Need your opinion. 2009 Malibu Hybrid with 121K mileage. Was used as an taxi. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
laptopdesktop
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu hybrid
white

Gallery: 0
Default Need your opinion. 2009 Malibu Hybrid with 121K mileage. Was used as an taxi.

I got my license about 6 months ago. Had been using rental car since, traveling from NY to Virginia once a week.
I am thinking to get my first car, and I found
-2009 Malibu Hybrid,
-121K miles on it,
-was used as a taxi in NYC.
-The dealer bought the car from the auction
-This car has been listed as a dealer vehicle for 1.5 year. The odometer reading went 120K to 121.6K for the whole 1.5 year.
-Within FIRST 15 Months, the car odometer was rack to 94K, but as being used as NYC taxi, that's a normal number.

-car's interior in fair condition ( i can live with that)
-had my mechanic checked on it, and everything is good except the alternator
-the dealer will fix the alternator tomorrow.
-car has been repainted, from yellow to white.
-sell for $6000
- dealer sells the car as is
-my mechanic said that the car has been fairly maintained.

I need your opinion before i am getting the car within this week.
The thing that I am aware is the transmission and the engine.
Anybody have problem with 09 Malibu high mileage?

Should I get it or not ?
laptopdesktop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Need your opinion. 2009 Malibu Hybrid with 121K mileage. Was used as an taxi.

Trans might be worth looking at. They're "engineered" to go 200K before failing, but that's just in the lab. On the street who knows? City driving, stop&go, kills a trans. They get hotter and shift a lot more than if those were highway miles.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd
Default Re: Need your opinion. 2009 Malibu Hybrid with 121K mileage. Was used as an taxi.

I wouldn't touch it. For $6000 you can get much lower mileage compact or midsize vehicle just a year or two older. Something with, say, 50k miles will be much more reliable.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Malo83
CMF Veteran Member
08 Malibu LTZ
White

Gallery: 5

A Taxi in NYC, No, No, No
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
GolfTango
CMF Senior Member
2009 Aura XE
Carbon Flash

I personally would not ever consider purchasing an ex-cab as my own personal vehicle, especially an ex-NYC cab! With the constant abuse put on them, potholes, idling, shoddy maintenance and 120K of 99.9% city traffic mileage.

I was under the assumption that ex-NYC cabs pretty much either end up in the crusher, or go on to other lives as cabs/livery. Remember, there is no warranty as soon as they are branded for cab use.

Edit: Is this it?

http://www.esautoonline.com/inventor...ce=-1&keyword=

And based on that VIN, I do see it listed here for Cab service:

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...1EVoXdkP_mWVpw

And checking Compnine, it was listed as a fleet vehicle, but in Olympic White, so I don't think it was ever "yellow"

OP, you are much, much better off with something like this based on a 6K budget:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

Or

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=3&Log=0

Or

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

Last edited by GolfTango; 12-12-2012 at 07:18 AM.
GolfTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
laptopdesktop
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu hybrid
white

Thanks for everyone who replied. I ended up getting another car. DONT BUY THIS CAR. The dealer, E&S AUTO, south hackensack, new jersey, is a con artist. We lost our $500 deposit. We were getting run around. Every single word that came out from their word, is a lies. The dealer name is George and Elias. We unable to get the car, 2 weeks after we get the deposit.

Vehicle VIN #1G1ZF57599F141124, 2009 Chevy Malibu.
Dealer full address information:
Name:E&S Auto
Dealer person :Elias and George (father and sons)
Address : 125 Saddle River Avenue, South Hackensack, NJ 07606
Phone number : 201 880 8166 or 201 983 3156

First,before I get there the first time, we dont have a mechanic me, so I inspect the car, only found an engine light on, and battery light on. I put the $500 deposit, because my wife love the car so much, and I feel , put $500 maybe worth it.
2nd time we went there, before we went there, I call him, and ask him to make sure that the car have no any warning lights on. It takes me #$%#$%^ 2 hours to get to their filthy place. Well, guess what, he bought a new battery, and he havent put the battery yet. Then he told their mechanic to replace the battery.
I brought my mechanic, and found out that the alternator is bad.
We argued with him for over 1 hour, and he agreed to replace the alternator with no fee. He promise tomorrow the car will done.

Make long story short, Guess what, I call him every day, asking whether the car is done or not, he lied everytime. We waited 2 weeks, the car havent done yet. They keeps lying, lying and lying. They blame their mechanic. They blame that they received a wrong part from the supplier.

2 things that he blatantly lied to us.

1, We put the $500 deposit down, everythng is signed on the paper. We caught him posting another same ad, same car to craigslist, not 1 time, but 3 or 5 times. When I ask him, why he still advertise the car ? he answered, because he have another same exact car. Who the hell have the same exact car, with the same holes, same interior, same exterior, same VIn. Then I asked him, why cant I take the other "same" car ?. He cant answer my question.

2, He said that the alternator is good, but the battery module is bad. He said that 2 times he received a wrong parts from the supplier. And I ask him, can you send me the invoice proof, or any proof that he actually order the parts. He cant answer that question.

They said that they have been in business for over 30 years, but their place is like a junk yard. Filthy.

When they get your money, that's it. You are all done. This car is in bad transmission. It is not worth it. Bad engine also. VERY VERY BAD INTERIOR. Remember, this was used as an taxi. Dont buy this car, believe me.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 12-23-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Language
laptopdesktop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Sounds like you might have a legal case, or if not, you might be able to go to the local TV station and let them help you make it public.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

$500 isn't worth a legal case. At best, even if you win and get compensated for all of your money as well as your legal fees, you've still wasted days of your time. At worst, you'll be paying legal fees out of pocket for way more than you lost on the deposit.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
malibu_2010
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopdesktop View Post
Thanks for everyone who replied. I ended up getting another car. DONT BUY THIS CAR. The dealer, E&S AUTO, south hackensack, new jersey, is a con artist. ......
Contact Federal Trade Commission https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
they will get your money.
malibu_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.