Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. - Page 39 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #381
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Thank you for the details, leshan.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #382
3pt1lumina
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Golden Pewter

Just picked the car up and it's quiet! Replaced the RFControl arm because of a loose ball joint. It's as quiet as it was upon delivery when it had 156 miles on it.
---The Cavalry---| 1975 Laguna| 1977 Chevelle | 1977 Monte Carlo | 1990 Lumina | 1996 Lumina | 1997 Lumina | 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 | 1999 Regal GSE Supercharged | 1999 Lumina LS | 2009 Malibu 1LT | 2013 Malibu LS | It's a sickness...
3pt1lumina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #383
TylerJames
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlint View Post
For the bump noise in the right front, Most likley is the Strut Mount. However after that is replaced(at the Chev dealer) noise is back in about 100 miles. Poor quality part from China. Also the hanger at the Catalitic converter, this is a known rattle. Also sounds like you may have a weak motor mount causing the vibration noise.
I have been a GM customer since 1947, Think this is my kast GM. Too much China low quality parts used in GM Vehicles.
Thank you. I will have to ask about this one at the dealer. Before I do, I might go to a trusted mechanic my uncle (driving school business) uses to see if he can help me diagnose before I take it in.

I can understand that the motor mount will help the vibration. What I don't understand is why the engine is vibrating that much anyway. I mean I put my hand on the engine cover and it's like a massage chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
@TylerJames. I apologize for the time delay in getting with you about your concerns with your vehicle. If you haven't gone to the dealership yet, I recommend requesting to take either the service manager or technician for a ride so you can show them what you're experiencing. Please, let me know how things are going and once again, accept my apologies for the time delay.

Hi Michelle and others,

Here is an update.

I mentioned all the issues above (windshield noise, popping noise, front end clunking, and engine idle) and here is what happened:

Windshield noise they figured is the passenger side mirror deflecting wind-noise. I thought otherwise because it seems to be in a specific area, especially in the dryers at a car wash.

The popping noise when reversing was a wheel bearing gone bad. Replaced under warranty. Noise is gone. Thanks to ChevyMalibuForum, plus this thread, plus the search function, I already had the thought that it was the wheel bearing.

They were unable to hear/determine the noise for the clunking. It seemed to be quieter when I first got it back (psychosomatic??), but now I can hear it loud as ever. "Unable to verify complaint." Hence why I may take it to a trusted mechanic first to see about a diagnosis so I can direct the service at the dealership.

The rough engine idle... They checked codes... nothing. Checked engine updates... nothing. "Unable to verify complaint." I still think it may be a spark plug, but again I may ask the mechanic to help me look at this. I don't want to do it myself for fear of messing something up I shouldn't. Oh, and the oil change seemed to help it a little bit - but it still vibrates a little too much for a 2011 V6. Heck, my girlfriends 99 Ford Taurus V6 does not vibrate nearly as much... Someone did mention (above) about a weak motor mount. I may have to ask about this one too. Maybe the dealer or a trusted mechanic.

I just wish front end noises were 1, easier to describe, and 2 easier to fix ! But I know that the noise can come from anything.

Thanks for the response Michelle and hjlint.

I was supposed to be getting notifications on this thread, but I see that it wasn't working properly. I will have to check back more often obviously!

Thanks,

T

Last edited by TylerJames; 11-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
TylerJames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #384
TylerJames
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

And now to add another issue to my list!

Just returned from a movie and the vent controls will not work... Not even after another engine cycle (I did this thinking the auto setting had something to do with it).

I can't figure out why this stuff keeps failing on a 2011 car under 30K miles!

--Back to topic--

I have been trying to make sure I pay attention to when the front end clunking (driver's side) is occurring. Doesn't matter the size of the bump - can even be a repaired crack, the clunking is there. Also doesn't need to be a bump - the road can be a bit 'shaky' and I can hear it.

Anyone know why a strut mount would keep going kaput after 100 miles? So is it worth having it fixed under warranty if it is to go bad after 100 miles?

Have a good night,

T
TylerJames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #385
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJames View Post
And now to add another issue to my list!

Just returned from a movie and the vent controls will not work... Not even after another engine cycle (I did this thinking the auto setting had something to do with it).

I can't figure out why this stuff keeps failing on a 2011 car under 30K miles!

--Back to topic--

I have been trying to make sure I pay attention to when the front end clunking (driver's side) is occurring. Doesn't matter the size of the bump - can even be a repaired crack, the clunking is there. Also doesn't need to be a bump - the road can be a bit 'shaky' and I can hear it.

Anyone know why a strut mount would keep going kaput after 100 miles? So is it worth having it fixed under warranty if it is to go bad after 100 miles?

Have a good night,

T

Hello TylerJames,

Yes, especially because your vehicle is still under warranty. I would recommend taking into your dealership and having them diagnose this issue with the strut mount noise.

