Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. - Page 40 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #391
TylerJames
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlint View Post
Sounds like Sutliff Chev.in Harrisburg. Even if they replace the Strut and mount, the noise will return in about 100 miles.My strut and mount was replaced (at another dealer) and the noise returned in about 100 miles. You will read the same from others on this Forum.
An auto instructor who has been working on cars for 30+ years and who also has trained many of the techs in my town suggested a sway bar causing the noise.

Has anyone had that looked at for the cause of the noises?

T
TylerJames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #392
3pt1lumina
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Golden Pewter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJames View Post
An auto instructor who has been working on cars for 30+ years and who also has trained many of the techs in my town suggested a sway bar causing the noise.

T
That has been some people's problems, yes.

Michelle, here is my update:

I had to call the dealership at 11am this morning for an update. The writer that I have been working with told me that it WAS the right front strut as I figured. He told me they were fixing it and he'd call when done.

1:30 pm calls, tells me the car is done. He tells me there is a $100 charge for the warranty. I told him that I was not paying it because it was an issue that was never fixed, and on top of that I had to diagnose the car for them! When I picked up, there was no charge.

The car is quiet again and life is good with that. One thing that I noticed after picking it up, it's smooth as silk and straight as an arrow. After the last time it was in for the RF Control arm, I looked at the RO and it never was aligned. The car had a wobble in the front, but I thought it was because I rotated the tires and one was slightly out of balance. That is now gone that the car has been aligned after today's visit.

I am upset with how the dealership handled my vehicle coming back. I'm upset that I had to diagnose it, and literally fight them for having the car fixed. I'm annoyed with the fact that the car wasn't fixed right the first time when I told them this was the problem from the beginning. I know warranty work isn't fun for a dealership, and I know comeback warranty work is worse. However, I did pay $1050 for this warranty up front, plus $100 every time it rolls in the door. It may be warranty work, but certainly isn't free for me by any means.

For this reason, I am going to call the dealership and talk to the service manager tomorrow and explain exactly what happened. I am not looking for anything free, just to let him be aware that his original tech on this car and the writer I was dealing with did not give me a good experience.

Thank you Michelle for taking the time to field this. If anything else happens with the dealership or the vehicle I'll be sure to post.
---The Cavalry---| 1975 Laguna| 1977 Chevelle | 1977 Monte Carlo | 1990 Lumina | 1996 Lumina | 1997 Lumina | 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 | 1999 Regal GSE Supercharged | 1999 Lumina LS | 2009 Malibu 1LT | 2013 Malibu LS | It's a sickness...

Last edited by 3pt1lumina; 11-28-2012 at 07:40 PM.
3pt1lumina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #393
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Thank you for the updates, 3pt1lumina! Don’t hesitate to contact me any time.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #394
CJOliver90
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Gold Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJames View Post

T
I have come across the possibility through research and videos online of the issue being worn sway bar bushings and/or sway bar end links, i will be visiting a mechanic to check it out next week, and post my results. Since i have no posted to my issue i will state it now for reference. In the colder temps i get a clunking sound coming from what sounds like the front right wheel well area, the clunk occurs while on rough road, and almost seems to cause a slight amount of wheel hop as well, felt by the steering wheel being slightly shakey when the clunking noise is happening. once the ambient temps warm up, it dissapears. but then i hear a slight squeak.
CJOliver90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #395
TylerJames
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOliver90 View Post
I have come across the possibility through research and videos online of the issue being worn sway bar bushings and/or sway bar end links, i will be visiting a mechanic to check it out next week, and post my results. Since i have no posted to my issue i will state it now for reference. In the colder temps i get a clunking sound coming from what sounds like the front right wheel well area, the clunk occurs while on rough road, and almost seems to cause a slight amount of wheel hop as well, felt by the steering wheel being slightly shakey when the clunking noise is happening. once the ambient temps warm up, it dissapears. but then i hear a slight squeak.
Please let us know. I would like to know if this is the issue. I need to get my vent selection thingy (currently stuck on Defrost only) fixed, so I would like to get this issue fixed at the same time.

Someone in this thread mentioned that a "rippled" road will create the noise. Every morning, I travel down 1 specific road and I can recreate the noise on such a "rippled" road. By rippled, I mean the road is uneven in several spots all the way down the road. However, I can hear it any temp. Although you are right, the colder it gets the louder it gets.

When do you take it in?

Thanks,

T
TylerJames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #396
AuditorBill
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Black Granite

My '11 makes the 'empty plastic milk jug dropped three inches onto a cement floor' muted sound from the LF on low-speed bumps. Annoying. At 14K miles had it in for that and they replaced a 'worn' control arm bushing on that side. My wife drives the car 95% of the time, but last night (at 22K miles) I'm hearing the same noise, same side of the car, so it's either another control-arm bushing or something else entirely. Grrrrrrr. At 8,269 miles the trans was removed from the car and several new internal parts installed, so who knows if they got it put back together correctly up front. Very frustrating for a 2011 model automobile.
AuditorBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #397
Chevrolet Customer Svc

@TylerJames, I’m sorry to read about your concerns with your 2011 Malibu. Please, let me know how the visit to the dealership goes. Under normal circumstances this would be covered under the Bumper to Bumper warranty.

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #398
Chevrolet Customer Svc

@AuditorBill, I’m sorry to read about the concerns you’ve had and are currently go through with your 2011 Malibu. I apologize on behalf of Chevrolet as we realize you don’t expect to have things happen when you purchase a new vehicle.

When are you planning to take the car back to the dealership? If you would like assistance with setting an appointment please, let me know.

Available Monday-Friday

Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #399
Lck82
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 1LT

Wow. I didn't know this was such an epidemic with these cars. My wife use to drive a Pontiac that had this issue when it was cold, so I just wrote it off last year when my Malibu started doing the same thing. My 2010 Malibu LT1 will make the clunking noise from the suspension after being exposed to cold temps for at least 4-8 hours. After I drive it for 20 or so minutes, the noise goes away. I guess I'll be contacting my dealer/Chevrolet to see what can be done about this. Does anyone know if this poses any safety issues or if it's just an annoyance issue?
Lck82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #400
Chevrolet Customer Svc

@Lck82, I’ve exhausted my resources and I haven’t seen documentation of this being a safety issue. I hope things go smoothly with the dealership and this gets taken care of for you in a timely manner. Please, let me know any updates.

Available Monday-Friday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.