Motor Trend: new Malibu is worst/most disappointing new car... - Page 7 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #61
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Re: Motor Trend: new Malibu is worst/most disappointing new car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charts.1 View Post
These cars are a tough sell. Even many who have bought the 2013 malibu eco, if you look on autotrader.com you will see hundreds of low mileage EOC'S already for sale by their owners.

After the powertrain warranty runs out, and if you keep the eco longer what does it cost to have the Ion battery replaced when it craps outs and needs replacement? Much like the chevy Volt. The battery in that is over $8,000, who is going to fork out $8,000 after 10 years of service when the car then is worth half the cost of a new battery. The car would be worth only scrap.

A lot of figuring out has to be done, but most people would rather drive and enjoy their cars instead of continually crunching numbers.

just my opinion......
I agree just like everyone else does that the 2013 Malibu isn't selling all that well, that is why they had to shut down it's production for a while.

I looked on Auto trader like you suggested and I see a total of two 2013 malibus for sale by private owner within a 500 mile radius of me. Both are Ecos and one is 202 miles away while the other is 579 miles away.

I then looked at all 2013 Chevys for sale by private ownerand I saw that there are 3 2013 Camaros for sale by private owner within 500 miles from me. 1 is 141 miles away, 1 is 145 miles away and 1 is 228 miles away.

Also 1 2013 Avalanche was for sale.

Using your logic the Malibu is selling better than the Camaro I guess.

I don't think I've seen one other 2013 Malibu on the road that I can remember.

I have no idea how much the battery costs in the ECO. I know there is a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on the eassist components which includes the battery so I'm not worried personally. If the battery goes after that it should be less in price than it is now whatever the cost is.
The ECO is a less complicated machine than the VOLT so I would think the battery would be less expensive but I'm not sure. The Volt can run off the battery alone but the ECO doesn't have that powerful of a battery, it cannot run solely on the battery in the trunk. It uses the battery to give it a boost in power and to run the electronics while the car is shut off.
Where did you come up with the cost for the Volt battery by the way? Any sources for that cost? I have not seen an exact price just a few people's guesses.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #62
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charts.1 View Post
Sorry for my ignorance. What does 20/20 tint mean?

Is that legal in all states? I am just asking.
20/20 tint is referring to the front and back tint so he means he has 20% tint on front windows and 20% on the back.
20% means it lets 20% of light in, the lower the number the darker it is.

No it is not legal in all states, in Virginia for example it is only legal wjhen it is 50 on the front and 35 on the back it is also not legal in Oklahoma where mzodarg is. Oklahoma law states 25% front and back. See here for more info http://www.tintlaws.com/

To complicate it further, even though I have 50 on front and 35 on back like the law says, I am still not legal though because the windows already had a slight tint from factory so putting the legal tint on them brought it even darker so I am guessing our car is more like 40 front and 25 rear or something, which is in fact illegal.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #63
charts.1
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu ltz
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrunch View Post
I agree just like everyone else does that the 2013 Malibu isn't selling all that well, that is why they had to shut down it's production for a while.

I looked on Auto trader like you suggested and I see a total of two 2013 malibus for sale by private owner within a 500 mile radius of me. Both are Ecos and one is 202 miles away while the other is 579 miles away.

I then looked at all 2013 Chevys for sale by private ownerand I saw that there are 3 2013 Camaros for sale by private owner within 500 miles from me. 1 is 141 miles away, 1 is 145 miles away and 1 is 228 miles away.

Also 1 2013 Avalanche was for sale.

Using your logic the Malibu is selling better than the Camaro I guess.

I don't think I've seen one other 2013 Malibu on the road that I can remember.

I have no idea how much the battery costs in the ECO. I know there is a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on the eassist components which includes the battery so I'm not worried personally. If the battery goes after that it should be less in price than it is now whatever the cost is.
The ECO is a less complicated machine than the VOLT so I would think the battery would be less expensive but I'm not sure. The Volt can run off the battery alone but the ECO doesn't have that powerful of a battery, it cannot run solely on the battery in the trunk. It uses the battery to give it a boost in power and to run the electronics while the car is shut off.
Where did you come up with the cost for the Volt battery by the way? Any sources for that cost? I have not seen an exact price just a few people's guesses.
These prices were mentioned 2 years ago on chevrolet websites. The battery on the volt runs almost the entire length of the car in a y shape. It weighs over 350 pounds. That is why the volt retails for what it does, the electrical components are very expensive.

I am not sure if the battery in the Eco is replacement cost up to 8 years or pro rated cost much like a regular 12 volt battery in a car.

Most 12 volt batteries have 24 or 36 months free replacement, with pro rated value as each month after goes by after that.
charts.1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #64
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

There is no prorating as far as I know.
Here is a 2011 Volt warranty and it makes no mention of pro-rating except for tires.
Let me know if you see otherwise.
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...t_warranty.pdf

I do see this when they are talking about the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on the battery...
Quote:
Under warranty, the high voltage
battery will be replaced with either a
new or factory reconditioned high
voltage battery with an energy
capacity (kWh storage) level at or
above that of the original battery
prior to the failure.
Your Volt battery warranty
replacement may not return your
vehicle as an “as new” condition,
but it will make your Volt fully
operational appropriate to its age
and mileage.
Sounds kind of like they could put a less powerful battery than the original in. Like for instance if your car is 7 years old and they expect the battery to be about 50% and the battery dies then they could put a battery with 50% life left in it or something.

I will have to look at the Malibu warranty but I don't remember seeing anything about it being pro-rated either.

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint

Last edited by nutcrunch; 01-07-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #65
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

I just saw that the Malibu ECO battery is but 65lb.

