnect this line? Thanks, "wet again" Bruce

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, got the new radiator today and when I got her home and opened the box it was wrong. It had an extra heater hose connection on the driver's side tank. So it's going back for a refund. It also turned out to be a Vista-Pro and NOT a Murray. Called around and Autozone had a Spectra-Premium that appears to be correct, but it's 75 bucks more. I'm going to call the Chevy dealer and see what an A/C Delco goes for just for curiosity. Man, I'm glad I bought local on this thing. B

#6 ·
My choice for parts suppliers is Rock Auto.
Price is right and in most cases you get a selection of mfgr. and can choose among them with the price breakdown. Shipping is fast also.
The family "fleet" I maintain is 5 vehicles and RA has only goofed up once on me and that was a wrong trailer hitch for my 'bu . They paid the return shipping in that case as the site data was wrong.
Anything I need for repairs that are not having to be done yesterday RA is my primary supplier.

#7 ·
Yeah, I have bought stuff from RockAuto before and had good service as well. As it turns out, the first radiator was the "most" correct. As the second one was a mirror image of what I needed. It turns out that by going by year application I get the wrong radiator. But if I go one year earlier it's correct. I guess this car was at a break point in manufacturing and year models. Production is mid July of 2007.

Well, I got her all back together no sweat. It went back together better than I thought too. I had to remove the driver's side headlight assembly to make things easier. But she is good as new now. Bruce

#8 ·
Sounds like your '08 is a Classic Gen6, not the Gen7. Got pics? If it's actually a Gen7 then they may have been using earlier model radiators until the new ones finally arrived or until the old stock was depleted enough.

#10 ·
Anythings possible with a changeover build.
Had a Co. work truck, fleet build, that needed a gas cap. Parts listing was totally off, turns out when it was built they put a fill neck in from 6 yrs. prior. Was a E150 van '80's vintage. Gas attendant (NJ no self serve) never put cap back on so it became a arm full of caps in the parking lot to find the right one.
It must have been a clean the warehouse out build and if it fits it's good to go.

#12 ·
Yours is a Gen6 '08 Malibu Classic. I moved the thread for you.

I don't understand the idea to change models and keep building the old one alongside the new one, but hey, I ain't paid the BIG bux!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.