Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

06 V6 fuel gauge gone goofy

45K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Drunken Elvis 
#1 ·
hello me again and of course i fix one problem and another pops up now the fuel gauge bounces all over the place when i start the car it does this for about 5 min or so then eventually settles in what i assume to be the right spot any ideas on what this might be?
also on a side note how do i go about cleaning the MAF sensor? do i use throttle body cleaner and just shoot it through the back? i dont want to do it wrong and mess it up

#2 ·
It COULD be either of the issues below, or another common problem is the fuel level sensor. Wiring issues are not common but not unheard of either. If this only happens in Park or Neutral, the gauge signal is not buffered in those ranges and the gauge will bounce around more if the vehicle is rocked back and forth. In all other ranges, the level signal is buffered to reduce gauge fluctuation. Was something done recently to the fuel tank? A little more info like recent repairs would be nice.

09-06-04-007A: Fuel Gauge Does Not Read Correctly, Fuel Gauge Stuck, Check Engine Light,

DTC P0455, P0461 Set (Reposition Fuel Vapor Line) - (Apr 6, 2009)

Subject: Fuel Gauge Does Not Read Correctly, Fuel Gauge Stuck, Check Engine Light On, DTC P0455, P0461 Set (Reposition Fuel Vapor Line)

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu/Maxx

2008 Chevrolet Malibu (Classic)

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

2005-2009 Pontiac G6

2007-2009 Saturn AURA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add DTC P0455 and update the Subject and Condition. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-007 (06 - Engine- Engine Controls).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on the following conditions:

• The fuel gauge does not rise above the 3/4 mark after a fill up or the fuel gauge appears "stuck".

• An illumination of the check engine light.

• On rare occasions, the fuel gauge does not read the correct level which may result in a no start condition due to a low fuel level.

Upon further investigation, the technician may find DTC P0455/P0461 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Performance stored in the ECM/PCM

Cause
This condition may be caused by a fuel vapor vent line (that is internal to the fuel tank) interfering with the travel of the fuel level sensor float arm.

Correction
Verify the customer concern.
Remove the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement in SI.
Disconnect the fuel pressure sensor and sender electrical connections.

Disconnect the evaporative emission (EVAP) vapor line quick connect fittings (1, 2).
Disengage the fuel feed line from the retaining features built into the fuel tank.

Using the J 45722 tool and a long breaker-bar, unlock the fuel sender lock ring.

Remove the sender unit and check for possible interference between the internal vent tube and the sender float arm.

Take the sender vent line and turn it around to the side of the fuel tank sender. Make sure to rotate the vapor line to the spring guide bar.
Important: Cut off ANY excess tie strap. Make sure material doesn't fall into the fuel tank.

Add tie strap, GM P/N 12337820 (note that this is a fuel compatible material), to prevent the vapor line from rotating forward and allowing the pipe to interfere with the fuel level float.
Install an O-ring seal, GM P/N 22682111, onto the fuel sender.
Install the fuel sender assembly into the fuel tank.
Using the J 45722, install the fuel sender lock ring. Turn the fuel sender lock ring in a clockwise direction.
Turn the lock ring until the ring seats on the second detent.
Engage the fuel feed line to the retaining features built into the fuel tank.
Connect the EVAP vapor line quick connect fittings. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service in SI.
Connect the fuel pressure sensor and sender electrical connections.
Install the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement in SI.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

SEAL, FUEL SDR (O-RING)

TIE STRAP

#06-08-49-008A: Erratic Fuel Gauge (Does Not Go To Full or Moves Off Full Too Quickly) (Reprogram PCM) - (Apr 12, 2006)

Subject: Erratic Fuel Gauge (Does Not Go To Full or Moves Off Full Too Quickly) (Reprogram PCM)

Models: 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

2006 Pontiac G6

with 3.5L Engine (VIN 8 -- RPO LX9)

Built Prior to January 12, 2006

This bulletin is being revised to update the labor operation code. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-49-008 (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the fuel gauge is erratic (does not go to Full or moves off Full too quickly).

Cause
This condition may be caused by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration.

Correction
Important: The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve may need to be updated before reprogramming the PCM. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-04-002A to determine which type of EGR valve is on the vehicle being serviced.

Technicians are to reprogram the PCM with an updated calibration using one of the following procedures:

• On 2006 model year vehicles built with the 3.5L (LX9) engine and a Delphi EGR valve, replace the original Delphi EGR valve with the new Siemens EGR valve kit (P/N 89018175). Install the new Siemens EGR valve, tube and harness connector. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-04-002A and then reprogram the PCM using the updated calibration.

• On 2006 model year vehicles built with the 3.5L (LX9) engine and a Siemens EGR valve, do not replace the EGR valve - just reprogram the PCM using the updated calibration.

