Needin some advice on HIDs - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Silvermalibu09
CMF Rookie Member
09 Malibu Ls
Silver

Gallery: 0
Post Needin some advice on HIDs

I have been checkin out some hids for my malibu.. I would like to install both high and low beams.. I have no idea what brand hid kit to buy any suggestions?
Silvermalibu09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
vachevy09
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver

Default Re: Needin some advice on HIDs

I would go with DDM Tuning, good kits with good prices. The only downside to why I wont put HID's in my malibu is becase of the effort to remove the bumper just to install. Also you take the risk on when one of those bulbs or ballasts goes bad you have to go through the same process all over again.
Malibu Maxx SS STB
Sportwing Spoiler Lip
Lower Mesh Grille
vachevy09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Silvermalibu09
CMF Rookie Member
09 Malibu Ls
Silver

Yeah. Its a long drawn out process... But im sure itd be well worth it.. And another problem still exists 35 watt or 55 watt hids? Im new to all this im not sure which would be best... I know 55 watt is brighter just dont know what is the factory wattage.. 35 or 55 ya know what i mean..
Silvermalibu09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
RalphP
CMF Veteran Member
2000 Base Base
Burgundy

That would be easy to find out. You have a H11 low beam, factory rated at 50W. You have a H9 high beam, factory rated at 65 watts.

One more possibilty - well, two more - 1) Add a heavy-gauge wire relay harness to power the lights, so that you get more of the voltage of the battery to the lights (on my 2000, I went from 12-something to right at 14V with the motor at 2000 RPM approx ... and you could tell the difference on factory lamps with that!)

2) There's a method of replacing the H11 with a H9 to increase the output by almost 75% (from 1200 lumens to 2100 lumens). Here's one write up: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2083911

Before you spent the money on HIDs that aren't focused right in your lamps, you may want to consider that instead. 75% more light with no loss of life is ... a nice consideration!

RwP
335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Also consider that HIDs in a reflector housing designed for halogens with the filament aligned one direction and the HIDs are perpendicular will scatter the light all over the place. To get the most benefit from HIDs you need projector lenses that gather the light and focus them into a useable pattern. Otherwise you just have a bunch light all over the place not helping you as much as the original halogens and blinding oncoming traffic.

The whole idea behind getting brighter lights is to have more on the road where you need it. Just replacing the halogens with HIDs will not yield the results you seek unless you get a complete projector conversion that can be aimed.

Even though the advertised life is only about as long as the Silver Star Ultras there are Silver Star zXe bulbs available that claim to be even brighter and whiter while still being halogen. I've checked and can't find HIR bulbs in H11 or H9 - dang! And the 9012 will not physically fit in the opening of an H11.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
itsbmw
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
Black

HID high beams are pointless, they are going to have to fire up and warm up which takes a while. Plus it's bad to "hotspot" HIDs, i.e. turn them on then right back off. The salts in the bulbs heat up, but also need to cool down.

If you really want bi-xenon then do a retrofit like I have with bi-xenon projectors. that way you get HID high and low beams the proper way.

HIDs should not be installed in reflectors.. to each their own.
itsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
repairman54
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS 2.4
Carbon Mist Met.

Garage

HID in my lows, regular filament bulbs in the highs. NO issues. Plenty of light.
Reflectors have a nice tight pattern, sharp cutoff in the vertical / left areas.
Make sure you align not to blind, that's part of the responsibility of putting them in, unlike the fart can crowd.......
99 Yukon
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
GolfTango
CMF Senior Member
2009 Aura XE
Carbon Flash

Unless you plan on retrofitting projectors, a leveling mechanism and true HID bulbs, don't even attempt it. Other motorists will thank you.

Folks that just buy any cheap HID bulb off of eBay and use the US DOT reflectors get my high beams.

You want better light output, may I suggest Philips Xtreme Visions.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
mysilversurfer 12
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1lt
silver ice metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
That would be easy to find out. You have a H11 low beam, factory rated at 50W. You have a H9 high beam, factory rated at 65 watts.

One more possibilty - well, two more - 1) Add a heavy-gauge wire relay harness to power the lights, so that you get more of the voltage of the battery to the lights (on my 2000, I went from 12-something to right at 14V with the motor at 2000 RPM approx ... and you could tell the difference on factory lamps with that!)

2) There's a method of replacing the H11 with a H9 to increase the output by almost 75% (from 1200 lumens to 2100 lumens). Here's one write up: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2083911

Before you spent the money on HIDs that aren't focused right in your lamps, you may want to consider that instead. 75% more light with no loss of life is ... a nice consideration!

RwP
has anyone here ever tried the h9 in the low beams in the malibus and if so were there any problems with too much heat in the wires or in the housing with both high and low beams on for a period of time and does the beam pattern change because of the extra light output?
mysilversurfer 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

The problem in not so much heat in the wires since the wires to the lows and highs are the same - too small! The issue is the H9 doesn't have the glare guard on the end of the bulb and is therefore illegal (and inconsiderate) to use as a low beam.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.