Official HID Lighting Thread - Page 30 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #291
mysilversurfer 12
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1lt
silver ice metalic

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Official HID Lighting Thread

i have read many of these posts and seen that just adding the relay harness can or does brighten the headlights,is this true or am i just not understanding something?
mysilversurfer 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #292
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

What it does is instead of using the extremely small wires to power the lights they are now used to energize a relay that then uses larger wires directly from the battery (through a fuse!) to power the lights. This reduces the losses due to resistance to a very small level. When a device draws a lot of current (amperage, amps) over a wire with greater resistance something has to give and that's usually the voltage, or, to keep the voltage where it belongs the amps will be limited. Overall it results in less power available to the device and causes the wiring to heat up more.

Imagine trying to put out a fire with a garden hose when a fire hose was available. Which would you choose? Voltage is like water pressure and amperage is like water flow (gallons per second). So with larger wires there's more electricity available to operate the device and less is converted through resistance to heat the wiring. More pressure (volts) and more flow (amps) results in the device operating more like the specs say it should.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #293
mysilversurfer 12
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1lt
silver ice metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
What it does is instead of using the extremely small wires to power the lights they are now used to energize a relay that then uses larger wires directly from the battery (through a fuse!) to power the lights. This reduces the losses due to resistance to a very small level. When a device draws a lot of current (amperage, amps) over a wire with greater resistance something has to give and that's usually the voltage, or, to keep the voltage where it belongs the amps will be limited. Overall it results in less power available to the device and causes the wiring to heat up more.

Imagine trying to put out a fire with a garden hose when a fire hose was available. Which would you choose? Voltage is like water pressure and amperage is like water flow (gallons per second). So with larger wires there's more electricity available to operate the device and less is converted through resistance to heat the wiring. More pressure (volts) and more flow (amps) results in the device operating more like the specs say it should.
thank you, that makes sense,i think ill try just the hid harness and see what happens,i appreciate your detail.

Last edited by mysilversurfer 12; 11-28-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #294
mysilversurfer 12
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1lt
silver ice metalic

would i just use a normal hid relay harness for the h11 ?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #295
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

I believe the answer to that is, Yes.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #296
ariker01
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
There are a fuse and a relay in the under-hood fuse box that control the DRLs. Pull one or both and they'll turn off. If they don't then maybe someone has modified your car or there is an issue elsewhere.
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up replacing my my harness and ballasts with a much better quality. I have sense had no problems with power inconsistency or flickering. I just keep my parking lights on during the day and turn on the HIDs' at night.

AutoLoc ION HID's 6K
Upgraded Euro Ballasts
ariker01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #297
TG2013BU
CMF Rookie Member
2013 Malibu LS
Black Granite

do u know where i can purchase a HID Kit for 2013 Malibu LS?
TG2013BU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #298
kpkacts238
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LS
Black

Thank you this was very helpful
kpkacts238 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #299
rcgreen85
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
black

Has anyone seen these... CMF EDIT: url removed from 1st post by new member - Chinese wholesale link I hope its true and they're starting to catch on that we want upgrades for our headlights. If it is I believe the 2012 is still gen 7. Not sure on the price tho. It appears to be that a group purchase is required but not positive on that, just curious if anyone else has run across these.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 04-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.
rcgreen85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #300
rcgreen85
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
black

So to start I'm not sure how beneficial this will be with installing HID but possibly with changing the low beam bulbs regardless of the application...
I recently took the car up to the dealership to get some work done along with changing the bulbs. After all the work was completed I noticed some chips from when they installed the bumper so I took it back up there. While the tech who worked on my car took the bumper off ect another tech claimed he changes the lows by only popping the inner fenders. Has anyone else been able to accomplish this? Ive searched the forums but haven't seen anyone else claiming this talent lol. If it can be done I would imagine it'd be to difficult to install the ballast/relays.

The tech that was claiming he could do this was a pretty big guy so I'm thinking he may be a little confused on his abilities.
rcgreen85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.