Very Frustrated over key fob and locks - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Very Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
I have the keylessfix inserts and they fixed my issue. (Link is to my thread.)
I thought you got new replacement button pads but you got the inserts. I'm betting the inserts last longer. I just bought two also.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

To save insane amounts of money on dealer visits, buy the factory replacement parts yourself online. That way all you pay for is labor.

Here is the lock actuator for your failing door lock:

http://www.newgmparts.com/parts/2009...OCK%20ACTUATOR

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Very Frustrated over key fob and locks

To upgrade the lock actuators from the latch/lock combo style and separate the lock from the latch you can read the following thread on how to do it yourself:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=9688

Read it first, but after you do you'll discover that you can usually get the parts to do all 4 doors for under $50!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
mvenditello
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
GREY

I could not agree more with the opening thread. I had my key fob for 2 years after that all hell broke out and even if I get it replaced I still need all 4 door lock actuators replaced. 288 x 4 doors= 1152 plus tax. On top of 1250 plus tax for the front lower ball joint and Intermediate shaft and Power Steering column. (750 + 1250 + 1152 = 3152 plus tax). WHATS NEXT???
mvenditello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
charts.1
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu ltz
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Very common issue. And I agree with you GM should be paying for it. The other three latches will fail also. There's a fatal flaw in the part design.
The dealers now have a new micro-film type shim that fits over the contacts of the inside of the fob.

I live in Canada cost me $20 from the chevy dealer. All contact points now work great.
charts.1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
scott37300
CMF Junior Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvenditello View Post
I could not agree more with the opening thread. I had my key fob for 2 years after that all hell broke out and even if I get it replaced I still need all 4 door lock actuators replaced. 288 x 4 doors= 1152 plus tax. On top of 1250 plus tax for the front lower ball joint and Intermediate shaft and Power Steering column. (750 + 1250 + 1152 = 3152 plus tax). WHATS NEXT???
I realise not everyone likes to or can repair their car but the door locks are easy, basically if you can operate a screwdriver you have the skills to do the locks. even getting GM parts I think they average about 75 bucks a piece so 300 dollars in parts and a couple hours of work and you save yourself 852 bucks. Sucks that it's a crappy design and GM doesn't just come out and say that the locks suck and they will replace them but it is what it is and every car has it's common porblems. I'm more frustrated that chevy didn't give us a servicable trans fluid filter then about the lock issue. I can fix the locks but can't service my trans filter.

Is the ball joint and intermediate shaft and power steering column a common problem also? I've never heard about them before?
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen0157 View Post
I bought my 2009 Malibu new in June 2009........since that time, my sunroof has leaked twice. This time "not under warranty" (42,000 miles). Although the first time I took it in it was covered....same issue.....same "repair".....ugh GM is "covering 55%" per the dealer....so my part is $189..I think they should cover 100% for a known issue......

My key fob won't unlock my doors or remote start my car.......AGAIN.... this is my second key fob since buying the vehicle. Don't they make things to last? Why do I need to pay another $195 for a new key fob? I don't throw my keys around or bang them. They are in my purse or on the tv.......

My back door doesn't always unlock....to fix that they have to replace the whole mechanism....$288

I can't afford to spend money on things that I've already had "repaired" by the dealer..........this is ridiculous!

I love my Malibu -- but after only 42,000 miles I wouldn't expect to be have these kind of issues - for a second time!
I would like to look into this a little further for you. Please send us your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership name to my inbox. From there we can explore our resources to see if there is anything that is available. Also, please include a list of the first time repair dates and mileage if you have it for each repair.

Brandon (assisting Michelle)
Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by charts.1 View Post
The dealers now have a new micro-film type shim that fits over the contacts of the inside of the fob.

I live in Canada cost me $20 from the chevy dealer. All contact points now work great.

Does it look like this? The Keylessfix.com guy is Canadian. My dealership's service adviser has never seen these.

http://www.keylessfix.com/shop/index...ssfix-pad.html
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
gwen0157
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks everyone for all the DIY info.........I've already paid for the repairs........I am not mechanically inclined - but I DO have a screwdriver and will keep your info so should the other 3 doors have the same hiccup, I'll be able to try to save some money at least.

The key fob -- if the circuit board is bad (again) I'll have to replace that before I get the silicone top to replace the manufacturer one, right? I tried replacing the battery alone and that didn't work.......

BUT - if the dealers now have the silicone sheet to go in between the buttons and the circuit board, why wouldn't they have done that for me???
Or at least told me to sit tight until they received them to fix it.....

I dunno.

Michelle, thanks for looking into things for me.

Much appreciation to all of you. I value all of your experience and knowledge. I have no one else to turn to. My son lives 1500 miles away. Sincere appreciation.
gwen0157 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen0157 View Post

The key fob -- if the circuit board is bad (again) I'll have to replace that before I get the silicone top to replace the manufacturer one, right? I tried replacing the battery alone and that didn't work.......

BUT - if the dealers now have the silicone sheet to go in between the buttons and the circuit board, why wouldn't they have done that for me???
Or at least told me to sit tight until they received them to fix it.....
Fob:

in 99.9% of cases:

if some of the buttons still work-problem is with the button pad conductive surface wearing away-easy fix

if none of the buttons work-problem is with the battery arms not properly soldered to the board-easy fix

It's just that simple. Dealer has every incentive to replace your fob at around $200 each, doesn't he?

You could call your service adviser & ask if they know anything about the fob inserts for '05-'10 GM fobs. I'd be curious what they tell you.

I see Keylessfix is selling the inserts on ebay for 10 bucks each now (wondering if he's just a reseller or the patent holder):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Key-Remot...-/220687388486

Last edited by greenman; 01-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.