Remote Fob Fix - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Thumbs up Remote Fob Fix

I just wanted you all to know that I have purchased, installed, and love the solution from KeylessFix (dot) com. I had been having to press really hard on one remote to get the doors to unlock, but locking seemed like a walk in the park. On the other remote it was getting a bit harder but not like the one. I separated the case halves of the one giving me the most trouble and verified that the battery was good (yep), so I cleaned the contacts on the board and on the back of the buttons. Dried them thoroughly (I cleaned them with water) and reassembled them, but to no avail.

I remembered someone mentioning KeylessFix so I took a chance and bought 2 for $18.95. (1 would have been $12.95.) In the meantime I took a small piece of foil and covered the inside of the rubber button to help make better contact. (Boy, did it! It would unlock if I drove over a bump! ) In less than a week I had the solution in my mailbox. After installing them between the rubber buttons and the circuit board I tested them out and was very relieved to get such a great solution at such a reasonable price.

I am not being paid or compensated. My endorsement of the product is meant to help any others with the same issue and to let you know that the product actually works.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Remote Fob Fix

You can buy replacement button pads on ebay for under 5 bucks. I would be surprised if there was more than one Chinese manufacturer making these pads but it's impossible to know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GM...790514&vxp=mtr

From what I've gathered in doing some research, there is a very thin layer of a conductive paint on the silicone rubber buttons that is failing over time & with use. There are conductive paints available & may work to restore the fob but I haven't tried that. The trick is that the paint would need to have good adhesion to the silicone rubber. The problem of paint adhesion may well be why GM fobs fail so fast. But whatever the reason, the conductive paint loses its conductive property. I took apart a 12-year-old-still-working Ford fob & found they use a different design that obviously works much better.

Also, I would imagine that attempting to clean the conductive paint only serves to make it less conductive by wiping it away.

Last edited by greenman; 12-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Sly Bob
CMF Senior Member

I agree greenman. A 5 buck replacement rubber keypad from eBay is the way to go. Done a few of them that way.
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

If you want to try a conductive paint you can get that stuff at the auto parts store that fixes the grid on the rear window defroster.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrunch View Post
If you want to try a conductive paint you can get that stuff at the auto parts store that fixes the grid on the rear window defroster.
It just so happens I have that stuff around here & may experiment with it.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

So I painted the button contacts with that stuff yesterday & just tried the fob & the first thing I noticed was the buttons were very quick to respond. So now I'll just have to wait & see how this "fix" works over time.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

It didn't take long to get the results of my experiment & I can report that it was an epic fail. That paint wouldn't stick to the button contact surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.