This Black Granite Metallic Paint is driving me nuts! - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
chrisguga
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu LTZ v6
BGM

Gallery: 0
Default Re: This Black Granite Metallic Paint is driving me nuts!

I'm a hobbiest detailer and I can tell you that you need to look into Optimum Polymer Technology's OptiCoat 2.0.

It's a coating rather than a flimsy sealant or wax. It can't be washed off and is a permanent coating that is harder than clear coat. It adds ~ 4 nm of thickness and makes a huge difference in swirl resistance. You won't have to wax your car for 5+ years. Their test car is on year 7 and going strong.

You'll want to prep the car properly first. Wash with Dawn, clay, ideally polish with a DA like a Porter Cable 7424xp, wash again with Dawn, and then use the OptiCoat. This may be a daunting task and it's well worth it to pay a professional to do it for you. Go to Autopia.org and ask for a detailer in your area. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

I have the same color car. This is with OptiCoat 2.0 and nothing else and it's really a very blah picture.

2008 Malibu LTZ v6
Black Granite Metallic with Cocoa/Cashmere
PTM bowties, 35w 5k HIDs, 6k LED interior lights
5k license plate LED light, lower grill chrome strip mod
Protected by Adam's Polishes
chrisguga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
chrisguga
CMF Senior Member
2008 Malibu LTZ v6
BGM

Oh, and trying to remove swirls by hand is like trying to crawl from Georgia to California. Sure, you can do it, but would you want to? Invest in a <$100 dual action polisher. I recommend the Groit's Garage (aka GG6) polisher as it comes with a lifetime warranty. Buy Meguiar's M105, M205, Microfiber cutting and polishing pads, watch a couple youtube videos, and get to work!

None of those sealants or waxes offer any scratch/swirl/marring protection. OptiCoat 2.0 does. Just FYI.

2008 Malibu LTZ v6
Black Granite Metallic with Cocoa/Cashmere
PTM bowties, 35w 5k HIDs, 6k LED interior lights
5k license plate LED light, lower grill chrome strip mod
Protected by Adam's Polishes
chrisguga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
GolfTango
CMF Senior Member
2009 Aura XE
Carbon Flash

I have to say the polar opposite.

I have Carbon Flash metallic and it is one of the best blacks out there. I normally only hand wash/dry it, but I've only had to lightly buff the car once in four years (this past summer) and only used the light polish. I keep the paint waxed twice a year and there are hardly any marks and zero swirls.

This GM paint is holding up extremely well. For what it is worth, I use Griots products including their random orbital buffer. I highly recommend one.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category...ing.do?nType=2
Old 11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
gohawk9
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu 2LT
BCM

I use Turtle wax black box and it does a pretty good job keeping the car looking good and it helps fill in the swirls
gohawk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
husker_fan
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black

I use Zaino on my black granite and am very pleased with the results
husker_fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
angeredsmile
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Black Granite

I have the same paint color and don't have this issue though I am quite anal about it getting touched by anything when it is dirty. My grandpa used to tell me to never, ever wipe a car down even if it is dust until nearly every last drop of dust is off of it. It's funny how even dust can scratch your finish.
angeredsmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #17
repairman54
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS 2.4
Carbon Mist Met.

My used '09 Carbon Mist car cleaned up fairly well.
Turtle Wax Ice is my wax of choice now for the quick shine, not the best long term as it barely handles the winter to spring but it's quick 'n easy with a good shine.
Micro fiber is your friend, it's the only wiper material that touchs my paint jobs.
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.