'97 Malibu, Strange blower fan wiring issue - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
epic
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu 4 Door V6
Blue

Gallery: 0
Default '97 Malibu, Strange blower fan wiring issue

I just purchased a 97 Malibu. It's far better built than my old Honda Accord.

Problem is, the blower fan won't come on. It's 5 Degrees Celsius here right now in Atlantic Canada, so I'm hoping to fix this asap.

The guy who sold it to me said the blower fan didn't work, it looked like an easy enough fix so I didn't worry too much about it. The blower fan itself does work. I attached it to a 12V power supply, and it spins up fine.

The resistor pack is worn out (Attached image)

However, my research indicates it should run on high, as that bypasses the resistor pack with a relay. I can get a new resistor pack at the dealer, but I want to make sure it will even be usable before I go spend more money.

There is no voltage on the purple and black wires going to the blower motor. I checked and tested all of the fuses, they're fine. I tried swapping the two identical relays, that didn't fix the problem. Could they both be bad? I even tried shorting the fusebox where the relay plugs in.

I pulled out the controls, and tested every speed setting with a multimeter. There's no resistance between whichever one is selected and the ground.

I also checked the connectivity to ground, and there is 0 resistance between the black blower motor wire and the purple wire.

The only other thing I can think of is the purple wire itself is broken somewhere.

Where does that go to? I can check it's continuance, and if it's broke, just run a parallel wire. I haven't been able to find a decent circuit diagram to figure out where the other end is.

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure this out. I've realized that 30A maxifuse #6, labeled air, has nothing in it. There was a 30A maxifuse in the glove compartment. Problem with this is, when I try to plug it in, there's no contacts. I looked in with a light, and couldn't see any that may have fell. What is maxifuse #6 for?

EDIT2: It's for an environmental gas monitor which my car doesn't have apparently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-20 15.04.22.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2534  

Last edited by epic; 11-20-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: maxifuse info
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
epic
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu 4 Door V6
Blue

Default Re: '97 Malibu, Strange blower fan wiring issue

Bump? Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

I don't even know where to go from here. Does anyone know where that purple wire from the blower motor comes from?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
epic
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu 4 Door V6
Blue

It was the brown wire from the fuse to the heater controls. It had a short.

I spliced in a new wire, and it works-ish.

I don't think it's completely connected to the pins in the plug that go into the heater controls. I have no idea what the correct terminology is there.

Where would I get replacement pins and/or plug?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
epic
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu 4 Door V6
Blue

Feels like I'm talking to myself..

The connector has no part number. It's part of the body wiring harness which costs over $600, and is discontinued. Great.

Found the connector at a junkyard for $5, installed it, and nothing. I'm getting very confused at this point.

There is voltage on the HVAC fuse, there is 0 resistance between the connector and the fuse box, the fuse is good, But there's no voltage coming through.

This shouldn't even be possible. There's a connection, there's voltage at one end, and none at the other. I'm losing my mind over this right now.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

One of the common issues with the control head is the failure for no apparent reason. "Normal" fixes don't seem to work on it. Do a search on this forum or use Google on the 'net to find the DIY fixes that work most of the time. From them you should be able to pick up enough info to apply to your issue.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
epic
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu 4 Door V6
Blue

It was definitely the connector. Picked one up for $5 at a junkyard, they just cut one off with 3" of wire to spare.

Must have blown a fuse screwing with it, there were two blown under the hood, the 12V accessory, and a 10A that had a 4 letter acronym for a description.(Can't remember which one)

Replaced those fuses, blower works great on 3, 4, and 5 now. The fuses were I tact when I started all this. I didn't double check them until I couldn't get anything earlier on today.

I know that there's a connection between the 1 and 2 positions and the resistor pack. I've tried two resistors, both just gave me 3/4/5. Is there anything else that can affect the blower speed that I'm not aware of? Could it just be bad luck and the second (used ) resistor also happens to not work on 1/2?

Last edited by epic; 11-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Epic - Back when my nephew had a wrecking yard, he wouldn't sell the resistor packs - they were so prone to failure on the 1/2 speeds.

So, yes, I'd say bad luck.

New ones aren't that much ... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=6557 has them as little as $14 plus shipping. Spring for the ACDelco and you may break $25 getting it to you.

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.