Hopefully, they will be able to get it figured out and fixed for you. If you would like for me to schedule a service appointment at your dealership, I would be glad to. If so, please private message me your VIN, name, contact phone number, current mileage and your preferred dealership.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service (assisting Michelle)

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #386
White Diamond
CMF Rookie Member

To all the people experiencing the clunking frontend, I wish I could say there is a fix but I have come to the conclusion an inherent design flaw is to blame. My sturt assemblies have been changed 3 times with nary a change. I drove a 2012 Chevy Orlando, the frontend made the same sounds. My car produces the noise going over rippled surface where the ripples come in high frequency(closely spaced ripples) or on a lightly undulating smooth surface you can hear a faint lumpy sound emanating from the front. My car has done this from the 1st it was driven off the lot. By the way the steering rack and intermediate shaft have been changed, this eliminated another clunk I had and a clicking produced over speedbumps. It is shameful especially after driving a 2013 Sonic that had an extremely quiet suspension. It was a loaner car from the dealer. Also, I test drove a 2013 Fusion, not a noise, actually, the ride was on the best I experienced in a long time. I also had a loaner 2013 Malibu, I think it is butt ugly, but it drove well, no suspension noise, road noise I didn't find a dramatic difference from my 2010, however the 2013 Fusion beat them all.
White Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #387
3pt1lumina
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Golden Pewter

My clunk is back with less than 300 miles it goes back to the dealership this week.

EDIT: Called the dealer this morning, said "we have to determine the clunk before I know whether or not you'll be charged your GMPP deductible again." Let's see, if it was misdiagnosed the first time, there should be no deductible, right? It still has the same exact noise! That's the way it was when I was service writing just a little over 2 years ago at a Pontiac dealership.

Anyways, depending how this dealer and GM solve this problem will honestly hinge on whether or not I ever buy another GM vehicle. My wife's 2012 Cruze has a horrible 6 spd automatic transmission but thankfully we are leasing that, plus all of the issues with this car in the past 3 years. It's really sad. I know other makes/brands have issues as well, it's just disenchanting when you have been loyal to one brand for so long and you cannot have the vehicle fixed to operate as designed.

I think it's sad I turned in a 1997 Lumina with 180k for this, and that car had no suspension noise with all original parts?

Stay tuned, I drop it off later.
---The Cavalry---| 1975 Laguna| 1977 Chevelle | 1977 Monte Carlo | 1990 Lumina | 1996 Lumina | 1997 Lumina | 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 | 1999 Regal GSE Supercharged | 1999 Lumina LS | 2009 Malibu 1LT | 2013 Malibu LS | It's a sickness...

Last edited by 3pt1lumina; 11-26-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #388
Chevrolet Customer Svc

@3pt1lumina, have you heard any updates from the dealership about your Malibu?

Available Monday-Friday

Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #389
3pt1lumina
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Golden Pewter

Yes, dropped the car off last night and had a tech ride with me again. As we pulled out of service he goes I just heard it. This was the same tech that rode with me last week but did not work on the car last. He went in and told the writer it sounded like a bad strut, which was my diag as well. Writer said he would be in touch today.

So this was 5:30 last night for an 8 am appointment today. Received a call at noon car was assigned to a tech but not in the door yet. 3 pm I get a call that they cannot duplicate the noise and that the tech who listened last night called in sick today. Told me to come get it. I said that I was not taking the car back so they gave me a rental. They are hoping the tech will not call in tomorrow so it can be fixed.

Can't say I'm thrilled but I will let them fix it then I will talk to the service manager. In three years my family has purchased five cars there (two mine)and had them serviced there as well. This has been a very disappointing situation. I will keep you posted for sure!

Last edited by 3pt1lumina; 11-27-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #390
hjlint
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LS
Labyrinth MAT

Thumbs down Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pt1lumina View Post
Yes, dropped the car off last night and had a tech ride with me again. As we pulled out of service he goes I just heard it. This was the same tech that rode with me last week but did not work on the car last. He went in and told the writer it sounded like a bad strut, which was my diag as well. Writer said he would be in touch today.

So this was 5:30 last night for an 8 am appointment today. Received a call at noon car was assigned to a tech but not in the door yet. 3 pm I get a call that they cannot duplicate the noise and that the tech who listened last night called in sick today. Told me to come get it. I said that I was not taking the car back so they gave me a rental. They are hoping the tech will not call in tomorrow so it can be fixed.

Can't say I'm thrilled but I will let them fix it then I will talk to the service manager. In three years my family has purchased five cars there (two mine)and had them serviced there as well. This has been a very disappointing situation. I will keep you posted for sure!
Sounds like Sutliff Chev.in Harrisburg. Even if they replace the Strut and mount, the noise will return in about 100 miles.My strut and mount was replaced (at another dealer) and the noise returned in about 100 miles. You will read the same from others on this Forum.
hjlint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.