Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexos 5w20?

56K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  rodhotter 
#1 ·
A little confused about the motor oil I should use in my 2013 Malibu LT with the 2.5. The manual and oil cap call for 5w20, GM "requires" Dexos approved, and most of what I find is Dexos 5w30. At the same time, am wondering if full synthetic would be a good idea. I think (but don't know for sure) that my dealer uses a semi-synthetic blend. Help? Thanks!

#8 ·
The oil in your comparison is 20W50 (same oil I use in my air cooled motorcycle) which is much thicker than the 5W20 in question.
By the way, they still list 5W30 as recommended for our 2013 ECO.

#9 ·
So, what was the issue with the lifters? The oil apparently didn't cause the issue, the lifters did. Replaced 'em and it ran. I would even bet you that she could run on 20W-50 just fine now that the lifter issue has been corrected.

And what's debatable about the answer I gave? Tighter tolerances during manufacture don't turn into oil passages that are so small that thinner oil is needed. If 10W-40 is too thick to flow through the oiling system then I'd contend that 5W-20 is not much better. What those manufacturing improvements do is get you an engine that runs better for more miles and with less wear to break it in.

Case in point: How viscous is any oil at 20°F? Fossil-based oil has parafin in it that needs to warm up to flow; synthetic flows much more easily when cold. If most engine wear happens while driving down the road then that which happens at start-up is of little consequence. But since most of it happens during cold starts you would naturally want to protect your engine the best way you can by using synthetic or blended oils to assure the oil will flow as quickly as possible at that time.

For anyone who wants to learn more (like I did), a trip to Bob Is The Oil Guy with some reading is very eye-opening! I'm amazed at what I used to think was accurate until I went there and learned differently. Sure, some might say it's like drinking Kool-Aid, but ask them what they're drinking. (And maybe if they'll share some! ;))

I just have a measure of difficulty accepting your contention that today's tighter tolerances require thinner oil. And your example has too many other variables in it that are undefined to make it a plausible reason to buy into your statement.

#10 ·
I think that all Dexos oils are going to be a semi-synthetic blend. I *know* that the Dexos oil used at Husker in Lincoln is a semi-synthetic. The synthetic they use is Mobil 1 and is also Dexos (like comes standard in the Cadillacs).

I just had my first oil change, and went with a full synthetic for peace of mind. I know that the semi-synthetic is supposed to be fine, but since I plan to change it only at the recommended interval, I personally feel better with it being full synthetic. Especially when you consider the cold starts on days like we've had the last few weeks.

I can't speak to whether they put in 5w20 or 5w30, but I'm sure either will be fine. From the things I've read it's mostly a fuel economy issue (one of they saves like 0.25 mpg or something like that for CAFE).

#13 ·
Just buy Mobil 1 5W-20 at walmart, it's dexos 1 certified and fully synthetic. You'll even save some money versus having your dealer put in their own oil.

The reason the 2.5L calls for 5W-20 is to eek out maximum fuel efficiency from the lower viscosity. The 2.4L Eco uses 5W-30 because it's based on the old Malibu's port-injected 2.4L. It doesn't have the hardware tolerances of the brand new 2.5L. Toyota started using the same oil trick in the 2012+ Camry to get more FE out of their engines too.

#16 ·
Good catch. I was thinking most Mobil 1 products had the Dexos 1 stamp (partly because they're the official oil of many GM racing teams), but apparently not. They are, however, ILSAC GF-5 approved, which is a more standardized certification.

I wouldn't feel worried putting any Mobil 1 product in my vehicle, but since Valvoline has Dexos 1 certified 5W-20, you might as well go with that.

#21 ·
why is that
I personally don't buy into the hype. Reminds me of Amway There are those that do, I'm just no one of them.

I'm really into high performance Harley Davidson's and I know a Sh!t ton of people that swore by Scamsoil, their like a cult.

I actually use redline 20/60 in my scoot.

If you use Scamsoil, put a quart of Slick 50 in there also. While youre at it

#22 ·
Dude, what're you smokin'? Care to share with your buds? ;)

Amsoil is not snake oil but it is overpriced. But now they offer a product called "OE" that is "synthetic", but I believe it's a blend or made from fossil derivatives.

To me, synthetic is, well, synthetic, meaning not naturally occurring. So that means they would take chemicals, blend them into a cocktail and Voila! you have an oil base. Then just pour in the additive package for engine protection and put it in a bottle. (Kind of a simplified overview, but you get the drift.)

#26 ·
I use synthetic (usually Mobil 1) in my truck that's parked outside and the C5 and '06 GTO...but only because the blends are near the same price as full synthetic...Dino Oil on cars that aren't out in the weather a lot or don't spec it is fine...I would place a higher priority on getting the oil changed regularly (when it needs it)...

Bill

#31 ·
If you are referring to the 2.5 in the '13 Malibu, if your dealership is using dexos 5W30, they are not using the recommended oil which is dexos 5W20. I'm pretty sure the '14 full size trucks are going to 0W20. In a few years, we'll have GF6A and GF6B ILSAC specs, then you will need to keep a cheat sheet to know what oil goes where.

#28 ·
amsoil is prolly one of the best oils out there, they recently introduced lower priced FAKE group synthetics to compete as there is VERY FEW group IV synthetic oils marketed after castrol won a court battle with mobil to allow group III oils which are highly refined dino oils, very good but not the extreme protection of a REAL group IV synthetic. its rumored shortly after its loss mobil reformulated most of the oils to the cheaper group III oils

#29 ·
Interesting stuff. Can you point us to some articles? Not saying it ain't so but this is the internet and on this forum we try not to promote hearsay as fact. Thanks.

#32 · (Edited)
used amsoil for close to 20 years in many vehicles, my latest traded in 2001 vw jetta 1.8T upgraded to almost 300 hp. 199,xxx at trade time 20" on the vaccum-boost gauge! castrol sure screwed things up winning their court battle against mobil to classify group III dino as "synthetic" rumor has it mobil reformulated most of their oils shortly after to the cheaper group III synthetics. most oil companies hide specs and details of their products in order to sell cheaper to produce oils for more $$$$$$ the american way, just like they hide junk ingredients in todays food, gotta be a scientist to understand stuff IMO!!! my girlfriend bought the 13 malibu and i maintain it so i am here looking to learn about it. thanks to all!!! just noticed 3 amsoil 5-20 oils group III synthetics 2 of them and group IV + V signature series meet or exceed dexos specs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.