Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center


ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
kieres
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 1LT
Navy
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Gallery: 0
Default Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

We have just purchased a used 2010 Malibu, I believe it is a 1LT. There is a button on the steering wheel for the bluetooth function but it only mutes the music. We hold the button and nothing happens. The dealership claims that the bluetooth is not standard on the vehicle but I don't believe that. I think the bluetooth function is broken. It doesn't make sense for the button to be there and the function not work properly. My question is: Does anyone know if Chevy would have installed the button but not install the bluetooth function or is it most likely broken? We have also noticed there is what looks to be a microphone next to the reader lights on the roof.
kieres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Seadog69
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

I don't think Bluetooth is necessarily standard even though there is a button on the steering wheel.

If yours does have it, then you need to look at your owner's manual about Bluetooth pairing, setup, etc. Confirm that your phone is Bluetooth capable also and is on and with you in the car.

A Chevy customer service rep frequents this board. She may be able to get you a build sheet if you get her the VIN for your car. That should tell you what options/equipment that you have on it. She was kind enough to do that for me.
Seadog69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel
 
cp-the-nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,591
Gallery: 0
Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd
Default Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

Bluetooth is not standard on 1LT. In addition to muting the music, if you add minutes to your car's built in phone number, I believe that button is used for that as well. Even if it didn't have other uses, do you really think they're going to manufacture a completely different steering wheel because one button isn't used?
__________________

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Seadog69
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
Bluetooth is not standard on 1LT. In addition to muting the music, if you add minutes to your car's built in phone number, I believe that button is used for that as well. Even if it didn't have other uses, do you really think they're going to manufacture a completely different steering wheel because one button isn't used?
A car with a built in phone number? Can you tell me more about this? I've never heard of this.
Seadog69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives
 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,607
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

@kieres, please send me a private message with the VIN of your Malibu. I want to research the build sheet data. This should help clear things up for you.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
__________________

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel
 
cp-the-nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,591
Gallery: 0
Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd
Default Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog69 View Post
A car with a built in phone number? Can you tell me more about this? I've never heard of this.
I believe it goes through the system that handles onstar since that already uses some kind of cellular service. I may be mistaken about what button is uses (I never used it), but I can put minutes on my car's built in phone number and call people with it while driving.
__________________

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat
 
DrivenDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,878
Gallery: 6
Garage
Cool Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieres View Post
We have just purchased a used 2010 Malibu, I believe it is a 1LT. There is a button on the steering wheel for the bluetooth function but it only mutes the music. We hold the button and nothing happens. The dealership claims that the bluetooth is not standard on the vehicle but I don't believe that. I think the bluetooth function is broken. It doesn't make sense for the button to be there and the function not work properly. My question is: Does anyone know if Chevy would have installed the button but not install the bluetooth function or is it most likely broken? We have also noticed there is what looks to be a microphone next to the reader lights on the roof.
See cp-the-nerd's post below. 1LT does not come stock with BT. My '09 2LT came with it as did my '11 LTZ. The same button is used for Mute, In-car phone through OnStar, and BT, depending on options built into the car and/or installed later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
Bluetooth is not standard on 1LT. In addition to muting the music, if you add minutes to your car's built in phone number, I believe that button is used for that as well. Even if it didn't have other uses, do you really think they're going to manufacture a completely different steering wheel because one button isn't used?
Correct. The button is used for phone calls as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog69 View Post
A car with a built in phone number? Can you tell me more about this? I've never heard of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
I believe it goes through the system that handles onstar since that already uses some kind of cellular service. I may be mistaken about what button is uses (I never used it), but I can put minutes on my car's built in phone number and call people with it while driving.
Correct! The in-car phone, which is a separate phone number assigned to the car, is accessed through this button. So is the BT connection to any personal phone paired to the car, and finally the Mute feature for the radio.
__________________

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down


Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
Seadog69
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
See cp-the-nerd's post below. 1LT does not come stock with BT. My '09 2LT came with it as did my '11 LTZ. The same button is used for Mute, In-car phone through OnStar, and BT, depending on options built into the car and/or installed later.


Correct. The button is used for phone calls as well.




Correct! The in-car phone, which is a separate phone number assigned to the car, is accessed through this button. So is the BT connection to any personal phone paired to the car, and finally the Mute feature for the radio.
How do you get access to the car's own phone number? Does Onstar have to be active inorder to use it? How do you find out the car's phone number? How do you load minutes onto it?
Seadog69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Casper_
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
White
 
Casper_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 206
Gallery: 1
Default Re: Bluetooth Controls on Steering Wheel

I never knew about the phone number. Please tell.
__________________
2009 Malibu LTZ w/ Brick Leather Interior
V6 Automatic w/6 Speed TapShift
Summit White Paint


Mods: White BowTies Front and Back
White Grille, and Fog Light Bezel
White BowTies on CenterCaps
30% Tint
More to Come!
Casper_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
add stereo controls to steering wheel webster Modifications (Generation 7) 7 09-11-2012 09:36 AM
Steering wheel controls working - but Bluetooth & OnStar are not julep Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generation 7) 17 08-31-2012 06:12 AM
Can You Add Steering Wheel Controls bostongmw Modifications (Generation 7) 3 11-21-2010 11:14 PM
steering wheel radio controls?? bucklwi1 Modifications (Generation 7) 6 02-17-2009 02:30 PM
Steering wheel controls mafloyd88 General Discussion (Generation 7) 1 10-31-2008 12:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
The Chevy Malibu Logo, Chevy Malibu Typeface and Chevy Logo are Trademark General Motors. We are in no way affiliated with General Motors, we are simply an enthusiasts' site.