2010 Chevy Malibu LS - US8 to UUI Radio Swap - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
totalitus
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LS
Black

Gallery: 0
Default 2010 Chevy Malibu LS - US8 to UUI Radio Swap

All,

This is my first post here so hopefully i don't screw this up. 6 months ago I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu LS. It came standard with the US8 Radio and I really wanted to get the UUI radio for the USB interface.

I bought the UUI radio (Part #: 20940843) brand new from shopgmparts.com. Install went smooth, I removed the dash panel, swapped the radio and it worked flawlessly. To my surprise, the radio worked without displaying the LOCKED message and it did not require programming. However, I did take it to the dealership to get it programmed thinking they would have to register the radio with my VIN for OnStar to work.

Even though it works ok there are a few quirks: the car chimes/beeps are somewhat softer now, especially the turn signal noise. I did try to toggle the chime sounds from NORMAL to LOUD on the radio but it's still not the same as it was when I had the US8 radio. Also certain chimes do not come on anymore such as when turning the automatic lights off and back on. It's not a big deal but I am wondering as to why this is happening.

The most annoying problem I am having is with FM reception. I get static noise and poor reception in the background constantly no matter where I go or what station I tune in to. AM works fine on the other hand. I am not sure if this is a radio-amplifier issue or the fact that I do not have the BOSE premium sound. Or maybe the dealership did not program it correctly?

I am not sure what to do and how to proceed. I am thinking of just swapping back to the US8 and selling the UUI or selling both radios and going aftermarket unless I fix the radio problems at least.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks!

Last edited by totalitus; 11-13-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Extra Information added
totalitus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
09LT2
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
White

Garage
Default Re: 2010 Chevy Malibu LS - US8 to UUI Radio Swap

Welcome!

This has been tried a few times on here. Have you noticed the audio volume being quieter too? We figure the root of the problem is that you do not have the amplifier in the trunk. The signal going through your speakers is un-amplified.

I would either go back to stock or go aftermarket!

Mine:
2009 Summit White LT2 3.6L V6
Factory Fog Lights Added

Hers:
2009 Performance Red Metallic Pontiac G6 2.4L 6Spd
Factory Fogs added
Black SPO Upper and Lower Grilles
09LT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
totalitus
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LS
Black

09LT2, Thanks for your reply.

I did not notice any problems with volume. I guess you are right about the lack of amplifier, FM transmission is weak and occasionally the signal fades in and out. AM transmission however is not affected.

Does this mean the US8 radio has a built in amplifier and the UUI relies on the premium sound package amplifier? I also noticed that the US8 radio was branded AC DELCO but the UUI radio is a Panasonic.

The reason I am somewhat holding back from going aftermarket is because I like to keep things as stock as possible. Also, it seems that there are a lot of additional harnesses and adaptors to be purchased in order to retain the stock chimes and other features.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
09LT2
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
White

Garage

Yes the UUI relies on external amp. Also, the premium audio systems are bi-amped, meaning there are 4 wires going to each speaker. 2 wires go to the "sub" and the other 2 go to the mid/highs. The basic system uses full range speakers.

Mine:
Factory Fog Lights Added

Hers:
Factory Fogs added
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
totalitus
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LS
Black

I have been doing some digging:

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5...44/index5.html

If I understand correctly, it is a matter of programming by using a dummy vin and selecting the option of non amplified sound system. I wonder if this would solve the problem. I would love to call the local dealership and have them at least try but they gave me enough heartache already trying to program the UUI radio the first time.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
totalitus
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LS
Black

Here's some additional information:

http://www.kappaperformance.com/foru...p?topic=7537.0
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
09LT2
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
White

Garage

Interesting... So you would just need to go to the dealer with a LTZ vin number looks like. Then they can pick which options they want to use

Edit: actually, your own vin should work, seeing as you dont have amplified system. They just need to change the option in the radio for non-amplified.

Mine:
Factory Fog Lights Added

Hers:
Factory Fogs added

Last edited by 09LT2; 11-13-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
michaelj3
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Mocha Steel

So, I tend to agree that there is more to it than the head unit.

I think the answer is this:
The UUI radio can output either internally amplified speaker outs

OR

Pre-amp level outputs to the auxiliary amp (premium audio option) in the trunk.

This is consistent, because my 2012 1LT has the UUI radio, but NOT the amp in the trunk. My guess is, you don't want to go to the dealer w/ a VIN for an LTZ, because the LTZ has the premium audio, but your ride does not have this option. What you want is a VIN for a car like mine, with the UUI radio, but not the amp in the trunk. Or, maybe it will just come up for them on their scan tool, since a valid option is indeed the UUI radio w/ out the optional amp, the key I think is maybe they need to tweak the model year so that they have an option to program it that way. I know 2012 is a good year, since I have this setup stock. Then again, I may be wrong too.

As for your fuzzy FM reception, my guess is on a loose antenna connection to the head unit when you replaced it. The amplifier we have been discussing here is the power amp for the speakers, not the incoming FM signal. It is possible there is some distortion or whatever since you are driving speakers w/ a pre-amp level output, so I would definitely get it reprogrammed first, before ripping the dash apart again. If that doesn't fix it, I would check the antenna connection.
85 Toyota Tercel (1988-1998)
93 Geo Prism (1993-1999)
96 Chevy Tahoe LT (1996-1997)
98 Chevy Tahoe LT (1998-2001)
99 Chevy Venture Ext (1999-2008)
99 Chevy Suburban LT (2001-2004)
04 Chevy Suburban LT (2004-2013)
08 Honda Odyssey (2008-2010)
10 Honda Odyssey (2010-Present)
12 Chevy Malibu (2012-Present)
13 Chevy Suburban LTZ (2013-Present)

Last edited by michaelj3; 11-14-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added comment on FM reception.
michaelj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
totalitus
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LS
Black

Searching around earlier I came across more information.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...55/index2.html

It seems from that discussion like the UUI radios may not be built with a pre-amp like the US8 radios are. In that case it would not matter if the radio is programmed for a non-amplified system. Is that logic correct? Anyone else has any input on this?

The other thing I can think of is the fact that the US8 radio was AC DELCO branded and the UUI is a Panasonic. I wonder if the vendor difference also accounts for any technical changes, such as the AC DELCOs having pre amps and the Panasonics not having any?

However from what you are saying michael, If you have the UUI radio and no premium sound package with amp, I may still be able to do it. I will give my local dealership a call later and see if I can have them take a look at it again and re-program my radio. However, I am afraid the answer will be: "Can't be done", as usual. Would you mind if I used your VIN if the technicians decide to try the experiment that you mentioned?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
09LT2
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
White

Garage

Good info here...I didn't realize some newer Malibus have the premium radio without amplifier. It seems as though in 2012 they started dumping some premium options into lower models just to get rid of their back stock of the parts, since new model year for 2013.

Mine:
Factory Fog Lights Added

Hers:
Factory Fogs added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.