Laptop able to edit HD movies? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

Gallery: 0
Default Laptop able to edit HD movies?

My kids wants to buy a digital movie camera and a laptop. The purpose of the laptop is to edit the HD movies they make. I'm so far behind on the latest computers and I don't want to spend a fortune. I can buy a new laptop for $300. Will pretty well any laptop be able to edit HD movies, or do I have to go high end? Thanks for your input.
Drunken Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
TSquare
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LS
Gold Mist

Gallery: 2
Default Re: Laptop able to edit HD movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Elvis View Post
My kids wants to buy a digital movie camera and a laptop. The purpose of the laptop is to edit the HD movies they make. I'm so far behind on the latest computers and I don't want to spend a fortune. I can buy a new laptop for $300. Will pretty well any laptop be able to edit HD movies, or do I have to go high end? Thanks for your input.
If you can, check to see if it comes with Windows Live Movie Maker. My Vista desktop came with it and it is 3 or 4 years old now. Or it may be a free download from Microsoft. It is a nice, easy to use program.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
michaelj3
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Mocha Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Elvis View Post
It depends on just exactly how much editing you want to do. If it is Occasional editing, about any of the current laptops will do the job.

If you are going to do it more than a couple times a month, I recommend springing for at least a Core i5 based laptop and preferably with what is known as Discrete Graphics. The new Intel integrated graphics HD 4000 isn't bad, but a system with a separate (discrete) graphics processor (GPU) from either Nvidea or ATI/AMD is really a better choice. Beyond that, look for DDR 3 Memory, a good sized Hard Drive, and USB 3.0 (aka USB Super Speed). The faster memory and faster USB ports will allow you to move the data to and from the camera faster.

I did a fair amount of HD movie editing on my Mac Intel Core2 Duo last spring, and I was kicking myself for not springing for the discrete graphics. It would literally take overnight to transcode a 30-40 minute HD movie. I got the project done, but learned a lesson.

I would say in the $500-$600 range is where you want to be. The $300 stuff is not going to be real good for movie editing. Watch the Black Friday ads, good news is, Christmas time is usually a good time to score a deal on a laptop.

These are just my opinions, others may disagree. Good luck.
85 Toyota Tercel (1988-1998)
93 Geo Prism (1993-1999)
96 Chevy Tahoe LT (1996-1997)
98 Chevy Tahoe LT (1998-2001)
99 Chevy Venture Ext (1999-2008)
99 Chevy Suburban LT (2001-2004)
04 Chevy Suburban LT (2004-2013)
08 Honda Odyssey (2008-2010)
10 Honda Odyssey (2010-Present)
12 Chevy Malibu (2012-Present)
13 Chevy Suburban LTZ (2013-Present)
michaelj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
ElantraMax
CMF Veteran Member

Stay away from the Integrated Video with Shared Memory. Try to find one that has a Dedicated VC. It will perform better. MacBook Pro is commonly used for Video production. Or so I was told.
ElantraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

I ended up buying a desktop computer for about $550. I am not really up on the latest computers but I know it's an A 10 quad core with 12 GB of DDR3 ram. It's doing the job for now. Thanks for everyone's help.
Drunken Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
ElantraMax
CMF Veteran Member

With the Desktop, You can add a Video Card later if needed. Use a PCIE16x model. As well as additional Hard Drives as needed. Depending on how deep into home video they get.

What brand desktop? Acer? HP?

Last edited by ElantraMax; 01-06-2013 at 03:41 AM.
ElantraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.