4cyl Rough Idle - Brakes Make Engine Stall???? - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
BoxerPowerBB
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Dark Grey

Gallery: 0
Default Re: 4cyl Rough Idle - Brakes Make Engine Stall????

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Which engine?

How frequently does it occur?

If you haven't cleaned the throttle body lately I'd start there.
It's the 2.4L. It is so intermittent it's hard to stay. Sometimes the car goes months with no issue, then it happens four times in a week. I'm more inclined to think it's some software issue but I will check the TB. Thank you

Last edited by BoxerPowerBB; 11-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.
BoxerPowerBB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerPowerBB View Post
It's the 2.4L. It is so intermittent it's hard to stay. Sometimes the car goes months with no issue, then it happens four times in a week. I'm more inclined to think it's some software issue but I will check the TB. Thank you
You may not like this suggestion but with that low frequency I'd suggest just driving it until its gets worse & pops a code which, odds are, it will. I suspect you may have already heard that.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
BoxerPowerBB
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Dark Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
You may not like this suggestion but with that low frequency I'd suggest just driving it until its gets worse & pops a code which, odds are, it will. I suspect you may have already heard that.
Yea either it will be driven till a code pops or traded in lol
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
MRC
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

I agree with the voltage issue. When my engine is misfiring, the idle lopes all over the place and does dip below 500rpm so that is most likely why the ESC and traction lights are coming on, those systems have nothing to do with the engine running poor.

I do have my cylinder leak down tester so I will try to dig into it today and also checked for a intermittent vacuum leak. The engine breakdown link I posted at the top seems to fit my symptoms.

Also, my car always starts right back up after it stalls, since your's has trouble starting or doesn't start at all, we may have different faults but similar symptoms.

Last edited by MRC; 11-30-2012 at 05:56 AM.
MRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
BoxerPowerBB
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
Dark Grey

I haven't had time to check the TB yet but my girlfriend came up with a good idea without even knowing what she was saying! She said it would help if my scan tool was plugged in 24hrs and BOOM it hit me lol. I could get one of the less expensive data logging units so that when it happens I've a recorded event of what is going on. Then at least I've got something to go by. That's my last resort other than I don't care if the car spontaneously combusts in the parking lot right now lol
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
MRC
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

I had time last weekend to do the cylinder leak down test on all four cylinders. Each test showed there was minimal leakage, almost matched the psi added to the cylinder so still in excellent shape at 100K on the engine.

The throttle body is clean and there are only a few vacuum hoses. One from the plenum to the intake and one from the brake booster to the intake. So doubt I have a vacuum leak. And at 100K, my spark plugs were still at factory gap of 0.035" or so.

I do suspect my coil packs though, driving sometimes I feel the car buck or misfire and I believe only a drop out in ignition can cause that sudden jolt, maybe fuel injector but doubt it. Think Rockauto.com had ACDelco coil packs for about $25 each, may buy 4 new ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121130_121021.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2564  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC View Post
I had time last weekend to do the cylinder leak down test on all four cylinders. Each test showed there was minimal leakage, almost matched the psi added to the cylinder so still in excellent shape at 100K on the engine.

The throttle body is clean and there are only a few vacuum hoses. One from the plenum to the intake and one from the brake booster to the intake. So doubt I have a vacuum leak. And at 100K, my spark plugs were still at factory gap of 0.035" or so.

I do suspect my coil packs though, driving sometimes I feel the car buck or misfire and I believe only a drop out in ignition can cause that sudden jolt, maybe fuel injector but doubt it. Think Rockauto.com had ACDelco coil packs for about $25 each, may buy 4 new ones.
You obviously know your way around an engine compartment. The tool you're missing is a diagnostic scan tool which would probably pay for itself with one use. If you have a laptop you can buy a decent software-based tool for around $200. Or maybe you know someone that will loan his to you. Then you'd have evidence you can use to narrow down the diagnosis. Throwing parts at problems is almost always the most expensive approach. Just sayin'.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
MRC
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

True greenman. It snowed here recently and my car really started acting up. Lots of random stalling, hiway and at stops, esc and traction errors. I did pull all the module connectors and add dielectic grease for the fretting corrosion tsb, (no help). And I found a thread in an HHR forum about bad grounds which i went through and found minimal voltage drops. Also checked the intake for vacuum leaks with brake clean. Nothing found.

Question: Any of you with a 4cyl get a rough idle and almost stall if you repeatedly press the brake pedal????

I pumped the brakes and rough idle almost stall, clamped off the brake booster vacuum line and pumped the brakes - stable idle with no change. Took the clamp off the line and pumped the brakes - rough idle, almost stall.

That make sense???
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Yeah, it does. Brake booster uses the difference between atmospheric pressure and the lower pressure of the intake manifold to add power to your braking effort. It does this by allowing the manifold to pull air in from the booster. The computer is supposed to detect this and adjust the fuel supplied accordingly. Sounds like yours is missing the opportunity to run right. Good job on testing it and identifying a symptom.

Now, for a real tech person to jump in and offer some truly wise words...

... ahem ... greenman or Rodents ... ?

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC View Post

Question: Any of you with a 4cyl get a rough idle and almost stall if you repeatedly press the brake pedal????

I pumped the brakes and rough idle almost stall, clamped off the brake booster vacuum line and pumped the brakes - stable idle with no change. Took the clamp off the line and pumped the brakes - rough idle, almost stall.

That make sense???
That does sound like a leak in the booster.

Try this:
engine running>depress brake pedal
stop engine while keeping pedal depressed
after half a minute the pedal should not have depressed any further
if it did you have a leaky booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.