Ignition Key and Location - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 0
Default Ignition Key and Location

Hello Everyone,

I liked the ignition key, key fob and ignition location on my 2010 Malibu. It was a standard ignition key that went into the dash and the key fob was separate.

Did they change this for the 2013 Malibu, or is it the same as the 2010?

With the 2013 Cruze, the keyfob and ignition key are all one unit. The key does retract which is nice, but the ignition is back on the side of the steering wheel and I have trouble finding it at night. They should have at least put a light next to the ignition so you can easily fit the key into the ignition. Also, it's a wierd shaped key, so it can be difficult to fit it into the ignition.
Also, the key fob is much smaller than the one I had for the Malibu, so I sometimes hit the wrong button or have trouble finding the button I want.

Does the 2013 Malibu have the same setup as the Cruze, or did they leave it the same as the 2010 Malibu that I had.

So far, the Cruze seems like a nice car, but the Malibu was much more user friendly.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Default Re: Ignition Key and Location

2013 Malibu has the one piece "switchblade key" and fob remote.

Looks just like this

Push the silver button and the key flips out.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
Richard
CMF Veteran Member
2010 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrunch View Post
2013 Malibu has the one piece "switchblade key" and fob remote.

Looks just like this

Push the silver button and the key flips out.
Yes, the Cruze has the same exact Key and Remote. I liked the previous generation Malibu setup. Amongst the issues I mentioned, the buttons are too small. Also, the key has a wierd shape, so I have trouble finding the slot for the ignition.

Did they move the location of the ignition on the 2013 Malibu to the steering wheel? It was on the dash in the previous generation. I thought that was a better location.

I noticed another change I'm not thrilled with. The interior and exterior lights don't turn on at night until you pull the key out. I guess I was so used to my previous Malibu. Gotta get used to this.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@Richard, the ignition for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu is located at the steering column. Please, feel free to view the interior pictures of the 2013 Malibu by going to the following link http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu-mid-...-pictures.html. The second picture will show you a great shot of where the ignition is located.

From my family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.