97 Malibu various issues - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Joshua358
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu LS
Champagne

Gallery: 0
Default 97 Malibu various issues

So I have a plethora of issues with my recent purchase of a 1997 Malibu from a used car lot Circa 11/16/2012. Soon after I test drove the vehicle, with Most everything I could check working (Instrument cluster lights, PRND32 light in the middle, and rear running lights) I was disheartened to find that NOT 48 hours later It had developed what seemed to be to me, A knock in the engine, though i'm not for sure on that. I Pulled out the good ol' paper towels and checked the oil, Black as the devil's blood, did not notice any greenish/orange contamination or bubbling, so i'm not sure but i do not believe the head gasket let go(I'm not a mechanic, though i play one on tv hah)

Anyways today, monday, I went to pick it up from whence it died, when i got in to start it, it suprising enough started, and ran alittle rough for the most part, the intense knock/grind/smacking noise had subsided for a small while.

Try driving it back to the lot, as i'd called the other day to see if they'd fix the tail-light issue so i could legally drive at night (Delivery guy, so it's more than half my time spent at work is night driving). Anyways, I get it maybe 7 miles down the road, 2 stoplights total. Last leg of my journey, just 3 little miles to go, I glance down at my temp. Gauge, seeing it closing in on nominal operating temperature. I kid you not, as soon as it got to the halfway marker, the engine cutoff and i coasted down to a halt, side of the road, 3 miles away from my destination...they have a flat bed and mechanics....

I call them to see if maybe they'd do the right thing, and come rescue me from this unkempt lemon! No...voice-mail message to me upon receiving my call "Yeah...we're not going to be able to come pick it up or look at it til sometime next week".

Needless to say I'm becoming flustered, All I wanted was a car that would start, go, and stop. I'm easy to please. Waited an hour to get a tow from a very not local Tow service, Get it to their lot, expecting again, maybe they'd step up and comp the tow as this is directly their fault, these issues were never discussed with me when I chatted with the salesman/owner. I feel i'm getting off topic so we'll go back to the issues at hand.

Now knowing the conditions of how this transpired I have a few repairs needed. Noticeably the most imperative issue that I need to fix, along with the Tailights (didn't work when i drove it off the lot, i feel ashamed to have not tested it thuroughly) was that the engine seems on it's way out and honestly I do not know about you guys, but i would hope i could get more than 2 days of use out of a car for 1800 bucks...

Be that as it may, I've returned it to the lot where I got it, to see if there's anything they can do to fix the issue with it not actually running.
Joshua358 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
MrsChelle
CMF Rookie Member
2003 Malibu Ls
Silver

Default Re: 97 Malibu various issues

My comment isn't going to be in regards to the repairs needed. Though I will say if they have a good mechanic yes they can diagnose and repair it in its current state. But some states have laws about used car lots selling what we'll call lemons. If it is implied that the car is in sound condition even if the sale was as is there is a 3 day or so window that the car stay in running order. You'd need to check on your state though. This doesn't tend to apply to sales made by individuals but only car lots. Just something you may want to look into in case they don't want to repair it. Best of luck hope they get her fixed up right for ya.

Last edited by MrsChelle; 11-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.
MrsChelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Joshua358
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu LS
Champagne

Default Re: 97 Malibu various issues

I've been looking into calling an attorney for such, as it's 72 business hours here in Indiana...and they're a licensed used car lot, so..Needless to say i'm going to either get the repairs done, or a different vehicle and go through this ordeal again.

Update:

Got a call today from the dealer (10 days after first bringing it in). Camshaft snapped in half. Apparently I was the next contestant on catastrophic engine failure! But on a lighter note, they offered to replace the engine..at my expense...again. Thinking I may pursue this dealer for these wrongdoings!

Last edited by Joshua358; 11-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Joshua358 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.