Map Light Dislocation, HELP! - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
bme43713
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist Metallic

Gallery: 0
Default Map Light Dislocation, HELP!

Hello all!

First off I just wanted to thank everyone for contributing in the other thread I had posted a few days ago, really solid information.

New problem however. And I could really use some help. I decided that I wanted to install LED interior lighting in place of the incandescent light bulbs that came with the car. DrivenDaily had a post about how to remove the map light covers and so I did that. And inside I found the little incandescent bulb I wanted to replace. Now I have larger hands and couldn't really get my fingers on the bulb, so try after try I couldn't get it free. I saw 2 small clips on the sides of a black socket that held the bulb and thought hey, maybe these are holding it in place.

I used a flat screwdriver and pushed the clips in. Much to my surprise (and dismay!) the clips didn't hold the bulb at all, rather they held the socket in place. So now I have a map light bulb/socket not held in by anything and it is free to just float around and move up towards the wiring that is above it. This poses a rather serious problem because as we know, those bulbs get hot. I don't want to hit a bump in the road, have the bulb shoot up over head and melt wiring.

I already accept full blame for being a dumbass in thinking those clips held the bulb. Also learned my lesson and will not be replacing my interior lighting, lol. But in all seriousness, I spent 20 minutes trying to pull the clips back into place and I just can't do it. I can only fit 2 fingers in the hole which doesn't provide enough grip on anything to pull. And I'm also afraid if I put too much pressure on the bulb it will bust and then I'm really screwed.

Please, pretty please, if anyone can held me think of a way of resecuring this bulb I will forever be in your debt.
bme43713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Map Light Dislocation, HELP!

Is this the light next to the mirror or the once in the center of the roof?

The light up inside the roof will be on only as long as the others. It'll get quite warm but unless you're keeping the doors open for, like, hours, the wiring shouldn't suffer any melting issues.

I'll take the time to disassemble and take pictures once you let us know which light it is, but it'll need to wait until after work today.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

If I understand you, just push down on the socket until it clips back into place.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
bme43713
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Gold Mist Metallic

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. Been really busy at the office. Thanks again for the input! No disassembly needed Driven Daily, I got it. And greenman, grabbing the socket wasn't very easy with my fingers, lol. The socket had sucked back into the over plastic console, but I was able to use some fishing Line to grab it and then small needle nose pliers to pull it back into place. Thanks again for your help!
bme43713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.