Refer to the Engine Control Module Programming and Setup (3.5 or 3.9) procedure in SI for more information.

#3 ·
also on a side note how do i go about cleaning the MAF sensor? do i use throttle body cleaner and just shoot it through the back? i dont want to do it wrong and mess it up
I'll give that part a shot.
I would think that the air intake "tube" would have to be off to do a good job of cleaning the whole throat.......but someone else should be able to give a more specific answer.

#4 ·
Take the MAF out of the intake tube and spray it. There is a specific MAF cleaner marketed, you don't want a residue on the sensor but you can use brake clean if you can't find MAF cleaner. Question is why do you want to clean it? It's right after the air filter, unless you used a K&N style filter with too much oil on it, what's the reason to clean it?

#5 ·
i have been using a cleanable k&N "style" filter its actually a universal cone style and it is possible that it has had too much oil on it at some point

as for the gauge problem nothing has been done anywhere near the gas tank and no check engine light comes on the gauge just bounces around sometimes for no aperent reason yet other times it doesnt happen at all and works normaly

#6 ·
One thing I learned is when your battery has been disconnected your fuel gauge wraps around and hits the stop. To reset this straiten out a paper clip and with the ignition off
stick it thru the trip odometer hole and rotate the needle counter clockwise back to the correct position.

#7 ·
09-06-04-007A: Fuel Gauge Does Not Read Correctly, Fuel Gauge Stuck, Check Engine Light,

Is this a warranty item? I ask because our 2006 Malibu LTZ has a 139k on it. Today getting fuel this exact thing started happening. There have been other electrical issues, such as brake light malfunctioning and working backwards. Dealer finally fixed this for us. The main electrical connection needed to be reseated. The wife took it by autozone to pull codes but the worker said codes couldn't be read because they couldn't connect up to it. Any tips greatly appreciated. Kent

#8 ·
Is this a warranty item? I ask because our 2006 Malibu LTZ has a 139k on it.
An '06 with 139K and you think this should be a warranty issue? Really?!? Seriously?!? At what point do you feel GM has done their part? Your manufacturers warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles, not the life of the car. The only exception would be a recall of some sort, which this isn't, a special coverage, which this isn't. GM dealers do have the ability from GM to 'policy' a repair but the further you are from the expiration of base warranty in time and mileage, the less assistance you generally get. The general limit is 5 years and 60K out of warranty, that isn't engraved in stone, it is not a guaranteed thing and it generally is not free, you end up paying some part of the repair. It is by no means something you are just entitled to, it is done on a case by case basis and is meant to assist in certain circumstances only. Show me some other business that 'extends' some sort of thing like that to their customers, good luck getting a product repaired in warranty most of the time, much less after it expires. This notion that warranty goes on forever is ridiculous.

#10 ·
You're stretching 'safety item' pretty hard there. A fuel leak is a safety item, I can drive my car for years with no fuel gauge. There is no recall on these cars for anything to do with the fuel gauge. You said that Autozone couldn't pull codes, so you assume the problem with your car is related to the bulletin you gave based on what happening? Your gauge doesn't work right? Does it favor reading towards empty or full? All you need to communicate with a scan tool is power on pin 16, lower right side of the DLC and ground on pins 4 & 5, data comes off pins 6 & 14. If their tool didn't power up or communicate at all, concentrate on power and ground. The pin 16 power is from the HVAC CRTL BATT fuse in the BCM fuse block. Also look to make sure those pins on the DLC aren't obviously spread which would make for a poor connection. You should have the codes read first. If you do end up dropping the tank, that bulletin should be performed, at the mileage you're at though, I would be wary of the level sensor flaking out being the real cause of your problems. If you need the pictures from that bulletin, I can get them to you as well. You can also check the connector at the front of the fuel tank for loose pins or corrosion which could also affect the fuel gauge accuracy.

#11 ·
Thanks for info. I got the info from the above post. It happened in this order, Fuel Gauge Does Not Read Correctly, Fuel Gauge Stuck, Check Engine Light after fueling up. I did a search and found this post. So that is why I asked. But as usual a couple of key cycles and everything is working normal. Prayer works. Thanks back to OP.

#12 ·
Hello,
I had the same issue and it is a common problem with this make/model from what i hear. The fuel sensor needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, it is attached to the fuel pump which is in the tank. The part cost me $64.00 and I had to get it from the dealer. If you want to have it done, it will cost $500-$600.
Good luck

#14 ·
I have an LTZ that has the same issues. The check engine light will sometimes come on, the fuel gauge will show full, then just drop to empty even after just putting gas in the car. Is this the fuel sensor ? I don't have $500-$600 to get it fixed and the wife has already run out of gas ounce with this gauge malfunctioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.