How-to: Remove door panel and install aftermarket door lock actuator (an $8 fix!) - Page 6 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #51
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: How-to: Remove door panel and install aftermarket door lock actuator (an $8 fix!

Perfect testament why forums like this work!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #52
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Gallery: 0
Default Re: How-to: Remove door panel and install aftermarket door lock actuator (an $8 fix!

Thank you for sharing your update, Boomdog15. I’m glad you were able to get this resolved.

From my family to yours, we hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
Lessy2009
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Gold Mist Metallic

Dear Boro or other members,

I have read your "How-to" to remove the door panel of my malibu 2009.
I've use it to remove the led in the interor door handle. I've tried to remove the cable who came from door latch to the interior panel but i was unable to. I did not want to break anything on the door panel. I was able to remove the door handle led even if the cable was there.

Could you give me more info about this part, do i have to pull very hard o the attach of the cable to remove it?
Do i need o twist the connector that hold the cable with plier to remove it?

Because i will need to disamble the interior door one more time. The door speaker is broke.

Thanks in advance and excsue my english.

Chevy for Life

Last edited by Lessy2009; 01-27-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Lessy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #54
kevinmaq
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1lt
silver metallic

just completed this fix on my rear passenger door and was not as hard as i was thinking it would be...thanks to the op for the write up
kevinmaq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
nextyearcubs
CMF Rookie Member
2008 LTZ
Grey

Great How-to!!! I used this to fix my left rear door, although it worked opposite the other doors until I switched the wires. I'd recommend checking it before you solder/crimp those connections, there must be some differences in the actuators out there!
nextyearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #56
sbuettner9
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu lt

I just replaced my actuater on my front passenger side. First thing was the wiring in my door didn't match the description. I had two tan wires. I of course picked the wrong one the first time. Then I got it to work put everything back together and I realize that the lock is working the opposite of how it is supposed to. When I push the lock button it unlocks and vice versa. Is this just the actuated wired back wards?
sbuettner9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #57
kevinmaq
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1lt
silver metallic

Yeah you probably just got the wires switched around. ..I did that too when I did mine
kevinmaq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #58
Mcontrols
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 1LT
Gray

Yep, reverse the polarity of the wires.

MC
Mcontrols is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #59
atomicode
CMF Rookie Member

Just followed this DIY to replace the actuator on my 2009 Malibu LT - right rear door. Thanks to Boro and everybody who commented and provided further guidance on this thread. Great directions and pictures, took me about 3.5 hours, which included having to reverse the wiring to sync it with the lock/unlock operation. I failed to verify it was in sync when testing the door before I crimped my wires together - rookie move. Damn near was ready to put the panel back on before seeing it was working opposite the other doors - whew! Luckily had plenty of wire length to spare so just cut the wires again, reversed the green and black and recrimped. Btw - I didn't solder the wires together - I just bought butt connectors at Radio Shack and some extra 18 gauge wire which worked perfectly. Total cost $17 - $10 for actuator, $7 connectors/wire. Thanks again!
atomicode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #60
wje
CMF Rookie Member

Lightbulb Re: How-to: Remove door panel and install aftermarket door lock actuator (an $8 fix!

I was quite excited to come across this great post a few weeks back. While I don't have the Malibu, I do have a Buick LaCrosse, that is built like all the other GM vehicles of this era and use the standard mechanism for the lock actuator. I was frustrated at hearing the parts prices $129 and $119, as I needed both rear door actuators to get fixed. Both kicked out on me within two weeks of each other.

I was able to document my process with a few pictures that I can share with the forum here and regardless of the GM vehicle, it can usually be repaired in a similar manner with the great after-market actuators. I actually splurged and purchased a 4-pack for under $18.00, including shipping from that big auction site.

The process for removing the door panel is similar, but should be reviewed first and I found some tips on the Web, as well as videos in my search, too.

With the inside door trim removed, I located the tan and grey wires. I then cut the wires and installed the actuator. Mine had to be oriented a bit different than the one on the Malibu as my door lock button is towards the front of the door on the LaCrosse.

In this image, I've labeled the arrows #1, #2, and #3.

The door insulation had to be trimmed (arrow #1) a bit in my case to allow for the mount of the actuator. Arrow #2 indicates how I positioned the actuator on the inside door of my car. Arrow #3 shows how I used the clamp provided with the actuator to connect the arm from the new actuator to my existing rod for the door lock mechanism. In my case, the actuator "pulls" the rod when engaged.

If the image doesn't appear, here is the link to the image in my gallery:
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...pictureid=4146

Here is a picture of the inside of my door trim. I had to remove a bit of the styrofoam foam block in order to allow for room to mount the actuator. Also, I had to snip one of the plastic tabs off so it didn't protrude into the area where the actuator was to be placed.

If the image doesn't appear, here is the link to the picture in my gallery:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...pictureid=4154

I can't thank those who have contributed towards the effort - especially the original poster. I'm thankful that we don't have to open our wallets to replace parts that could very well only last us one year.
wje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.