Service Manual - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
1997Malibu
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu Base
Gold

Gallery: 0
Default Service Manual

Is there a free Service Manual for our car?

I need to find parts with partnumbers.
1997Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Default Re: Service Manual

Depends on your library, but if you check gmpartsgiant.com - you can usually find most of the part on the exploded diagrams, and get the partial part numbers off of that.

Where are you looking for parts where you need the numbers?

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
1997Malibu
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu Base
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Depends on your library, but if you check gmpartsgiant.com - you can usually find most of the part on the exploded diagrams, and get the partial part numbers off of that.

Where are you looking for parts where you need the numbers?

RwP
I might need a new steering house
and RR lower arm (some idiot jack lifted the car on this part and it got curved)

I rebuild this car which had been sitting over 5 years.
Just finished overhauling the engine.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Quite often the ACDelco parts are listed at RockAuto for those parts (I presume steering hose, not house, there ... )

I'd be checking there.

And don't buy a cheap part, either.

Oh! Do you mean the trailing arm (which so far I've only found at dealers)? If so, doesn't matter what part # you want, you'll have to order from a GM dealer.

Which motor does your 'Bu have? Have you done any improvements (like the Alero/Grand Am rear discs, the Grand Prix alignment arms in the back, etc.)?

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
MrRichRod
CMF Veteran Member
2012 1LT w/ All-Star
Black Granite

Garage

I know it's not free, but it's pretty close for the type of work you're doing: Check out AllData DIY.com where you can get a three year subscription for $16.95.

I've personally asked for the 5 year subscription for Christmas which is $44.95. The Helm paper alternative is $200.

MrRichRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

AllDataDIY is good, don't misunderstand me!

But it doesn't touch the factory manuals on both my Cougar and when I was still wrenching on the Malibu (before it died - see signature).

OTOH, it's a lot cheaper than the factory manual was for the Malibu (which I have on DVD, and am keeping, so don't ask! *grins* )

RwP

Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
1997Malibu
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu Base
Gold

Quote:
Quite often the ACDelco parts are listed at RockAuto for those parts (I presume steering hose, not house, there ... )

I'd be checking there.

And don't buy a cheap part, either.

Oh! Do you mean the trailing arm (which so far I've only found at dealers)? If so, doesn't matter what part # you want, you'll have to order from a GM dealer.

Which motor does your 'Bu have? Have you done any improvements (like the Alero/Grand Am rear discs, the Grand Prix alignment arms in the back, etc.)?

RwP
I have a 97' Malibu Base 3.1L V6
My car is full stock, just GM replacement parts in the engine compartment.

Parts I am looking for:
-steering housing
-rear wheel aligment arms
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997Malibu View Post
I have a 97' Malibu Base 3.1L V6
My car is full stock, just GM replacement parts in the engine compartment.

Parts I am looking for:
-steering housing
-rear wheel aligment arms
Check at GMPartsGiant.COM and find out what the parts you're looking for are called.

Steering housing - Would that be the steering column, the steering rack, or something else?

Rear wheel alignment arms - Referring to http://www.genmotorinfo.com/FullImag...020711MN07-004 , are you talking about part 11, or parts 15 and 19?

If 11, it's called a trailing arm, and RockAuto lists the Dormans at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7504 .

If 15 and 19, they're called lateral links, and are listed at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...parttype=10414 (rear front and rear rear are the front and rear links, on the rear of the car.)

For 15 and 19, a good substitute would be the Grand Prix arms, which almost fit (you would need to make washers for the spindle, since the hole is a bit larger than the Malibu unit was) and which would make the back end stay a bit more "planted" in hard cornering. OTOH, you may not need or want to do that ... which is find, the original GM design, whereas a bit sucky, at least works for what a family flivver would normally be driven as

RwP

Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
1997Malibu
CMF Rookie Member
1997 Malibu Base
Gold

Quote:
Check at GMPartsGiant.COM and find out what the parts you're looking for are called.

Steering housing - Would that be the steering column, the steering rack, or something else?

Rear wheel alignment arms - Referring to http://www.genmotorinfo.com/FullImag...020711MN07-004 , are you talking about part 11, or parts 15 and 19?

If 11, it's called a trailing arm, and RockAuto lists the Dormans at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7504 .

If 15 and 19, they're called lateral links, and are listed at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...parttype=10414 (rear front and rear rear are the front and rear links, on the rear of the car.)

For 15 and 19, a good substitute would be the Grand Prix arms, which almost fit (you would need to make washers for the spindle, since the hole is a bit larger than the Malibu unit was) and which would make the back end stay a bit more "planted" in hard cornering. OTOH, you may not need or want to do that ... which is find, the original GM design, whereas a bit sucky, at least works for what a family flivver would normally be driven as

RwP
Part 19 is correct; lateral links

I am not sure if steering column is correct, will take drawing to my mechanic to point out.
Steering housing is the part where the rod of steering wheel is connected to.

Thank you very much
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997Malibu View Post
Part 19 is correct; lateral links

I am not sure if steering column is correct, will take drawing to my mechanic to point out.
Steering housing is the part where the rod of steering wheel is connected to.

Thank you very much
At the same site (GMPartsGiant.COM) I hit this picture:

Are you talking about call out 30? If so, that's the steering rack.

If not, is it on this drawing? And if not, can you locate the drawing at GMPartsGiant.COM and see what it's actually called?

RwP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.