Low coolant - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

Gallery: 0
Default Low coolant

We have a 2009 malibu 3.6L that I noticed the coolant was a little low in the resovior. The "cool" mark is about the middle of the tank and the coolant is towards the bottom, so about an inch to inch and a half lower than what it should be cold. I'm going to pick up some coolant(pretty sure it's dexcool) and bring it up to the right level.

But what might have caused this? Is there any common leaks on the 3.6L that I should look into? Anything else I should be concerned about or look into?

Thanks
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Default Re: Low coolant

I'd have it pressure-tested & then you'll know for sure if there's a leak. Autozone may loan pressure testers for DIY. Or, they aren't very expensive to buy.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I'd have it pressure-tested & then you'll know for sure if there's a leak. Autozone may loan pressure testers for DIY. Or, they aren't very expensive to buy.
I have a stant pressure tester but will have to buy the adapter for this car which is the 12032 and costs 45 bucks! I love my stant tester and have used it many times but the adapters cost an arm and leg. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and order the adapter and see what the deal is.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Stants are nice tools
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
91SHOPlus
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Im having the same problem. Three weeks ago I got a new water pump that was covered under the five year 100,000 mile warranty. Now all my coolant has ran out again. I have no idea where the leak could be coming from or if its covered under warranty.

91SHOPlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@91SHOPlus, most definitely contact the dealership that performed the water pump replacement about your coolant issues. Under normal circumstances this should be covered under the Powertrain warranty.

Please, let me know how things go after you’ve visited the dealership.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

I ordered the stant adapter for newer chevys, the 12032
Amazon Amazon
. It should be here tomorrow. I'll do some tests and see if I can find any leaks under pressure. I doubt that I will be able to see anything since if there is a leak it's really small but we'll see what happens.

I'm going to go ahead and change the coolant also. I'm a believer in fluid changes, they are fairly cheap and not really hard to do. I like to drain the radiator and then fill with distilled water and run up to operating temp and repeat a few times in order to do a DIY "flush". Then fill with the correct mix of dexcool to get it back to a 50/50 mix. I haven't looked at the capacities for this engine yet, just picked up 2 gallons of dexcool and some distilled water for now. I can usually get it pretty close and double check it with a snap on refractometer to make sure it's the right mix.

Also going to flush the brake fluid. I"m not sure what GM recomendations are as far as intervals but there are a few car manufacturers that recomend every two years so that's what I like to do. Brake fluid is cheap and I bought a mityvac brake bleeder a few years back, http://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-mv6835.aspx which makes quick work of changing out the brake fluid. Anyone know the correct bleeding order for this car? I ordered a factory service manual but not sure when that will get here.

Also will do a trans drain and fill while I'm under there.

So that is my plans for the holiday vacation! Any advice is appreciated and if anyone would like pictures or even a little write up I would be glad to do that.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I wish I was allowed to do that kind of work here at my apartment complex.

Sounds like a good plan. If you'd like to share pics and tips that'd be perfect, since that is a lot of why we're here!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Probably stupid question but when you drain and flush the cooling system what do you use to catch the old antifreeze and what do you do with it? You would have to have a pretty big bucket or something to flush it a few times without letting it go on the ground.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint

Last edited by nutcrunch; 12-18-2012 at 05:45 AM.
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
JimD
CMF Junior Member
'11 Malibu LTZ
White Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
....Anyone know the correct bleeding order for this car?
With the advent of four wheel ABS there is no "incorrect" sequence. All four brake calipers are individually connected to the ABS module. The only shared plumbing is from the master cylinder to the ABS module.

Hook up your MityVac in whatever sequence is most convenient and have at it. FWIW, I also (try to) replace all the brake fluid every two years.

With some GM vehicles you can gain access to the front bleeder valves without removing the wheels.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.