electric control module or rack and pinion issue - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
wifescar
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default electric control module or rack and pinion issue

Hey tried reading thru the 38 pages of steering issues on the seperate thread but I wanted see how to diagnose the difference between a control module issue vs. a rack and pinion issue. for me we had already replaced the clunking steering column but now have inconsistant power steering. Turn to the left and it seems OK turn to the right and it is stiff. no vibrating steering wheel, no dash light on. Car sometimes wanders to the left. I am thinking to replace the steering module but at $440 for the part that can't be returned(electrical) I want a little reassurance. Does anyone have any other diagnostic tips. Thank you in advance for any replys.
wifescar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

Default Re: electric control module or rack and pinion issue

Contact GM and ask about an extended warranty on the steering components. You may be covered.
Drunken Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
daveyio87
CMF Junior Member
2008 Malibu 1LT
Silver

Has it been aligned recently? Sometimes if you align them and dont reset the torque steer it will do that. You need a scan tool to do this. Either way replacing the motor you will need to do the same procedure to set up the new one.
daveyio87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
wifescar
CMF Rookie Member

I talked with my local dealer and they are going to look at it. They think they can get it covered under the "warranty". The vehicle was recently aligned, along with a new control, new steering column, new tires, etc. I was not aware of the torque steer needing to be reset...I will mention that to the deakler as well. In have never heard of that before. Is that something that is required because of the elcetric steering?
wifescar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifescar View Post
I talked with my local dealer and they are going to look at it. They think they can get it covered under the "warranty". The vehicle was recently aligned, along with a new control, new steering column, new tires, etc. I was not aware of the torque steer needing to be reset...I will mention that to the deakler as well. In have never heard of that before. Is that something that is required because of the elcetric steering?
"new control"? Does that mean new control arm?

Did they replace the steering column or the ISS (intermediate steering shaft)?

There are two recalibrations (for the steering position sensor & the torque sensor) for EPS but which need doing depends on what was replaced. If the work was done at a dealer I suspect the recal was done (though that certainly isn't a given).

Last edited by greenman; 11-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.