Cassette player/new cd player instllation - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
maxarbit
CMF Rookie Member
2002 Malibu LS
Green

Gallery: 0
Default Cassette player/new cd player instllation

Hi guys,

First of all, I know that this topic has probably been beaten to death. However, I am still unable to find an answer that I can be contented with. So posting it here.

I have a 2002 Malibu with a factory installed CD/radio player. It doesn't have a cassette player. Obviously, I would love to play music from my iPhone/usb music stick. I do not mind installing a cassette player and using the aux cassette player or for that matter, even installing a new CD player. However, as I read about installing the new CD player, there seem to be lot of issues with respect to: (a) having to buy lot of accessories to get it working (b) and obviously ending up paying for the installation too, if i get it done outside.

First question: I see a tag on my current cd player which says (CD aux). Does that mean I have an aux connection somewhere? It's certainly not there in the front. If yes, how can i use it to play from my music player with aux input.

Second question: I see that there is a slot available in my dash below the AC controls. Is that space for a cassette player? In that case, can I buy a cassette player from ebay or some such sites and install it?

Third question: If none of the above work, and I do get a new CD player, how hard is it to install it myself? I know the CD player would cost around 80-100. But what about the accessories. I can't just get a hold of a list of all the accessories I would need.

Thanks! Waiting for replies!
maxarbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
rdkmaxx
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu Maxx LT
Silverstone

Garage
Default Re: Cassette player/new cd player instllation

I have this device in my Maxx for my ipod Nano, and love it. http://isimplesolutions.com/universa...nzIt-IS77.aspx
The unit is hard wired to the radio, so once it is tuned to the home frequency you select for it, it will play your iphone or ipod from coast to coast uninterrupted, and crystal clearly.
I bought mine from Best Buy, and had the Geek Squad there install it.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
maxarbit
CMF Rookie Member
2002 Malibu LS
Green

Thanks for the reply!

Can you please let me know the total amount that you ended up spending including the installation? Even a rough estimate, if you don't remember the exact price, is also good enough. I just want to make sure I don't end up spending a lot more than I should!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
rdkmaxx
CMF Junior Member
2006 Malibu Maxx LT
Silverstone

Garage

I believe the total cost installed was around $175.00. Price can vary with the year vehicle you have, also.
I know I could have bought a new complete radio with usb capability, but I wanted to keep the factory info center, plus my factory radio plays and sounds great, including the CD player.
Check this thread page here:http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...1514#post91514
I have a few photos of my setup with my ipod nano mount.

Last edited by rdkmaxx; 11-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.
rdkmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
maxarbit
CMF Rookie Member
2002 Malibu LS
Green

I did finally get this thing installed - like you suggested at best buy.
The total cost when bought at best buy was around 175$. However, when I came back and checked the prices at Amazon, they were way lower than what I was charged. I had to go back to best buy to do a price match and they did. Finally it all came down to ~125$!!

Thanks again for the great tip. This was what I was looking for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.