Transmission - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Ellen
CMF Rookie Member
2006 Malibu 1LT

Gallery: 0
Default Transmission

I have a 2006 Malibu-3.5 LT-76000 miles. 2 days ago while driving, I heard a noise, the rpms went into the red,engine light and TC light came on and the car lost power. Now I'm told (according to a friend of mine who read the error code), I need a transmission. Is there a possibility it is something else? I've driven it 3 times so far-just to work and home(less than 6 miles). I use my flashers and don't go over 40mpr. Strange,it feels like its pulling on the right. Like the wheel is turning slower the then the rest. The engine light remains on and the TC light comes on intermittently. Any thoughts?
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
RonNVA
CMF Junior Member
1998 Malibu LS

Default Re: Transmission

Hey Ellen,

There are some great people on the forum that can help diagnose a lot of problems, but they are probably going to need a bit more information. Can you tell us what code or codes were read? Any additional information that you can post will help improve the quality of the responses. Good luck with your problem, and best wishes for a happier new year!
RonNVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

If you're driving on the freeway at 40 mph you might want to consider taking surface streets instead. You could easily be rear-ended or cause someone else to have an accident when they overtake you at closing speeds above 20 and don't realize it, then swerve.

You could have a failed hub sensor or wiring and have no transmission issue at all. More info for our members that will be helping you would be good.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Ellen
CMF Rookie Member
2006 Malibu 1LT

Sorry, I did not ask him the code. And thankgoodness, I'm not doing any freeway /highwaydriving. All residential back roads for me!
I'm curious about the "failed hub sensor" What would be the symptoms?
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
RonNVA
CMF Junior Member
1998 Malibu LS

I'm not sure what all of the sysmptoms would be, but I can tell you what I experienced. I had the left front hub go out on my car about two years ago. I first noticed an issue when I was parking in front of my townhouse, on a slight slope. When I applied the brakes to pull into the space, once in a blue moon the ABS system would activate and I could feel the brakes pulsating on the front. It was a very infrequent thing. Eventually, the symptom became when I would first back out of my parking space in the morning, and start accelerating up the hill the warning chime might ding and I would get an error indicator on the dash. Once again, did not happen every time, but I noticed it was happening more frequently. If I turned the car off and restarted, the error would go away. I never noticed any issues with braking. After a few of these episodes I decided to have it checked out. I had the codes read, and it pointed to insufficient speed from the left wheel hub sensor. After I replaced the hub, the problem went away.

Can you ask your friend what the specific codes he pulled were? It might be best to take the car into a dealership or shop for more diagnosis......
RonNVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.