Gas cap light... serviced 6 times - Page 7 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #61
MaudetheMalibu
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Gas cap light... serviced 6 times

I was at the dealership the other day getting my creeky break pedal fixed and they said they have another car with the same problem that had been in the shop several times they tried everything they did for mine and it still did not fix it, they are going to probably end up buying that one back.
2.4L 4spd Auto

20% tint all the way around
Chrome grill and pillars
Full Clear Bra
Silver metallic bowties
MaudetheMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #62
hypedave
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Brown

Welp, i've got 2050 miles on my Malibu now. This morning when driving to work the "Check Gas CaP" message displayed. Five minutes later my check engine light came on. On Star called shortly after and ran a diag on the car to send to the dealership.

Hopefully it's just a bad gas cap for me. I'll have to take her in on Monday. My wife admitted to possibly capping off the gas when she last put gas in it, arrgghh!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #63
Fish-man
CMF Junior Member

Anyone who has had the tank replaced have any updates?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #64
Luckyshot
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 1LT
Sliver

I am having this same problem also. Been to the dealer 2 times now. They have a new fuel tank on order and I will let you all know after they put it in. I was told by my Dealership they are plastic tanks
and they are having problems with the tanks expanding and contracting with the change in temps.
Luckyshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #65
closer9
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
Anyone who has had the tank replaced have any updates?
I've got almost 24k miles on mine now, and no problems since... I need to be careful saying that. Friday I told a friend I hadn't needed my generator in 3 years. Sunday the electricity went out, and I fired up the generator...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #66
SAinCA
CMF Rookie Member

August 4th 2010:

After replacing the breather pipe, and the sender and the level-sensor and STILL getting the ping-ping after three different fill-up-and-use scenarios, Chevy replaced the entire tank in July 2010.

Haven't repeated any of my usual 3 scenarios yet (local gas prices way higher than out-and-about prices) but so far so good.

Beware! I did find that although you can press the cap down and ratchet it on, there are times when you can simply pull it back off!!! Happened to me twice and I'm no weakling in pushing the cap on...

Hopefully my problem is fixed, but I've thought that before...

Sadly, California Lemon Law requires the vehicle to be repeatedly repaired for a problem that causes significant loss of use - this is just a pain and doesn't qualify for a buy-back. That said, I'd still buy another Malibu - they are that good...

2008 1LT with 41K miles - White
SAinCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #67
Luckyshot
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 1LT
Sliver

Well I got the car back from the dealer on fri. and they replaced the fuel tank and pump assembly. They said they found a soft spot in the plastic fuel tank causing it to expand and contract. I filled it up last night and will test it today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Luckyshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #68
Todd Anderson
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Summit white

I have an 09' Malibu that the check engine light has come on and off for awhile now. I replaced the gas cap and same problem. My mpg has lowered a little but wondering if this is a serious problem or can I let it go for a short time. 66,000 miles or so.
Todd Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #69
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Anderson View Post
I have an 09' Malibu that the check engine light has come on and off for awhile now. I replaced the gas cap and same problem. My mpg has lowered a little but wondering if this is a serious problem or can I let it go for a short time. 66,000 miles or so.
A lit CEL just means its popped a code. What is/are the code/s? And why did you replace the gas cap?

Last edited by greenman; 11-08-2012 at 11:19 AM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #70
Todd Anderson
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Summit white

So did it end up being a bad valve that wouldn't close or open properly? Or something else and could it possibly have engine castrophe problems like shutting down or not starting?
Todd Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.