I see here people discussing the price of the Volt battery
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....y-cost-in-2020

Someone in January of 2012 said the battery is listed for a bit below $3,000 but can be had for as low as $2,250
Expensive but far from $8,000

Here it is listed as just a little under $3,000
http://www.newgmparts.com/parts/2011...bgroup=BATTERY

I also see someone saying you still need to add a few more battery cell modules that cost about $1400 for some reason (doesn't make much sense to me) so that could add up close to $8,000.

Still not too worried though since I don't have a Volt

White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint

Last edited by nutcrunch; 01-07-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #66
charts.1
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu ltz
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
Just for sh!ts and giggles I searched Autotrader, there are 7 13 Malibu's within a 400 mile radius of my location. One of which is the one I traded in, 3 were 2.5 ltr ones.

As I've stated before, I don't see many on the road in my city. There certainly isn't a market full of used ones on Autotrader, at least not in my area.

Tre'
I didn't say there were hundreds of malibus within a 400 mile range, I stated there are hundreds of used 2013 malibus for sale on AUTOTRADER.COM

If you punch in 2013 malibu NATIONAL on Autotrader you will see this morning January 8th, there are 581 USED 2013 Malibus for sale and MOST are ECO models.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #67
mzodarg
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 2LTZ
White Diamond

Hey charts.1, I wasn't calling you out on BS, just stating that within 400 miles of me there isn't many used ones out there. Nothing more nothing less other. This is most likely due to the low sales volume.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #68
dcsforum
CMF Rookie Member

I'm in a GM family and have honestly been planning on getting a new Malibu for about 3 years. I was holding out as long as I could to save money and then decided to wait until the new 2013 model came out about a year ago. Then I decided to wait until the 2.5L model came out last summer to see how the mainstream model would do.

So, I obviously saw all the negative reviews and I went and checked the car out multiple times. I was most frustrated by the lack of room in the back seat. For our family of 4, I considered it a virtual deal-breaker for a sedan in this class. I didn't care about many of the other complaints (styling, different interior textures, etc.) but I had some other issues which I've mentioned here previously.

And then GM came out and announced they were doing an early model refresh on it (in another year) and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I couldn't bring myself to buy the current model knowing that GM was working on fixing some of the issues but not knowing which issues would be address. I question whether it was really beneficial to GM to put that announcement out there when they were already sitting on a 150-day inventory. I can only speak for me and that announcement eliminated the Malibu from consideration. I really perceived their announcement as "yeah, we messed up in some areas but we are working on solutions to some of those things so please go ahead and buy one of these unfixed models."

So, I just bought a new 2013 Equinox. It cost a little more but offers more flexible space for an active family (and a lot of room in the back seat with the sliding rear seat) and still offers respectable fuel economy. The Equinox is in the 4th model year and they sold over 400,000 the last two years (combined) so I hope they've worked most of the bugs out of it by now.

I'm honestly surprised the Malibu isn't selling better as I don't really think it's a bad car. A lot of people don't care much about the back seat room and I think it's a nice car otherwise. I wish it was a little less expensive in leather trim and got a little better fuel economy (and weighed a little less) but I'm surprised that sales of a sleek new widely-appealing model didn't pick up better. I mean, Chevy is a mainstream brand and without Pontiac and Olds to siphon away sales, I thought they would sell a lot "just because".

Hope this model turns out to be a winner. As the GM CEO said, they need to be successful in this segment. Maybe we'll pursue one when we need the next vehicle.

dcsforum
dcsforum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #69
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

Well... the Equinox is on the verge of an update too. It's going to get the 2.5L engine, probably at the same time they refresh the Malibu if not sooner.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler, Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s,
GM Performance STB, Amsoil Cone Intake
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #70
charts.1
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu ltz
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsforum View Post
I'm in a GM family and have honestly been planning on getting a new Malibu for about 3 years. I was holding out as long as I could to save money and then decided to wait until the new 2013 model came out about a year ago. Then I decided to wait until the 2.5L model came out last summer to see how the mainstream model would do.

So, I obviously saw all the negative reviews and I went and checked the car out multiple times. I was most frustrated by the lack of room in the back seat. For our family of 4, I considered it a virtual deal-breaker for a sedan in this class. I didn't care about many of the other complaints (styling, different interior textures, etc.) but I had some other issues which I've mentioned here previously.

And then GM came out and announced they were doing an early model refresh on it (in another year) and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I couldn't bring myself to buy the current model knowing that GM was working on fixing some of the issues but not knowing which issues would be address. I question whether it was really beneficial to GM to put that announcement out there when they were already sitting on a 150-day inventory. I can only speak for me and that announcement eliminated the Malibu from consideration. I really perceived their announcement as "yeah, we messed up in some areas but we are working on solutions to some of those things so please go ahead and buy one of these unfixed models."

So, I just bought a new 2013 Equinox. It cost a little more but offers more flexible space for an active family (and a lot of room in the back seat with the sliding rear seat) and still offers respectable fuel economy. The Equinox is in the 4th model year and they sold over 400,000 the last two years (combined) so I hope they've worked most of the bugs out of it by now.

I'm honestly surprised the Malibu isn't selling better as I don't really think it's a bad car. A lot of people don't care much about the back seat room and I think it's a nice car otherwise. I wish it was a little less expensive in leather trim and got a little better fuel economy (and weighed a little less) but I'm surprised that sales of a sleek new widely-appealing model didn't pick up better. I mean, Chevy is a mainstream brand and without Pontiac and Olds to siphon away sales, I thought they would sell a lot "just because".

Hope this model turns out to be a winner. As the GM CEO said, they need to be successful in this segment. Maybe we'll pursue one when we need the next vehicle.

dcsforum
Glad you like it.

Chevy installed new front suspension dampers for 2013 on the Equinox. It is suppose to give a more compliant, better ride than the 2010-2012's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.