09 malibu drivers side headlight went out - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Gallery: 0
Default Re: 09 malibu drivers side headlight went out

Dear blackandchrome,

I have read your post. Please, let me know what the outcome is of your visit to the dealership.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
ElderNurse
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

This is getting to be rediculous! My low beam headlight on the passenger side is out and my 3rd brake light is on when not being used. My battery died a month ago and locked me in the car. Chevrolet you are really letting me down!!! I have a 2009 Malibu LTZ it is a beautiful car but starting to be a thorn in my side.
ElderNurse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
daveyio87
CMF Junior Member
2008 Malibu 1LT
Silver

Pulling the front bumper off on the malibu is quite easy. I can have it off in less than ten minutes. And it can be done on the ground. A bunch of push pins and some 10mm boltd and 7mm bolts. You dont have to remove the wheel house liner just the push pins that hold the liner to the bumper. I havent seen a bad connector on the malibu yet but have seen them on the saturn outlook. Bulbs do burn out they arent made to last like they use to... I had a 90 cadillac with over 140k on it still the original bulbs (i sold it in 08).
daveyio87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

I’m sorry to read about your frustrations with your Malibu, ElderNurse.

The low beam head light is a maintenance item.

Under normal circumstances your concerns with the brake light would be covered under the Bumper to Bumper limited warranty. If you would like me to research the warranty information for your vehicle please, send me a private message with the VIN.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Dilatory
CMF Senior Member
2011 Malibu LS
Gold Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderNurse View Post
This is getting to be rediculous! My low beam headlight on the passenger side is out and my 3rd brake light is on when not being used. My battery died a month ago and locked me in the car. Chevrolet you are really letting me down!!! I have a 2009 Malibu LTZ it is a beautiful car but starting to be a thorn in my side.
The brake light issue is addressed in a post in this very sub-forum.

Your car cannot lock you in, you can pull up on the lock and let yourself out.

It's almost 2013 accounting for the fact that your car was likely assembled in 2008 and your battery before that even your battery is probably pushing 4-5 years old, probably time for a new one, factory batteries rarely last longer than 5 years.

Headlight bulbs are a maintenance item. Again, 3-4 year old bulbs, time for new ones.

Only one of these is abnormal and out of specs but a fix has already been found and it's a matter of reseating connectors and possibly a little dielectric grease. No need to cry wolf.
Dilatory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
ElderNurse
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

The low beam headlight under normal circumstances would be maintenance issue, but after buying the replacement bulb the old bulb started working again and after that it was on and off. It ended up being the wiring harness. This is repaired now. The battery was understandable and replaced promptly. I was locked in the car because there has been a issue with the door hanging and pulling up on it on the driver's side front did not release the lock. All is well after all I love it and even roses have thorns but we try not to get pricked by them while enjoying their beauty. Eldernurse aka Little Red Riding Hood
ElderNurse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Dilatory
CMF Senior Member
2011 Malibu LS
Gold Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderNurse View Post
The low beam headlight under normal circumstances would be maintenance issue, but after buying the replacement bulb the old bulb started working again and after that it was on and off. It ended up being the wiring harness. This is repaired now. The battery was understandable and replaced promptly. I was locked in the car because there has been a issue with the door hanging and pulling up on it on the driver's side front did not release the lock. All is well after all I love it and even roses have thorns but we try not to get pricked by them while enjoying their beauty. Eldernurse aka Little Red Riding Hood
Well, at least you have a sense of humor about it xD

Glad you got everything worked out, nothing is without its kinks. For all the flack people give GM I really think they get most things more or less right, just have to rub your car the right way sometimes.

With that said, the bumper design IS a bit goofy but, once you do one side, the other side and repeated removals really aren't that difficult. Did one side in about 40 minutes the first time I attempted it and can do each side in 15-20 now. It's something that has to be dealt with every few years but ultimately it's not a deal breaker.
Dilatory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #18
RMal
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
Pewter

I have an 09 Malibu and like I see on here the driver side bulb keeps going out. When I opened it up again, I noticed the socket that the bulb plugged into was melted on one side. I went to Autozone and purchased a replacement socket. The factory socket had 3 wires (1, yellow, and 2 black). The replacement socket from Autozone only as 2 black wires coming from it... How do I wire this socket up?
RMal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
dc2009
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS
Imperial Blue

The 2 black wires on the factory socket are spliced together inside the socket.

When you cut off the old socket splice the 2 black wires along with one of the wires from the new socket together. Splice the yellow wire to the other wire from the new socket. FYI the black wires are ground and the yellow wire is the switched 12 V.

Make sure your electrical splices are mechanically solid, solder them if possible. Also make sure the splices are weatherproofed. If you don't you will be doing this again sooner than you want to.

For maximum bulb life do not touch the glass portion of the bulb with your bare hands, use a clean rag or paper towel. Some dielectric grease on the bulbs contacts is not a bad idea either.
dc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Cizzle714
CMF Senior Member
2010 Malibu 1LT
black

How do you get the front bumper off in 15-20 min and without pulling back the wheel well shroud? There are 2 bolts on each side that hold the bumper to the front fender.
Cizzle714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.