bad fuel mileage! - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #21
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: bad fuel mileage!

I just drove 503.5 miles on 14.600 gallons in my V6. I left at 9:40 AM, filled up at 5:55 PM, and maintained a cruise control set speed of 60. I didn't do any tricks going down hills like turning off the key, but I did put it in neutral (engine running!) to coast and pick up speed for free.

Doing the math that's 34.486 mpg on a V6!! If I can do that at 60 the I4 should be able to get pretty dang close or even surpass that while doing 70.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #22
Speed_Freak5150
Super Moderator
2010 Malibu 1LT
Imperial Blue

Gallery: 2

The I4 has to hold the RPM's higher to obtain 70. Not sure if it would be able to do that. I have not tried seeing as I do not get to drive the Malibu much. It's the wifes car.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #23
michaelj3
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Mocha Steel

Gallery: 0

I have a 2012 1LT 2.4l. On my last 250 mile trip my DIC read 32.8, my Average Speed on the DIC was 63. While on the highway, I had cruise set at 69. This was all Minnesota driving, flat, no appreciable wind. For whatever it is worth, the OnStar MyLink app on my phone says my lifetime MPG is 24, I have 5600 miles now. My guess is the miles are 60-40% split city-highway.

I can't get better than about 20-21 in town, but my highway mileage is almost always between 31-33. I do notice, I can easily make both of those drop an MPG or two if I elevate my driving style from conservative to spirited for any length of time at all. In town, I try to keep the RPM's under 2500.
85 Toyota Tercel (1988-1998)
93 Geo Prism (1993-1999)
96 Chevy Tahoe LT (1996-1997)
98 Chevy Tahoe LT (1998-2001)
99 Chevy Venture Ext (1999-2008)
99 Chevy Suburban LT (2001-2004)
04 Chevy Suburban LT (2004-2013)
08 Honda Odyssey (2008-2010)
10 Honda Odyssey (2010-Present)
12 Chevy Malibu (2012-Present)
13 Chevy Suburban LTZ (2013-Present)
michaelj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Thank you for sharing your experiences, michaelj3. I try to keep my vehicle under 2000 RPMs on my city driving route to and from work.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #25
Steve_AZ
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Silver IceMetallic

Currently on a road trip with the Malibu... figured out through the use of my ScanGauge that if you lock it in 6th gear in manual mode, you can hold it to the floor from about 55 mph to 70 mph and still make 26 to 28 mpg. The engine is at a low enough speed that it won't inject any more fuel than that. By using manual mode and losing a few mph on the hills and not down shifting unless really necessary I managed 28 mpg on one tank and yesterday got 34 mpg on a tank. I took a pic of the DIC showing a fuel range of 597 miles when I filled up!

Overall average is just over 26 mpg and we've been making anywhere from 20 to 25 mpg in town. This is the first longer road trip we've had it on.
Steve_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
kencar10
CMF Senior Member
2010 Malibu 1LT
gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
The DIC fuel economy readout has been discussed on these forums pretty frequently. While the measurement may be based on fuel injector readings, there is still a certain amount of error (which will decrease over the next decade or so) and as a result, pros like the people at Motor Trend and Car & Driver calculate their own fuel economy rather than rely on the digital display.

My car is always optimistic by .5 to 1 mpg. For some people, that's close enough, but I'm pretty particular about such things.
The pros, like at Motor Trend, will calculate the mileage based on exact fuel used. They will do this by weighing a known amount of fuel before starting and weighing it after the test, hence they know the exact amount of fuel used for the mileage they went.
If youre measuring the mileage yourself by filling the tank, then driving, then filling the tank to see how much fuel you used, you will not be exact. Too many variables when filling the tank, like temperature. You will be reasonably close but not exact. For instance, if you go 450 miles on a tank and you figure you used 14.2 gallons based on the pumps reading you will get 31.7 mpg. However, if you off just by 0.4, and you actually used 14.6 gallons, your mpg is only 30.8, nearly 1 mpg less.
Id say if your within .5 to 1 mpg of the cars DIC, then its probably pretty accurate.
kencar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencar10 View Post
The pros, like at Motor Trend, will calculate the mileage based on exact fuel used. They will do this by weighing a known amount of fuel before starting and weighing it after the test, hence they know the exact amount of fuel used for the mileage they went.
If youre measuring the mileage yourself by filling the tank, then driving, then filling the tank to see how much fuel you used, you will not be exact. Too many variables when filling the tank, like temperature. You will be reasonably close but not exact. For instance, if you go 450 miles on a tank and you figure you used 14.2 gallons based on the pumps reading you will get 31.7 mpg. However, if you off just by 0.4, and you actually used 14.6 gallons, your mpg is only 30.8, nearly 1 mpg less.
Id say if your within .5 to 1 mpg of the cars DIC, then its probably pretty accurate.
I am aware of everything you said, it doesn't really contradict what I was saying.

If done properly, hand calculations are much more accurate than your post implies. Additionally, when you've recorded 10 tanks of gas or more, any tank-to-tank error is virtually eliminated. At that point, you also have a very good idea of what your driving should yield on any particular fill-up. So when I say my car's computer readout is .5 mpg optimistic, it's based on consistent results.

My own method cuts down on variables. I use the same pump at the same gas station on the medium flow setting, I wait till the pump cuts off and I do not top-off. Error is practically nil.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

On top of that, I've never been able to top off as much as 0.4 gallon no matter what pump I've used. It's usually something more like 0.1 gallon or less. So even though the example above was just an example to make a point.

Even with different pumps and topping off one time and not another, the manual method will be able to yield more repeatable results than a computer that uses laboratory averages for mass-produced items. The injectors are good but they don't all meter the exact same amount of fuel. Instead the computer allows the emissions to fall within a range that's allowable instead of chasing an elusive "perfect 10" goal. So, by assuming that the system is injecting "X" amount of fuel when in actuality it's injecting a different amount, even if off by only a very small percentage, what it assumes is constant and will never correct itself over many tanks like the manual method does just by virtue of the fact that you can't pump 17 gallons into a 16-gallon tank.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.